PDA

View Full Version : States, Metros with the best DG Scene?

mrstiggy
05-03-2010, 02:28 AM
As much as I get around I have seen a lot of courses, but I have never seen anything quite like Austin TX. There are 11 4 disc or higher rated courses in the area, and at least 46 courses with in 50 miles of the city center. The Austin DG scene is fantastic. I would recommend it anyone wanting to take a DG Vaca!
What other Metros/States have a huge DG following like this?

Tacitus
05-03-2010, 02:37 AM
Many come close, But... None. Austin is becoming even more special every year.

RHINESEL
05-03-2010, 02:46 AM
Central MA/Northern CT is becoming a hot spot.

I think Jason Southwick of Pyramids/Marshall St. even hinted that he may have another course in (very) early development.

NDABRUSH
05-03-2010, 03:00 AM
I lived in Atlanta for 7 yrs and then it was ok, nothing like texas. I think land is more difficult to obtain in Atlanta. Since I moved they have added White Oak, Alexander and others so it might have picked up.

dreadlock86
05-03-2010, 03:50 AM
by my count:

Austin: 45 courses 2 (4.5) 8 (4) 3 (3.5) 17 (3) 1 (2.5) 6 (2) 5 (<2) 3 (no review)
DFW: 41 courses 2 (4.5) 7 (4) 7 (3.5) 10 (3) 5 (2.5) 7 (2) 3 (1)

pretty close

mrstiggy
05-03-2010, 03:56 AM
by my count:

Austin: 45 courses 2 (4.5) 8 (4) 3 (3.5) 17 (3) 1 (2.5) 6 (2) 5 (<2) 3 (no review)

pretty close

Sorry man, I live in the DFW area, and I will take Austin DG over here anytime. Some of our courses I think are over rated and dont even compare to Austin.

Mattallica
05-03-2010, 05:10 AM
charlotte is nice

Disc Golf Greg
05-03-2010, 05:20 AM
I live in Chicago and a lot of the courses are pretty bad here. Sooo many 9ers, going to an 18 hole plus course is a real nice treat for here. So to answer your question, not here lol. I'd imagine Disc Golf courses in California are a blast because of though an hour from the beach, desert, and mountains = awesome.

dreadlock86
05-03-2010, 05:25 AM
Sorry man, I live in the DFW area, and I will take Austin DG over here anytime. Some of our courses I think are over rated and dont even compare to Austin.

which ones in your opinion?
of the nine 4+ rated courses in DFW, i've only played four (lake park, harry myers, z-boaz and bear creek). i can see z-boaz and bear creek being called overrated.

i've only played a handful of austin courses and of the ten 4+ courses, only pease and slaughter creek. i didn't think those 2 were any significantly better than DFW courses. the topography is a bit more interesting perhaps.

another thing to consider is whether to even count the wimberley courses since they are not open courses. plus some of the course within distance of austin are actually in san antonio. does that count?

and 21 of austin's courses have <18 holes. only 16 in DFW.

DannyM
05-03-2010, 09:08 AM
In the southeast us, it would have to be Charlotte, NC. and also Augusta Ga. No, there are not 45 or so courses, but there are still several top caliber courses all within a 30 min or so drive time.
Augusta:
3 courses at IDGC....Warner, Hedrick,Jackson
Riverview
Patriots Park
Pendleton King
Hippodrome
Lk. Olmstead

jtencer
05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
by my count:

pretty close

In my experience, it takes a lot longer to get places in DFW. Of course, the 45 count for Austin includes some that aren't really in Austin so...

garublador
05-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Kansas City, Des Moines, Minneapolis/St. Paul and St. Louis are all pretty good.

grodney
05-03-2010, 09:57 AM
As of February:

