PDA

View Full Version : Look out Austin, a backswing's a'comin'

backswing_aplenty
02-13-2010, 02:56 AM
The wife got a promotion at work and it's bringing the family out to Austin, TX.

We're coming out the first week of March, just in time to miss most of the weather. Can't wait to get my hands on the courses out there, I've been drooling of reviews and pics for the last week while waiting for a confirmation on the move.

Hope to meet up with the locals on DGCR so they can show me the ropes of the area.

She's working at the Lost Pines Resort east of Austin any specific places to look for residency; good areas, not good areas?

*backswing

Midnightbiker
02-13-2010, 07:57 AM
If for some reason you get anywhere near Houston, let me know.

MoonT4
02-13-2010, 08:03 AM
The wife got a promotion at work and it's bringing the family out to Austin, TX.

We're coming out the first week of March, just in time to miss most of the weather. Can't wait to get my hands on the courses out there, I've been drooling of reviews and pics for the last week while waiting for a confirmation on the move.

Hope to meet up with the locals on DGCR so they can show me the ropes of the area.

She's working at the Lost Pines Resort east of Austin any specific places to look for residency; good areas, not good areas?

*backswing

Lost Pines is nice, that is East on Hwy 71 between Del Valle and Bastrop. Not to far from East Metro, my home course and Met Center a new course that has popped up, I haven't played it yet, but will when the weather clears, I have heard it is muddy out there at Met Center, and with all the rain we have been having, I imagine it might be swampy at this time. There are several courses here in and around the Austin area that I have played and then some that I havent for different reasons. Hit me up with a PM and I will be more than happy to hook up and show you some of the courses that I know, and try out some others in the area that I haven't played. My friends and I usually hook up each weekend to play, some make it every weekend, while others once in a while. We sometimes get 12-14 together to play.

Oh yeah, welcome to Austin

sidewinding
02-13-2010, 08:20 AM
We're coming out the first week of March, just in time to miss most of the weather.

By May you'll realize how funny that sounds to us Texans.

"The Hood" is in East Austin. Bastrop has a nice small town atmosphere located smack dab in "The lost pines of Texas" close to where you're wife will be working but there are no courses within about 40 miles except Moooooody's and it's private and only open for special events.

MoonT4
02-13-2010, 08:25 AM
By May you'll realize how funny that sounds to us Texans.

"The Hood" is in East Austin. Bastrop has a nice small town atmosphere located smack dab in "The lost pines of Texas" close to where you're wife will be working but there are no courses within about 40 miles except Moooooody's and it's private and only open for special events.

THis is good info, I have heard of that Moody's, but haven't had an oppurtunity to play it. I did hear of a tournament "HOTT tourney series" that is going to run through there.

Apothecary
02-13-2010, 09:56 AM
well miss you, b!

discNDav
02-13-2010, 10:00 AM
I was in Austin for 3 days last October, research on this site led me to Circle C and East Manor. Both courses are very good, I haven't rated them myself yet but would give both 4 stars. The Austin area
has over 20 courses to choose from. Austin's 6th Street is a great place to visit and socialize in the evening.

backswing_aplenty
02-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Can't wait. I won't be working for a few months to stay with the kid. Any stroller friendly courses? Flat and grassy?

Really doubt we'll be living in Bastrop. We'll probably settle in the south Austin area as she might have to commute to San Antonio occasionally. I'm kinda nuts about driving for DG, I'll willingly travel 3 hours one way to play a new/good course. Gotta play 'em all!

Midnightbiker
02-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Can't wait. I won't be working for a few months to stay with the kid. Any stroller friendly courses? Flat and grassy?

Really doubt we'll be living in Bastrop. We'll probably settle in the south Austin area as she might have to commute to San Antonio occasionally. I'm kinda nuts about driving for DG, I'll willingly travel 3 hours one way to play a new/good course. Gotta play 'em all!

San Antonio is only 80 miles from Austin, and Austin is only about 2 hours and some change from Houston

McLeod
02-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Circle C is the best I've played in Austin.
Seawright (Spelling?) is fun and easy. Construction may be finished by the time you arrive.
Pease is nice and challenging, but crowded during peak hours.
Zilker is ace runs all the way, not much challenge.

