PDA

View Full Version : PDGA Round Ratings and such

juanbond
04-27-2010, 03:09 PM
So, I played my first ever PDGA event last weekend, and my unofficial round rating was posted as 1016. Will my rating be calculated as 1016 then when the May 4th update rolls around?

Discette
04-27-2010, 03:21 PM
No, it will be averaged with the ratings from Round 1 of that event and any other events that you have played. Those are currently unofficial results, so the rating could change once they become official. Also, if the TD does not turn in the report immediately, you won't see a rating until the next update in June.

All info on ratings can be found here: http://www.pdga.com/faq

juanbond
04-27-2010, 03:32 PM
OK... Yeah, this was my first event, and it was two rounds. However, I only see unofficial round ratings next to the second round, nothing for the first round. This was also the first PDGA event ever at this course, so I'm guessing the lack of round ratings for the first round was because there were only like 3-4 possible propagators (over 799)? If this is truly the case, will the first round actually get rated or not?

billnchristy
04-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Yeah they will come up with a number.

You won't see it until June though like she said. The cutoff was Apr. 20 for the May update.

What division did you play?

juanbond
04-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah they will come up with a number.

You won't see it until June though like she said. The cutoff was Apr. 20 for the May update.

What division did you play?

Sounds good, then I can get some more rounds in before getting an official rating. I was worried I'd be unable to play MA2 in some upcoming events! In this past tournament, I played MA3.

billnchristy
04-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Im sure your competitors will love that.

juanbond
04-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Im sure your competitors will love that.

Love what?

Vegan Ray
04-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Nice round. What event was it?

billnchristy
04-27-2010, 04:18 PM
You playing INT with that kind of ranking but you probably will average right into high INT or low ADV numbers with the first round though...so probably not too bad.

Dave242
04-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Wow - awesome shooting for your first PDGA event!! Most people would kill for a >1000 rated round......it took me years to get one an I think I only ever got one.

Did Women, Intermediates, Rec & Junior divisions play a different layout (different tees or holes or anything) from the Open, Masters, Advanced and Adv Masters divisions?

juanbond
04-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Nice round. What event was it?

Thanks! Yeah it was a comeback to win the 1st Annual Friendly City Open in Lebanon, IN, C Tier. I was down 4 strokes after the first round, and down about 6 after the first 6-7 holes of the second, and then went on a birdie fest, birdieing 8 of the last 11 to take the title. What a fun day!

I can't say enough how much fun this tourney was, and would have been even if I had finished last. The TD's were friendly, helpful, and everything just ran so smoothly!

juanbond
04-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Wow - awesome shooting for your first PDGA event!! Most people would kill for a >1000 rated round......it took me years to get one an I think I only ever got one.

Did Women, Intermediates, Rec & Junior divisions play a different layout (different tees or holes or anything) from the Open, Masters, Advanced and Adv Masters divisions?

Yeah, the open and advanced played long tees, and the intermediate, rec, juniors played short tees. I'm not sure what the masters and other divs played.

Vegan Ray
04-27-2010, 04:27 PM
I found it. 1st Annual Friendly City Open (http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=9852&year=2010&include_ratings=1#Recreational)

2nd round ratings seem hinky. Int/Rec must've played a different course than pros, as Int had a 1000+ rated round, as well. My guess: TD miscoded report & final ratings for Int/Rec will be quite a bit lower (or possibly nonexistent due to lack of props).

Sorry to burst your bubble (and I could be wrong), but the numbers make little sense as-is.

EDIT: TOO SLOW.

t i m
04-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Here's the event -- Friendly City Open in Indiana (http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=9852&year=2010&include_ratings=1#Recreational). Looking at the results, I'd guess that the TD entered the scores incorrectly.

No offense intended, Aaron, but I'm guessing that the Intermediate and Recreational players played a different layout, shorter tees or maybe an entirely different course than the Advanced and Pro players... but from the results, it appears the TD entered all the players as having played the same tees... so what that does is give radically inflated round ratings to the people who played the shorter tees.

Congratulations for winning your first tournament. Now step up from Rec to Intermediate and see how it goes next time... I'd guess you're probably shooting somewhere around 900-rated golf based on the tournament scores posted, and you should be very competitive in Intermediate at this point in your game.

The scores will eventually be corrected and your rating fixed when they do the official score update. It may or may not happen in time for the May 4 rating, but should definitely be fixed by the subsequent update sometime in the summer.

Random question: you've got PDGA number 21349... that means you joined in ~2002... have you been a member all these years and just never played an event? Congrats on finally putting that number to good use.

Vegan Ray
04-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Great minds think alike

juanbond
04-27-2010, 04:34 PM
I found it. 1st Annual Friendly City Open (http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=9852&year=2010&include_ratings=1#Recreational)

2nd round ratings seem hinky. Int/Rec must've played a different course than pros, as Int had a 1000+ rated round, as well. My guess: TD miscoded report & final ratings for Int/Rec will be quite a bit lower (or possibly nonexistent due to lack of props).

Sorry to burst your bubble (and I could be wrong), but the numbers make little sense as-is.

EDIT: TOO SLOW.

Yeah, lower ams played short tees, others played long tees. Cool, that's what I was hoping, as I certainly DON'T want to be rated that high; I'm definitely around Int level in skill. No bubble to burst! Thanks for the input.

sidewinding
04-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Whats up with the low pdga number?

juanbond
04-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Here's the event -- Friendly City Open in Indiana (http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=9852&year=2010&include_ratings=1#Recreational). Looking at the results, I'd guess that the TD entered the scores incorrectly.

No offense intended, Aaron, but I'm guessing that the Intermediate and Recreational players played a different layout, shorter tees or maybe an entirely different course than the Advanced and Pro players... but from the results, it appears the TD entered all the players as having played the same tees... so what that does is give radically inflated round ratings to the people who played the shorter tees.

Congratulations for winning your first tournament. Now step up from Rec to Intermediate and see how it goes next time... I'd guess you're probably shooting somewhere around 900-rated golf based on the tournament scores posted, and you should be very competitive in Intermediate at this point in your game.

The scores will eventually be corrected and your rating fixed when they do the official score update. It may or may not happen in time for the May 4 rating, but should definitely be fixed by the subsequent update sometime in the summer.

Random question: you've got PDGA number 21349... that means you joined in ~2002... have you been a member all these years and just never played an event? Congrats on finally putting that number to good use.

Heh, definitely no offense taken... I know my own skill, and 1016 is certainly nowhere near it! I was hoping these unofficial ratings were somehow incorrect or would be adjusted much lower for those who played the short tees. Quite a relief, I don't wanna play Advanced division just yet!

juanbond
04-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Whats up with the low pdga number?

I joined the PDGA many years ago, but never ended up playing any events that year; other life events got in the way. But now I'm renewed and ready for tons of tourneys (I think I'm already addicted after one event!).

juanbond
04-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Another related question: are the PDGA rating cutoffs always exactly 14 days before the ratings update dates?

Cgkdisc
04-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Pretty much 14 days.

juanbond
04-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Pretty much 14 days.

Cool, thanks.