25 mile radius
Quality Course = 5 reviews min, 4.00 min

78738, Austin, 34 courses, 7 quality
28202, Charlotte, 34 courses, 5 quality
76011, Dallas, 35 courses, 4 quality
97045, Portland, 26 courses, 4 quality
45203, Cincinnati, 28 courses, 3 quality
55313, Minneapolis-ish, 28 courses, 3 quality
50323, Des Moines, 22 courses, 3 quality
80433, Denver, 18 courses, 3 quality
18052, Allentown, 18 courses, 3 quality
46341, N Indiana, 9 courses, 3 quality
54846, Highbridge, 9 courses, 3 quality
15086, Pittsburgh-ish, 7 courses, 3 quality
64129, Kansas City, 17 courses, 2 quality
55408, Minneapolis, 40 courses, 1 quality

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12004&page=11

Cgkdisc
05-03-2010, 10:01 AM
If the disc golf scene includes not only courses but playing activity, the Twin Cities is hard to beat. Pop in my zip code (55077) and there are 63 courses inside 50 miles with 2 in the top 20. There are nine metro leagues including the largest in the World with the Sundog having up to 180 players per week. The Minnesota Frisbee Association is the oldest statewide organization still coordinating tournaments around the state all year long, even in our sometimes frozen tundra. We have Top 10 player, Cale Leiviska, top 10 tournament, Minnesota Majestic, and the oldest statewide series, Minnesota Summer Tour.

Labelkills
05-03-2010, 10:09 AM
i cant even try and compare with TX, but Lehigh Valley PA is pretty sweet. there are 37 courses within 50 miles of me. including 1. 4&1/2 disc, 6. 4 discers, a whole lot of three and a half and threes and a couple crap-o ones. ive been here 6 months and everywhere i go i meet more and more DGers. now we have a sweet pro shop. i couldnt ask for anything more. except a longer summer mabye.

mashnut
05-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Bowling Green KY has a great disc golf scene. There are a bunch of courses really close together, including a few that are really nice places to play. Within a reasonable distance, you have one of my absolute favorite courses, Holler in the Hills. The local club seems really active and keeps the courses in great shape and holds lots of events. Cincinnati is another great place to disc golf, with 3 awesome courses (Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge and Mt. Airy) and a bunch of other courses around.

glustic
05-03-2010, 10:13 AM

All I know is that there are like 100 courses within a 3 hour drive from me. I can't imagine a better place to be a golfer. That said the elevation in the Texas hill country makes for more interesting layouts then in the flatland's of DFW.

CwAlbino
05-03-2010, 10:17 AM
As of February:

25 mile radius

Bad zip for the twin cities, if you go south or southeast of Minneapolis at all, you'll hit over 30. (36 from Eden Prairie, 37 from South Saint Paul (5 or 6 quality, I forget how many I counted now)

VictorB
05-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I know this is a disc golf course website, but I find it funny that local scenes are almost always related to large numbers of quality courses.

Small numbers of quality courses and strong club presence should be taken into consideration as well - at least if you're looking at a long term evaluation of metro dg scenes.

Waddly Hobbins
05-03-2010, 10:19 AM
If the disc golf scene includes not only courses but playing activity, the Twin Cities is hard to beat. Pop in my zip code (55077) and there are 63 courses inside 50 miles with 2 in the top 20. There are nine metro leagues including the largest in the World with the Sundog having up to 180 players per week. The Minnesota Frisbee Association is the oldest statewide organization still coordinating tournaments around the state all year long, even in our sometimes frozen tundra. We have Top 10 player, Cale Leiviska, top 10 tournament, Minnesota Majestic, and the oldest statewide series, Minnesota Summer Tour.

Chuck Kennedy for the win!

I just moved to the Twin Cities area last fall and lemme tell you, the worst problem I have is deciding what course I'm going to play that day.

