PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo Vs Magnet

Midnightbiker
12-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on both. From what I have read, the Voodoo has more glide and is faster. What are the pros and cons?

Three Putt
12-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Hard to say. The Voodoo is new and so it still has the "new car smell" effect...you know, you love your new car until the new car smell goes away and you realize that it's as big a hunk of junk as your last one!

This comparison is off the tee only, since I think all putters are about the same when you are putting: I'd say the Magnet is more forgiving, especially if you get it nose up. You can throw a Magnet high but the Voodoo needs to stay on a low line if it is really going to cook. If you nose up the Voodoo it will stall and hyzer out. The Voodoo is more stable than a Magnet at high speeds, at low speeds they are about the same. Neither one of them is great in the wind, although neither one is terrible in the wind, either. If you nail it, the Voodoo will fly farther. I'm not sure if that is due to better "glide" or not since I think glide is just a made-up term to make us buy discs.

From what I've read of your posts, you really don't care for overstable putters. I think the Voodoo might be more stable than you really want. The Gateway putter that is closer to the Magnet IMO is the Magic, but if you are already throwing Magnets I'd say stick with them for awhile. The Magnet is a really good disc, and it's hard to build your confidence and consistency if you switch your putter a lot. Putting is all confidence, and no disc really makes that difference. There is no magic disc that jumps out of you bag and into the basket. Whatever disc you putt with, it's up to you to put it in the chains. Just keep working with the Magnet and you will get there.

ERicJ
03-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Just posted on the PDGA site (http://www.pdga.com/gateway-voodoo-not-pdga-approved)

Gateway "Voodoo" not PDGA approved: 3/26/2009

http://www.pdga.com/files/images/VOODOO_1.thumbnail.jpg (http://www.pdga.com/photos/gateway-voodoo)
As of 3/24/09, the new "Voodoo" putter by Gateway Disc Sports has not been approved by the PDGA for use in sanctioned events, despite the words "PDGA Approved Golf Disc" in the hotstamp. The Voodoo was recently submitted to the technical standards committee and will be tested as soon as the testing fees have been received by the office.

PDGA Approved Discs & Targets: http://www.pdga.com/tech-standards

Jaysus
03-27-2009, 02:43 PM
I still fully plan on using the Voodoo as my primary putter.

ERicJ
03-27-2009, 02:51 PM
For casual play, no one will care. But if you play in any sanctioned tournaments be prepared that you may get called out on it.

bayouace
03-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on both. From what I have read, the Voodoo has more glide and is faster. What are the pros and cons?

Midnight, do you realize what you are doing? Don't you have 21 Magnets so far? If you like the VooDoo, you'll have serious trama in divesting the Magnets.

I really like my VooDoo and I bought it and a Magnet to compare at the same time, putting both from the same spot in rounds. Previously I used a Challenger Pro D, but I am more consistent with the VooDoo. By the time I get to where I need the VooDoo, no one cares if it is PDGA-approved or not.

Midnightbiker
03-27-2009, 05:23 PM
I met a guy last weekend , and he had one. He let me try it, and that thing drops like a rock. I think I am going to stick with my magnets from now on. The damn thing works, and I guess that all I can ask for. I guess I was looking for the perfect disc.

mmmatt
03-27-2009, 05:53 PM

Don't make me call you out on it in the tourney on Saturday, Jay!
;)

Midnightbiker
03-27-2009, 05:56 PM

I suggest you get a "Mr Clean Magic Eraser" and take the stamp off so nobody can call you out on it in a tournament.

ERicJ
03-27-2009, 06:10 PM
I suggest you get a "Mr Clean Magic Eraser" and take the stamp off so nobody can call you out on it in a tournament.
Advocating cheating...? :confused:

Three Putt
03-27-2009, 09:09 PM
This has been dragging forward on the PDGA site for a couple of weeks now. Basically Dave sent in the discs to be tested 6 months or so ago, but he failed to send in the paperwork and all-important check. The PDGA then did...nothing. So the Voodoo sat out there for six months being used in PDGA events until somebody noticed they were not on the approved list and posted it on the PDGA message board, at which point the PDGA still did nothing for a couple of weeks until they posted the alert yesterday. I think they sent Dave a reminder e-mail last week.

At any rate, the disc has been tested and passed. Gateway just needs to follow up with the $300.00 approval fee.

The other disc that was released at the same time as the Voodoo was the retooled Element X that was re-named the Warrior. It will be the next part of the fight, as the PDGA rules say you can change the mold of a disc without changing the name and you do not have to have the disc re-approved. This is why you have Eagle X's and Eagle L's sold under the same "Eagle" name. The Eagle X mold has never been submitted to or approved by the PDGA, it gets a pass on approval becasue the Eagle L mold was already approved. Same goes for any Innova disc with an X and L mold...only one of the molds was actually approved. Gateway had an overstable driver called the Warrior that was discontinued four or five years ago, so they are contending that the name is "paid for" and the new Element X/Warrior does not need to be approved.

However, the policy states:(E) Retesting
There are several circumstances under which a disc that has been previously approved is required to be submitted for a retesting procedure:
(1) Mold, Material or Production Technique Changes - If there are changes to a mold that has been producing an approved disc, the discs produced by the changed mold may have to be retested for approval. Not all such changes require approval. Retesting is only required if a mold includes the addition or removal of a new structural feature such as a bead, or results in a measurement that may violate any of the technical standards.
(2)Name Changes - If a disc that has previously been approved for PDGA competition is to be marketed under a different name, retesting is required. This process, which requires a retesting fee, will result in the disc being separately listed on the PDGA approved-disc list.Which includes the usual vague wording that really does not clearly spell anything out in black and white that the PDGA is known for. So the issue is as clear as mud, and the Warrior may or may not be approved. At the very least, there is a disc called the "Warrior" on the approved disc list, which is more than you can say for the Voodoo. However, all the measurements and info about it is for an old OOP disc, not the new disc.

Now, there is a very easy fix to this. I'm not sure what the diameter of the new Warrior is, but it is bigger than a Roc. It has to be 21.8 or 21.9 cm, which would make it legal to 181 g's or so. The original Warrior was a 21.0 cm driver, so it was legal to 174 g's. If I was the PDGA, I'd declare any of the new Warriors over 174 g's illegal. I'm pretty sure that would motivate Gateway to have the new Warrior approved.

Midnightbiker
03-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Advocating cheating...? :confused:

Oops, sorry.:o

DWill
03-31-2009, 04:15 PM
Gateway "Voodoo" approved on 3/31/2009 per http://www.pdga.com/

bayouace
03-31-2009, 05:13 PM
Now that it is legal can it still be as much fun?