PDA

View Full Version : [Discraft] Wasp VS Drone

mambrose
04-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Which do you perfer and why?

toothyfish
04-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Wasp. It's like a flat top Roc, so it flies flat and straight with a predictable fade at the end. It also does well in moderate headwind. While I do (or did) like the Drone, it is less verstatile IMO, as it's a true overstable.

TalbotTrojan
04-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Most of what I could do with a Wasp could be done with a Buzzz. The Drone is different enough and more overstable that it will play better in windier conditions making it the better choice.

jdggna
04-14-2010, 03:46 PM
They're really two different discs. Wasp is straight with fade, and the Drone is all fade.

garublador
04-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Wasp. Anything that can be covered with the Drone can be covered as well or better with either the Wasp or an overstable driver.

AdamCaudle
04-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Throw the wasp on a hyzer, it's a drone.

WillACarpenter
04-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Wasp. It's like a flat top Roc, so it flies flat and straight with a predictable fade at the end. It also does well in moderate headwind. While I do (or did) like the Drone, it is less verstatile IMO, as it's a true overstable.

This.

They're really two different discs. Wasp is straight with fade, and the Drone is all fade.

This.

Throw the wasp on a hyzer, it's a drone.

This.
Wasp. Anything that can be covered with the Drone can be covered as well or better with either the Wasp or an overstable driver.

....and This.

\/\/

PS: If you like to carry a lot of discs I'd carry both. since I don't...I just carry the Wasp.

DiscJunkie
04-14-2010, 04:52 PM

What he said.
I can't control a Drone, unless I'm throwing a meathook.
A wasp is an overstable Roc. Much like a San Marino.
Don't mean to threadjack, just clarifying.

mobster
04-14-2010, 05:04 PM
I can control a Wasp and make it fly dead straight. I have the Drone in my bag for the overstable mid shots.

KMaC
04-14-2010, 05:26 PM
I throw a Buzzz for most midrange shots, and when I carried a Wasp as well, I felt like there was a bit too much overlap.

I love the drone for when I need a shorter, stupid overstable disc. Most other lines I can hit with my Buzzz.

WillACarpenter
04-14-2010, 05:30 PM
I throw my wasp a lot...why? Because it's great for really dependable flay hyzer lines around150-250'

I could throw a BuzZz with more hyzer angle, but I prefer to play a BuzZz as a touch disc.

\/\/

cornelius
04-14-2010, 05:55 PM
gator

mambrose
04-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Ive moved down to work on my form, and im getn my wasp out to around 315 consistantly, so im happy, seen how its only been through 4 rounds so far :D. i ordered 2 more wasps, and i dont even throw my buzzz's anymore

toothyfish
04-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Ive moved down to work on my form, and im getn my wasp out to around 315 consistantly, so im happy, seen how its only been through 4 rounds so far :D. i ordered 2 more wasps, and i dont even throw my buzzz's anymore

What do you use for lines? Meteor?

mambrose
04-14-2010, 09:14 PM
What do you use for lines? Meteor?

X-Buzzz! :D

AdamCaudle
04-14-2010, 09:36 PM
X-Buzzz! :D

X-buzzzes are fun. Lost mine in a lake. I prefer the comet though.

RHINESEL
04-14-2010, 11:25 PM
I throw a Buzzz for most midrange shots, and when I carried a Wasp as well, I felt like there was a bit too much overlap.

I love the drone for when I need a shorter, stupid overstable disc. Most other lines I can hit with my Buzzz.

Me, but I hated the feel of a Wasp. The bead dug into my finger.

ajkuck
02-11-2013, 10:39 PM
I have a Buzzz, Buzzz SS, and Wasp in my bag, all Z plastic. I've thrown a Drone plenty of times, but I thought it was too overstable and does not nearly have the glide as the Wasp. If you feel like you need a Drone, just throw the Wasp at a nice hyzer angle

Johnny_Crunch
02-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Sound advice

GripEnemy
02-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Apples and oranges:doh:

Ryan P.
02-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Thankfully I don't actually have to decide on one or the other to fit in my bag. I've got both.

And while I'm at it, First Run Wasps beat all others. All your base are belong to us.

jimbosprint
02-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Gremlin or Gator? Both.

RustyStrings615
02-11-2013, 11:34 PM
Both for me.

the wasp is like an overstable roc...only it flies truer for me somehow ...with nice glide but not too much.