My zip 55318 returns 72 hits within 50 miles and 13 4 disc rating or higher.

grodney
05-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Bad zip for the twin cities, if you go south or southeast of Minneapolis at all, you'll hit over 30. (36 from Eden Prairie, 37 from South Saint Paul (5 or 6 quality, I forget how many I counted now)

As I recall, doing so loses some of the quality courses. But you're welcome to do it yourself and update the list.

giles
05-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Between Austin area and DFW.
The things that come to mind for me are, is the course playable. Rumor is the major Austin area courses are crazy busy and it is very hard to get a round in for all the large groups. DFW only has this problem at the Vet & Z-Boaz (from what I've seen). Another consideration is quality TD's running quality events. Local minis? How many people show up and who? Who are the local pros? How good are they? Are they good people, willing to play with whoever? Are all the Austin pros like "The Cactus"? (know him and like him, but a valid question)

Waddly Hobbins
05-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Also, Twin Cities area is getting Castle Rock (http://www.castlerockdiscgolf.com/). 4 courses, 72 holes, across 300 acres all designed by Timmy Gill (designer of Blue Ribbon Pines and Bryant Lake.)

tstack10
05-03-2010, 10:58 AM
I think the whole disc golf vibe in austin is a lot better. I've only played a few in dfw and they were alright but atx just has so many courses that are great it is tough to compare. Also Austins population is much smaller than dfw so course per capita is a good indicator of best scene.

I wonder what the actual number of disc golfers is per state, city, etc.

Like to hear other suggestions for a possibe trip.

biscoe
05-03-2010, 11:03 AM
spotsylvania va- 6 courses- 4 4 stars or better...

CwAlbino
05-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Also, Twin Cities area is getting Castle Rock (http://www.castlerockdiscgolf.com/). 4 courses, 72 holes, across 300 acres all designed by Timmy Gill (designer of Blue Ribbon Pines and Bryant Lake.)

I'm so excited to go up and stay a week or whatever it takes to play that.

mickas
05-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Minneapolis/st. paul
Highbridge
Madison isn't bad since the club is exetremely active and all the courses are of a fairly high quality

These are the only major areas i've played with the exception of Chicago (not impressed) although Rockford isn't bad.

FRIZZLE TOSSLER
05-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Between Austin area and DFW.
The things that come to mind for me are, is the course playable. Rumor is the major Austin area courses are crazy busy and it is very hard to get a round in for all the large groups. DFW only has this problem at the Vet & Z-Boaz (from what I've seen). Another consideration is quality TD's running quality events. Local minis? How many people show up and who? Who are the local pros? How good are they? Are they good people, willing to play with whoever? Are all the Austin pros like "The Cactus"? (know him and like him, but a valid question)

I lived & golfed in DFW for 4+ years (just 2 minutes from ZBoaz) & I must say I much prefer the scene here in Austin. The courses are cleaner, more challenging & scenic, friendlier & more courteous golfers, & obviously have a lot more elevation to work with. The courses here feel a lot more like a great nature hike intermixed with some golf whereas the DFW courses feel very urban (with the exception of The Cedar Hill courses). I have also noticed it's a heck of a lot easier to get around to different courses in the Austin area (given you avoid I-35). It's almost impossible to avoid the interstates in DFW if you wanna travel to different courses.

The only two Austin courses that are crazy busy are: Pease & Searight. Ever since Searight opened back up after the revamp, it took a lot of the crowds away from Circle C. East Metro (Manor) rarely ever has more than 6-8 groups out there @ a time & it's one of the top three courses (if not the best) in the area.

I'm really not in the know about the mini & pros around here. I played the ZBoaz mini's religiously when I lived in FW, but mainly b/c there wasn't much else to do in DFW other than golf.... Austin, on the other hand.... :D

Camgolfer
05-03-2010, 11:51 AM
I know this is a disc golf course website, but I find it funny that local scenes are almost always related to large numbers of quality courses.

Small numbers of quality courses and strong club presence should be taken into consideration as well - at least if you're looking at a long term evaluation of metro dg scenes.