I haven't been to the new course(s) in Bee Caves yet, but nest time I'm in Austin that's where I plan to play. I hear they're tough.

Midnightbiker
02-13-2010, 11:33 PM
I just talked to my wife, and we are going to a wedding just north of Austin in Georgetown in March. The wedding is on a Saturday, so I am going to spend the night and get up Sunday morning and hit a few courses before I head home. More details to come, but I hope to meet up with some members to catch a round or two with.

Dude
02-14-2010, 12:03 AM

In South Austin, Zilker is probably the only course that's strollerable. It's very flat, openish and short. In North Austin/Round Rock: Cat Hollow is rocky but pretty flat; Wilco is probably your best bet. It's very flat but very fun. Old Settler's is flat but pretty long and it's more of a pro/tourney course. Steeplechase in Kyle (South of Austin) is probably strollerable too. Pretty fun little course. If you're way south in Austin, that might be closer than Wilco. Twin Parks is west of town and one of their courses is pretty flat. It's pay to play though but worth it if you can spend the day out there.

But you are in for a treat on the other courses too. Austin does have a lot of courses and for the most part they're all better than average. San Antonio does have some nice courses as well and that's not too bad a drive from South Austin.

In any case, any of y'all who come to Atown give me a yell and I'll be glad to tour guide if I can.

FRIZZLE TOSSLER
02-14-2010, 02:15 AM
Welcome to Austin backswing. You should like it here. Tons of great golf to be had & if you're a fan of live music & open-minded people you'll be in heaven. The food is exceptional as well. Far more than average locally owned restaurants than most other cities this size. This spring should also be exceptionally beautiful w/ all of the rain we got this past fall & winter. Please lemme know if you'd like a guide or a golfin buddy to toss with.

"The Hood" is in East Austin.

I live in East Austin in a very nice family friendly neighborhood. East Austin is changing & I love all of the diversity. Please try not to generalize a whole portion of Austin like that. :thmbdown: Do you even live in Austin???

I just talked to my wife, and we are going to a wedding just north of Austin in Georgetown in March. The wedding is on a Saturday, so I am going to spend the night and get up Sunday morning and hit a few courses before I head home. More details to come, but I hope to meet up with some members to catch a round or two with.

Please lemme know when you come to town. I would love to toss a round w/ ya & could guide you around any course you'd like to try. If you want to play the "best", most challenging course w/ the best views you should check out Austin Ridge Bible Church (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3694).

FRIZZLE TOSSLER
02-14-2010, 02:22 AM
Oh yeah... :doh: Forgot to mention Austin has the largest disc golf retail store in the world. Disc Nation (http://www.discnation.com/Austin-Texas-Disc-Golf-Superstore-sp-13.html) is quite the shopping experience for the avid disc golfer. It's hard to walk out of there w/out depleting your bank acct. They even have a driving range out back where you can test fly any disc u want before buying. :) Enjoy man!

vcadd
02-14-2010, 03:05 AM
There is a nice course(Rivery Park) in Georgetown not far north of Austin.Not far north of that is Lions Park in Temple.Just north of that lies the bEAST,one of the best courses in the state.The other 2 Waco courses are also pretty good.You can see pics of these in my videos.If you go to the D/FW area there are at least 50 or 60 courses within 70 miles.Disc Nation Rules!

skurf
02-14-2010, 02:34 PM
I live in East Austin in a very nice family friendly neighborhood. East Austin is changing & I love all of the diversity. Please try not to generalize a whole portion of Austin like that. :thmbdown: Do you even live in Austin???

There are definitely some neighborhoods in east Austin that would not be the best environment to raise a kid, mainly in southeast Austin like Dove Springs, Franklin Park and others. I know cause I lived there. When my parents could afford it, they moved northwest to the burbs of Anderson Mill to give me a better environment to grow up in. Northeast Austin down to east-central has been undergoing a "gentrification" brought about before the recession by developers tearing down old neighborhoods and putting in strip malls and housing that is too expensive for a lot of economically-stretched people. I have friends that live in east-central Austin, and it's not bad, but stores in east-central still have bars on windows and it just doesn't feel like it would be a good place to raise a family.