I reach for the drone much more often though. It is basically my pitching wedge. Within 225ft it is easily my most dependable and accurate disc in my bag. Unmatched in the wind. I use it all day for easy chip hyzers, skip shots, hard left turns, s shots, side arms...

crusadersounds
02-12-2013, 01:26 AM
Z Drone. It is different enough from my Buzzz that I feel like it's a different disc. It is stoopid overstable whereas I felt that a Wasp was only moderately overstable (imho)

Bonks
02-12-2013, 01:40 AM
I carry both but my z wasp has seen little to no action since I picked up my flx drone. I still throw my buzzz's often but my drone is now my most used mid.

cjskier
02-12-2013, 02:35 AM
Worst poll ever. Like someone else said apples to oranges. Might as well compare the wasp to a grove.

Smigles
02-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Two different discs.

I carry both. The wasp is for many hyzer shots. The drone is a speciality disc.

wake911
02-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Wow, is the Drone really that overstable? For me it flies dead-straight for 90% of its flight, and then dies consistently left (if flown flat), i guess it does hyzer pretty strong if i start it on a hyzer. I love my drone, starting to become my favorite disc, especially for windy days. It flies the exact same path no matter what direction the wind is blowing from Head,Tail, L to R, R to L. It flies identical. For me, it is truly a wind ignoring disc.

5QU166Y
02-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Haha I wondered why all these old threads were coming back to the front page. I then realized it was all the work of a rogue necro-bumper.

rd.bittle
02-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Gremlin FTW.

Jensonian
02-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Hornet. I wanted to cut down on the number of discs in my bag and for the OS mid slot I could not decide on my Wasp (not much more OS than Buzz) or my Drone (almost too OS sometimes, especially when you have a Zone already). So I decided to get a Hornet. OS enough to do quick hyzers and fight headwind. But still enough glide to get some distance. I have noticed it wobbles more when I throw it hard, but maybe thats just me. It usually ends up where I want it though.
But if I absolutely had to choose between the two. I would go Drone.

Ryan P.
02-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Wow, is the Drone really that overstable? For me it flies dead-straight for 90% of its flight, and then dies consistently left (if flown flat), i guess it does hyzer pretty strong if i start it on a hyzer. I love my drone, starting to become my favorite disc, especially for windy days. It flies the exact same path no matter what direction the wind is blowing from Head,Tail, L to R, R to L. It flies identical. For me, it is truly a wind ignoring disc.

Wind ignoring disc=overstable.

tbird888
02-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Two different discs.

I carry both. The wasp is for many hyzer shots. The drone is a speciality disc.

I disagree. When I threw them, my FLX Drone was breaking in to fly just like my Wasp. It was a little shorter, but I could very easily see how someone could carry a Drone or two and cover everything but understable duties. With a severely beaten Pro-D, it could probably cover that role too.

tampabay
02-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Saying "wasp with hyzer is a drone" is a very poor argument. Because you can put hyzer on a drone. Then what? Are you just going to throw grenades with your wasp? I'm in Florida and some of these courses get mad windy and have tons of open water and its not worth risking something that might go straight for too long.

I'm not saying you can't hyzer a wasp, it's just not the same.

LoPan12
02-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Aside from the other Drone arguments, I'll add mine:
I also use the Drone as my forehand mid, for shorter, hard-right dog legs.

DiscOh
02-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Can somebody help me out with this, what is the main deference between the Zone and the Drone?
Why would I need both in the bag or do I even need both? Which do you prefer?
Sorry to thread jack but I'm not a big fan of the wasp.

Jensonian
02-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Can somebody help me out with this, what is the main deference between the Zone and the Drone?

I thought this too. I wanted to reduce the molds in my bag so I went out and field tested FLX Drone and ESP Zone to really see the difference. Its pretty much just distance. I could get the Drone out about 50 ft. further than the Zone. If I really cranked on the Zone I could get it close to the same distance but really sacrificed accuracy. So I use the Drone as my OS mid range and the Zone as more of just an OS approach & chip shot/headwind putter. If I did not use the Zone for headwind putts I could get by fine with just the Drone or a Hornet though. But not vice versa.

rexdp10
02-14-2013, 08:52 AM
when i was throwing beadless mids, i used the drone as replacement for the gator...now that i'm back on the roc kick, the gator is back in the bag...side note: toyed with zone, never really liked it.