Agreed. Denver may not have as many courses within a 50 mile radius, but what we do have is an awesome club that does everything it can to provide a strong presence in the community. The Mile High Disc Golf Club has placed 1st the past two years in raising $ for the Ice Bowl events. On top of that we have daily tag matches that bring out 10-40 people each night depending on the local. And every tournament held by the club is usually sold out quickly. Our Spring Fling sold out in 1.23 hours!! The club is normally 400+ members strong and growing every year. Even though we don't have as many courses as some cities we make up for that with an organized and effective club.

NDABRUSH
05-03-2010, 12:17 PM

63 courses within 50 miles with 2 in the top 20, I hate you.:mad:;) If any of you feel bad about your location or think you have to drive far to play different courses my zip is 71235. Dallas area 259-300 miles, Memphis- 305 miles and Jackson is only about 160-185. Jackson sucked bad but just added 2 new courses this last year and is improving. I would put in Arkansas, but they have 24 courses and Louisiana has 23. Arkansas courses are mostly spread out except 1 area that has a bunch of crap. The only good thing about Louisiana is that almost half of the courses are very close to I-20 so if you are traveling to Dallas or Atlanta then you can take your pick of about 9 courses. At least if you are in Arkansas, you are closer to most places that I want to visit. This yr I will hit all of Memphis, which isn't many but there are several Miss wooded state park courses to bag that are within 50 miles or so of Memphis. I want to go to Kentucky, Colorado, Missouri(Quail ridge, Akitas run, Water works and a few more.) While at Quail Ridge I will bop on over to Alton Illinois to play Rock Spring park. So many courses and miles.:( I for got Oklahoma. Black Hawk, the 2 in Pawhuska and a few more while in Tulsa.

Cgkdisc
05-03-2010, 12:28 PM
63 courses within 50 miles with 2 in the top 20, I hate you.
It helps that I was responsible for getting almost 1 out of 3 (nineteen) of those courses in the gound. So get to work! ;)

chingy414
05-03-2010, 12:31 PM
I live in the DFW, but have played most of the quality Austin courses. I have to say it's pretty close. I can't say that the golfers were any friendlier in the ATX, as I have had only good experiences here. If I had to choose I would choose DFW just because I've played here a long time and really like the courses here. Austin is beautiful though, and has some really quality courses. We also do not have a course like Wimberley close to here, so it's a toss up I guess

sloppydisc
05-03-2010, 12:32 PM
But it is cold up there in MN. I'd have to stick with Charlotte due to its proximity to ME, and Austin if i had to take a trip. Good food, good bars, good music, lots of good looking women, and oh they have a bunch of good courses. And there is not 3 feet of snow on the ground all winter.

NDABRUSH
05-03-2010, 12:42 PM
It helps that I was responsible for getting almost 1 out of 3 (nineteen) of those courses in the gound. So get to work! ;)

You kind of built your own play ground, except it wasn't just for you. Thanks.:thmbup:

Fender088
05-03-2010, 12:55 PM
I've always heard that Austin is the dream city of the serious disc golf enthusiast. I think in the next ten years there will be 3 or 4 cities that can easily compete. Someone earlier mentioned the cheap cost of land in Texas, and I think that's a really good point.

tallpaul
05-03-2010, 01:14 PM
But it is cold up there in MN. I'd have to stick with Charlotte due to its proximity to ME, and Austin if i had to take a trip. Good food, good bars, good music, lots of good looking women, and oh they have a bunch of good courses. And there is not 3 feet of snow on the ground all winter.
Sloppy, we head south for the winter to play wonderful warm state courses. You should come north during the summer; when you're area is blistering in the heat....we'll be in the 60s or 70s.

discNDav
05-03-2010, 01:23 PM
old thread discussing the same thing:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3154

DavidSauls
05-03-2010, 01:57 PM
old thread discussing the same thing:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3154

or about 40 other threads.....

This comes up on a monthly basis, always lacking specific criteria. Best DG scene if you live there? Vacation? Best for top players? Casual players? Dependent on time of year (weather)? Quality courses vs. Quantity of courses?