If you're looking for a place in south Austin there's some nice family-friendly neighborhoods in Oak Hill, Sunset Valley and of course the community of Circle C. Unfortunately, the course at Circle C is not stroller friendly at all due to lots of rocky hills. I'd recommend Wilco up north for stroller duties-- great course that's flat with nice grassy fairways and smooth paths between holes.

Oh, and Midnight, I'd like to get a round in with ya when you come to Austin. Maybe me, you, Adam (FRIZZLE) and anyone else that would want to could meet up at a course for a round. Send me a PM when you head this way, and same goes for you backswing-- I'm always down for a round.

Midnightbiker
02-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Please lemme know when you come to town. I would love to toss a round w/ ya & could guide you around any course you'd like to try. If you want to play the "best", most challenging course w/ the best views you should check out Austin Ridge Bible Church (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3694).

Wow. I just looked at the pics, and that looks wild. I will make an announcement when it gets closer to the time I am coming to Austin. I am looking at playing on March 14th.

MoonT4
02-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Wow. I just looked at the pics, and that looks wild. I will make an announcement when it gets closer to the time I am coming to Austin. I am looking at playing on March 14th.

Please do, I will be happy to come out and play also, maybe by then I will get a little more confidence in the throwing what I can instead of throwing the fastest disc in my bag.

Midnightbiker
02-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Well, my plan is to get up early Sunday morning, get some breakfast, then hit a good, but easy course. Then go grab a quick lunch at some fast food joint, (Burger King, KFC, what ever). Then I would like to hit that Austin Bible Church. That course looks challenging. Anyone in the area is welcome to join me.

skurf
02-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Well, my plan is to get up early Sunday morning, get some breakfast, then hit a good, but easy course.
I'd go for Cat Hollow. It's up north near Georgetown and is a quick, fun course especially in the morning hours.

Then go grab a quick lunch at some fast food joint, (Burger King, KFC, what ever). Then I would like to hit that Austin Bible Church. That course looks challenging. Anyone in the area is welcome to join me.
There's a Rudy's BBQ on Loop 360 on the way to Austin Ridge that is way better than typical fast food and still just as fast.

backswing_aplenty
02-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Welcome to Austin backswing. You should like it here. Tons of great golf to be had & if you're a fan of live music & open-minded people you'll be in heaven. The food is exceptional as well. Far more than average locally owned restaurants than most other cities this size. This spring should also be exceptionally beautiful w/ all of the rain we got this past fall & winter. Please lemme know if you'd like a guide or a golfin buddy to toss with.

I will definitely need a guide and someone to disc with. Are there many monthlies/weeklies/tournaments in the area? SoCal has a lot of players but not many tourneys. Just renewed my membership and I'd like to use it!

backswing_aplenty
02-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Oh yeah... :doh: Forgot to mention Austin has the largest disc golf retail store in the world. Disc Nation (http://www.discnation.com/Austin-Texas-Disc-Golf-Superstore-sp-13.html) is quite the shopping experience for the avid disc golfer. It's hard to walk out of there w/out depleting your bank acct. They even have a driving range out back where you can test fly any disc u want before buying. :) Enjoy man!

That's bad news for the wife. I'm down the road from the local disc store and I spend way too much money there now when we don't have any extra. I can wait to see how excited she'll be when I've got some extra cash on my pocket...:rolleyes:

Dude
02-15-2010, 01:23 AM
Yeah Midnightbiker, you can play Cat Hollow in no time at all. One of my buddies and I would go after work and finish in an hour. Wilco doesn't take too much longer than that if you wanted to hit a couple courses with less travel time. Really depends on how much time you have before leaving. Ridge is decent drive down south depending on the traffic.

Skurf, I haven't play Ridge in a month or so. Have they cleared up the teeboxes any? There were still stumps in a lot of them when I played. I kinda wanted to wait it out a bit until it was cleaned up.