Really its wasp = roc and drone = gator

A rod
02-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Drone: approach shots out to 250, in either a serious headwind, or hard left dog legs, short fh approaches with a hard right, and big skips.

Zone: headwind putts, short hyzer approaches, long flex out putts, shorter forehand approaches

Almost the same disc but one is longer, and one has very little skip. Between not having them, and using them, they'll always have a bag spot, even just situational shots

Krohn29
02-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Drone i carry 3 in the bag at all time. 1 for forhand flicks beat in great and 1 for back hand huge hyzer and 1 for driving with.

Comparing a Wasp TO a Drone is like comparing a Flick to a Surge its just crazy and makes no sense.

DiscOh
02-16-2013, 12:19 AM
Drone: approach shots out to 250, in either a serious headwind, or hard left dog legs, short fh approaches with a hard right, and big skips.

Zone: headwind putts, short hyzer approaches, long flex out putts, shorter forehand approaches

Almost the same disc but one is longer, and one has very little skip. Between not having them, and using them, they'll always have a bag spot, even just situational shots

No skip with the Zone?

BogeyNoMore
02-16-2013, 12:31 AM
Most of what I could do with a Wasp could be done with a Buzzz. The Drone is different enough and more overstable that it will play better in windier conditions making it the better choice.

^this. Tried a wasp - didn't care for it. It really didn't do anything my Buzzz couldn't. But the Drone's overstability makes it a different beast. I can see someone looking at a shot, asking themselves, "Wasp or Buzzz?"
I can't see someone asking themselves "Drone or Buzzz?" since they are so different.

As for what fits between a Buzzz and a Drone, I won't argue with a Wasp, but I prefer the Nebula. :D

NavinJohnson
02-20-2013, 11:38 AM
i too feel the wasp covers too much ground in my bag i already throw a buzzz for.

my midrange discs right now are...

D buzzz- slight wear eventual turnover and not coming back disc

Z buzzz- new straight low ceiling 265' rope throws

d drone- moderate wear can throw with any power and will fade out finish.

when the d buzzz is completely worn, i will throw in an esp for a turnover with fade finish.

my midrange weapons of choice.

simpletwist
02-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Hornet

g2avity
02-20-2013, 12:07 PM
I prefer the Wasp for bigger fade than the Buzzz as well as windy days. It handles just like a Buzzz does into a 10-15 mph headwind. It came in handy at a round I played on Sunday at Crown College, St. Boni MN ... which is always windy but even more so that day. Kept the Buzzz in my bag and pulled out the Wasp for my long approaches.

Psicko
02-20-2013, 01:31 PM
For me, my TI wasp is OS as I need. I hated it when I first started throwing it, as soon as it left my hand it would start fading. After a couple of weeks, I got used to it and I really like it. It is great for when a late dependable fade is needed, and fights the wind well.

I have never tried the Drone, but I think it would be too OS for me.

GripEnemy
02-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Haha I wondered why all these old threads were coming back to the front page. I then realized it was all the work of a rogue necro-bumper.

Lulz

I disagree. When I threw them, my FLX Drone was breaking in to fly just like my Wasp. It was a little shorter, but I could very easily see how someone could carry a Drone or two and cover everything but understable duties. With a severely beaten Pro-D, it could probably cover that role too.

:) Mine aren't wrecked, but if need be I could certainly play a one disc round with one of my beat D Drones. The cool thing about them is the edge of the disc is quite high up, so a few good tree whacks and they can quickly lose stability. Tune it back [outside egdes ^up^] and with ease regain that stability right back - my version of the Epic lol.

. . . Almost the same disc but one is longer, and one has very little skip. . . .

No skip with the Zone?

Both skip plenty.

Redundant to have both, though some choose to do so.

Zone is slower, slightly less stable, and less beefy in the hand. Both fight wind great, and both are beadless, it's just a matter of whether you want/need an overstable mid/short fairway or putter/short mid - it more matters what else in your bag you use and love.

Ted Bratton
02-20-2013, 01:59 PM
The Zone is what I throw atm. Less stable than the Drone but still very very stable. A premium plastic Drone is a little overkill IMO since the Zone is available. A used Z Wasp is more of a stable, straight flying mid with a predictable fade than a shorter Firebird like the other two.