Sigh.

tallpaul
05-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Having played a number of the "best" areas; I vote Charlotte area #1 for quality, Austin or DFW not too far behind; and, Minnesota catching up fast. Timmy Gill a good designer (you younger guys will really like his designs; but he's a little too big arm for us old guys). Chuck's not too bad himself...:) This would make sense, as Houck/Kennedy, Gill/and McDaniel (probably my favorite), are some of the best designers around. (Don't mean to not include other great designers I'm unfamiliar with).

Posey Ching
05-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Minnesota and other Midwestern cities are great if you don't mind taking several months off during the year. The true disc golf enthusiast is going to live somewhere where they can play all year round. California??

This website doesn't do justice for the west coast courses at all. When you look at the top 10 on the front page and don't see one California course, you know something is way off. But I won't even go into that because I like it that way. Stay away!!! They all suck!!! haha

Posey Ching
05-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Minnesota and other Midwestern cities

grammar check...Minnesota and other Midwestern states

scarpfish
05-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Minnesota and other Midwestern cities are great if you don't mind taking several months off during the year.
Misconception.

The true disc golf enthusiast is going to live somewhere where they can play all year round. California??
Not enough courses available per its population of players.

http://stevewestdiscgolf.com/images/keyshow.gif

This website doesn't do justice for the west coast courses at all. When you look at the top 10 on the front page and don't see one California course, you know something is way off.
Yet there are two Oregon ones. Yeah, something is way off.

Cgkdisc
05-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Minnesota and other Midwestern states are great if you don't mind taking several months off during the year. The true disc golf enthusiast is going to live somewhere where they can play all year round.
You might want to rethink that idea. I've attached a shrunken version of the Minnesota Frisbee Association schedule of weekend events for 2010 with listings from January thru December. Among those listings are 35 PDGA events alone. There are leagues running year-round including the most extreme league anywhere that plays glow golf every Tuesday night from Thanksgiving thru March 1 no matter what the weather.

Posey Ching
05-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Misconception.

Not enough courses available per its population of players.

http://stevewestdiscgolf.com/images/keyshow.gif

Yet there are two Oregon ones. Yeah, something is way off.

Misconception that it gets cold as motha fuka in the midwest?? funny. I guess if you don't mind playing in the snow or below zero temps, you can play all year lol.

And i didn't know we are talking about the number of courses available per population of players. Either way, not you or anybody else knows the exact number of how many players there are in any area.

And for your 3rd assinine comment, I was mostly talking about California. Ever seen a map and how big California is?? lol

Plain and simple, this website is great, but, a big but, you can't put 100% reliability into a rating system such as the one that this website features. yes, it works well enough to get a general idea and it's awesome to see pics of all the courses, but to say that the rating system isn't flawed is just ridiculous.

the DGCR Cult in the Kentucky region is no secret in this forum lol :\

Posey Ching
05-04-2010, 12:28 AM
You might want to rethink that idea. I've attached a shrunken version of the Minnesota Frisbee Association schedule of weekend events for 2010 with listings from January thru December. Among those listings are 35 PDGA events alone. There are leagues running year-round including the most extreme league anywhere that plays glow golf every Tuesday night from Thanksgiving thru March 1 no matter what the weather.

well i guess i could play disc golf on the north pole year round too if I really wanted to. you're just misunderstanding my point. it doesn't get super cold in the Twin Cities in the winter??? you never see any of that white stuff??? lol

Posey Ching
05-04-2010, 12:32 AM
however, let me be more clear for the Midwesterners. I love the midwest. And I agree that it would be a great spot to live for DG.

i was just trying to point out that the weather can be beastly there. And not just the winter. how about those super humid and hot as hell summers?

jdggna
05-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Central Iowa. From Indianola (just south of Des Moines) up through Ames and Boone. We have great courses and great people. Plus, its easy to take a weekend trip up to the Twin Cities or Kansas City from here.