Backswing, SXSW will be kicking on St. Patty's day this year also. So there will be bands/music/free beer everywhere downtown. Might slow down your disc golf game right when you get here, but it's a lot of fun. And yeah, check out Waterloo Disc Golf Club (http://www.austindiscgolf.org/) for mini info. But there are a lot of other clubs around here as well with minis and there're plenty of people who just go out in groups each day anyway. And in addition to disc nation, there's another new brick and mortar store near Cat Hollow that has a try before you buy area too.

skurf
02-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Skurf, I haven't play Ridge in a month or so. Have they cleared up the teeboxes any? There were still stumps in a lot of them when I played. I kinda wanted to wait it out a bit until it was cleaned up.

I have only played it twice, and neither of those were very recent. The main reason I haven't been back is because of the teeboxes. The first time I was out there I tripped over a stump in the teebox right at the hit and slightly injured myself. It wasn't a pulled muscle or anything, but definitely a strain that lasted for nearly two weeks. I've probably tripped over 6 or 7 stumps at some point in my run-up in just the two times I've played it.

I've heard they're eventually going to put concrete tees in and I might just wait till then to play it again. Plus, I've heard they have a couple pins pulled with possible plans to pull a couple more for construction. I love the course, but the stumps in the teeboxes make it a lot less fun to play, not to mention dangerous.

Dude
02-15-2010, 10:54 PM
I have only played it twice, and neither of those were very recent. The main reason I haven't been back is because of the teeboxes. The first time I was out there I tripped over a stump in the teebox right at the hit and slightly injured myself. It wasn't a pulled muscle or anything, but definitely a strain that lasted for nearly two weeks. I've probably tripped over 6 or 7 stumps at some point in my run-up in just the two times I've played it.

I've heard they're eventually going to put concrete tees in and I might just wait till then to play it again. Plus, I've heard they have a couple pins pulled with possible plans to pull a couple more for construction. I love the course, but the stumps in the teeboxes make it a lot less fun to play, not to mention dangerous.

Yeah, I agree. I've still only played the once and was trying to wait it out. Apparently they didn't put in concrete pads yet because they wanted to make sure the lines were right for the fairways. Or at least that's what I've heard. In any case, I think I'm in the same boat as you. Too many other courses around here to play without having to worry about teeboxes. Even Cat Hollow's boxes are better. Well, some of them anyway. But at least you can see where they're bad.

FRIZZLE TOSSLER
02-16-2010, 02:34 AM
I'd go for Cat Hollow. It's up north near Georgetown and is a quick, fun course especially in the morning hours.

There's a Rudy's BBQ on Loop 360 on the way to Austin Ridge that is way better than typical fast food and still just as fast.

What he said. If you've never been to Rudy's before they will let u sample anything they have for free before you buy anything. Also, you could try Brushy Creek Sports Park (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3198&mode=ci) (9 holes) just down the road from Cat Hollow... especially if it has been raining a bunch. It's the best 9 holer I've played in TX (by far most challenging) & the best course in town to play if it has been raining a lot. It's not a super quick 9 though... prolly just a little quicker than Cat Hollow b/c of the difficulty & 3 par 4's & 1 par 5. If it has been raining a lot Cat Hollow will be a swamp...

OK, just realized you said "easy" course... the 9 holer is anything but easy. :)

FRIZZLE TOSSLER
02-16-2010, 02:42 AM
I will definitely need a guide and someone to disc with. Are there many monthlies/weeklies/tournaments in the area? SoCal has a lot of players but not many tourneys. Just renewed my membership and I'd like to use it!

There are tons of mini's & tournies in the area. Check out this (http://www.discnation.com/Local-and-National-Tournaments-sp-34.html) link on Disc Nation's website. It's a pretty good listing & I'm not so sure how up to date all the mini listings are, but it's a good start.

Please shoot me a pm if you'd like a guide anywhere. I don't play in tournies mainly b/c of time constraints & I have a hard time justifying the $ it costs to play in anything but mini's nowadays. It is however a good way to meet some great folks & the best golfers in town. :)