Posey Ching
05-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Central Iowa. From Indianola (just south of Des Moines) up through Ames and Boone. We have great courses and great people. Plus, its easy to take a weekend trip up to the Twin Cities or Kansas City from here.

Agreed. I'm from Cedar Rapids, IA. Love it there. But not a big fan of the weather...

Cgkdisc
05-04-2010, 01:00 AM
well i guess i could play disc golf on the north pole year round too if I really wanted to. you're just misunderstanding my point. it doesn't get super cold in the Twin Cities in the winter??? you never see any of that white stuff??? lol
You're defining disc golf as a summer sport. Just like we don't use Frisbees anymore the way disc golf started in California summers, we now play the sport year-round with golf discs in the snow, sometimes in the dark with LED glow sticks. I think we've got a better chance to get disc golf in the Olympics if we try to get in the Winter Olympics instead of summer.

Think how cool that would look on TV at the Olympics with LED lit discs flinging thru the sky at glow rope decorated baskets. If the Olympics is in the wrong part of the world for US prime time like it will be in Russia next time, no problem showing disc golf live at the appropriate time in the dark that matches prime time in North America. Who would need collared shirts? Psychedelic glow-in-the-dark duds would look great in infrared HD video camera feeds. Give Bob Costas a black light tie and glow hair gel.

But I digress...:)

Swisher Streets
05-04-2010, 01:16 AM
Central Iowa. From Indianola (just south of Des Moines) up through Ames and Boone. We have great courses and great people. Plus, its easy to take a weekend trip up to the Twin Cities or Kansas City from here.Real Talk.

Posey Ching
05-04-2010, 01:31 AM
You're defining disc golf as a summer sport. Just like we don't use Frisbees anymore the way disc golf started in California summers, we now play the sport year-round with golf discs in the snow, sometimes in the dark with LED glow sticks. I think we've got a better chance to get disc golf in the Olympics if we try to get in the Winter Olympics instead of summer.

Think how cool that would look on TV at the Olympics with LED lit discs flinging thru the sky at glow rope decorated baskets. If the Olympics is in the wrong part of the world for US prime time like it will be in Russia next time, no problem showing disc golf live at the appropriate time in the dark that matches prime time in North America. Who would need collared shirts? Psychedelic glow-in-the-dark duds would look great in infrared HD video camera feeds. Give Bob Costas a black light tie and glow hair gel.

But I digress...:)

Misunderstanding again. Did I ever define it as a summer sport? I just made the obvious point that the winter can really suck in the midwest. I never said that you can't play in the fall, spring or summer. I have several die hard DG friends in Iowa and most of them put away their discs in the winter. The only time the discs come out in the winter is if they travel somewhere where the weather is bearable (i.e. California - back to my original point).

Maybe it's just me, but I would rather live in an area that has good playable weather all year round than have 100 courses in the surrounding area. As long as i have 4-5 solid courses in the area, with beautiful weather, I'd be a happy camper.

There are plenty of similarities between disc golf and ball golf. Do you ever see a PGA tour event that takes place in the snow or freezing temps? Are your ball golf courses open year round in the midwest?

Now you're just being silly. if disc golf ever did make the Olympics, do you really think it would be in the Winter Olympics instead of the Summer Olympics????

"I think we've got a better chance to get disc golf in the Olympics if we try to get in the Winter Olympics instead of summer." Please explain the logic with this statement. Because it's way beyond my comprehension. With that thinking, why don't they just have all of the major PDGA events in the winter?? lol

tallpaul
05-04-2010, 01:38 AM
Olympics a completely different animal. That was a brilliant :) post.

Posey Ching
05-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Olympics a completely different animal. That was a brilliant :) post.

Brilliant? More like delusional lol

DG in the Winter Olympics. yeah, brilliant idea :\

Because all of us disc golfers love to play in the snow in our big winter coats and snow suits. Hey maybe we can even combine DG with cross country skiing. There you go...

Cgkdisc
05-04-2010, 10:04 AM
What you're overlooking is that people actually do play all year-round in the Midwest. The scene is better than most warmer climate areas in terms of both courses and popularity as a percentage of the population base. Courses are still busy in the winter with competitive players (but not the HS crowd yet). In fact, some may be busier in winter than courses in Texas during the brutally hot summers.

So the winter success itself indicates the potential for a marketing coup to get in the Winter Olympics. The countries where disc golf is played internationally are mostly Winter Olympics powers from Scandinavia, to the rest of northern Europe, Canada and Japan. The Summer Olympics require 50 countries to be involved before being considered and we're at around 25 currently with PDGA connections. Not sure what the number might be for Winter Olympics but it's quite a bit less considering that Winter Olympics has less than half as many countries participating as in Summer.

roc-chucker
05-04-2010, 10:26 AM
can Michigan get a shout out I live in AZ now but come guys The mittens got some sick course 45
within 50 miles of my old place atleast a hundred more in the state.

gigemjonny
05-04-2010, 11:02 AM
I've always heard that Austin is the dream city of the serious disc golf enthusiast. I think in the next ten years there will be 3 or 4 cities that can easily compete. Someone earlier mentioned the cheap cost of land in Texas, and I think that's a really good point.

Land in Texas, especially around the austin area is not cheap...at all.

bikinjack
05-04-2010, 12:09 PM
I don't know about other areas, but we've got it pretty good around here. I've got well over 40 courses within 50 miles, with a few more going in the ground as we speak. And that's just the ones listed on here.

coast2coast
05-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Maine seems to have a ton of quality courses. A lot of them are probably closed half the year, but I used to play a lot of DG in snowshoes and it is just as much fun as playing in summer. It is a better workout, the course is completely empty, and learning to make a good standing throw will help your game immensely. The L.A. area has a bunch of quality courses too, and if its good weather you're after it doesn't get much more pleasant than southern California.

scarpfish
05-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Land in Texas, especially around the austin area is not cheap...at all.
I think he meant in relation to land in California.

http://realestate.oodle.com/austin-tx/land-for-sale/
http://realestate.oodle.com/dallas-tx/land-for-sale/

http://realestate.oodle.com/los-angeles-ca/land-for-sale/
http://realestate.oodle.com/san-francisco-ca/land-for-sale/

grodney
05-04-2010, 01:34 PM
This comes up on a monthly basis, always lacking specific criteria.

Sigh.

David. Friend. I'm there for you. That's what I've been trying to do.

Define a radius. I've proposed 25 miles. 50 also seems popular.

Define a "quality" course. I've proposed 4.00 minimum with 5 reviews minimum.

Define a mecca. Such as: 25 mile radius, 25 total courses, 5 quality courses.

Use the fabulous query tool to try different zip codes.

Yes, the other discussions require subjectivity: Leagues, people, events, vibe, etc.

DavidSauls
05-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Not sure how much the quantity really matters, anyway. How many people regularly play more than a half-dozen courses? You could put 50 near me but I know I'd mostly play my favorites. And as a vacationer, I'm sure 40 courses within 50 miles has no appeal.

grodney
05-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Not sure how much the quantity really matters, anyway. How many people regularly play more than a half-dozen courses? You could put 50 near me but I know I'd mostly play my favorites. And as a vacationer, I'm sure 40 courses within 50 miles has no appeal.

No argument, really. But that's more from a single-person POV. On the macro, looking at a whole are for disc golf, the quantity would be a measure of how available golf is to the people across the whole area.

That is, sure, maybe in Austin the vast majority of players never play more than (say) 5 different courses, but there are 35 courses within 25 miles of a particular spot, thus making disc golf highly available across the area being measured.

coast2coast
05-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Quantity matters in keeping crowds down. More courses (no matter what the quality) means fewer players on each one.

garublador
05-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Quantity matters in keeping crowds down. More courses (no matter what the quality) means fewer players on each one.It kind of depends. The better courses here are way more heavily used than the crappier ones. Quantity does matter some, but quality matters a lot more.

scarpfish
05-04-2010, 03:23 PM
It kind of depends. The better courses here are way more heavily used than the crappier ones. Quantity does matter some, but quality matters a lot more.
I disagree. I'd much rather travel someplace with several 2.5-4 rated courses than, 1-2 4+ gems that you're going to be spending a lot of time waiting on people at.

I've been to your area on numerous occasions. I'm curious which courses there you'd consider better versus crappy.

coast2coast
05-04-2010, 03:57 PM
I would much rather go to a lower rated course and play at my own pace than go to a crowded highly rated course. Beginners tend to like the shorter 9 hole courses, so having a few of those in an area will help keep numbers down at more serious, more challenging, higher rated courses.

Posey Ching
05-04-2010, 04:00 PM
What you're overlooking is that people actually do play all year-round in the Midwest.

Tell me something I don't know. But the amount of people that actually play in the freezing temps and snow is VERY minimal. Freeze my a$$ off even with a big winter coat on? Or shorts and teeshirt all year? hmmmmmm

The scene is better than most warmer climate areas in terms of both courses and popularity as a percentage of the population base.

100% opinion

tallpaul
05-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Ya don't wear a big coat...ya layer...works much better that way....though, most of the time, you still end up feeling like the Michelin man. :)

tallpaul
05-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Do you think we just all hibernate during the winter? Actually, gives many players the opportunity to play courses less crowded (like in the old days...sigh); when the noobs are scared of a little cold...

DavidSauls
05-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Quantity matters in keeping crowds down. More courses (no matter what the quality) means fewer players on each one.

Perhaps. Here in central South Carolina courses are in fairly low quantity....pretty good quality....yet not too crowded. An area with many courses, but also many players, is likely as crowded.

I guess, for tournament players, there's an attraction to being able to play more events without staying in hotels. Augusta, GA had 17 sanctioned events in one year, a few years ago. A benefit of quantity.

As a place to live, I'd still rather have a few very good courses.

As a place to visit, I'd definitely rather have a few very good courses.

garublador
05-04-2010, 05:18 PM
I disagree. I'd much rather travel someplace with several 2.5-4 rated courses than, 1-2 4+ gems that you're going to be spending a lot of time waiting on people at.That's not disagreeing with what I said. I prefer the same thing. If what I said weren't true then that wouln't be an option as there would be a more equal distribution between all courses rather than the popular courses being packed.

I've been to your area on numerous occasions. I'm curious which courses there you'd consider better versus crappy.I'm specifically talking about Water Works. There is little to no course maintainence going on which makes it not as pleasant to play, but way more deserted than the other local courses.

tallpaul
05-04-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm specifically talking about Water Works. There is little to no course maintainence going on which makes it not as pleasant to play, but way more deserted than the other local courses.

This is gold; I've actually encouraged this in the past; in my home area; but doesn't really happen any more (partially thanks to DGCR :)). Every course we have is completely over run; even in the morning, on a week day. :(

Posey Ching
05-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Do you think we just all hibernate during the winter? Actually, gives many players the opportunity to play courses less crowded (like in the old days...sigh); when the noobs are scared of a little cold...

lol I know you don't ALL hibernate in the winter. But the majority do. I was born and raised in Iowa so I know all about the winters there. The whole time I lived there I never saw anybody playing in the winter when there was snow or freezing temps. For one, like you said, you feel like the Michelin man. And two, your throwing hand is going to be numb or frost bitten if you're not wearing a glove. I guess you could have some hand warmers that would help though.

But who clears off all of the tee pads? Do you take a shovel with you and clear all 18 pads as you play? lol Or do you just tee off in the vicinity?

Shoot in some places you might not even be able to see the snow covered baskets. So you might have to clear those from snow as well.

Posey Ching
05-04-2010, 07:20 PM
No argument, really. But that's more from a single-person POV. On the macro, looking at a whole are for disc golf, the quantity would be a measure of how available golf is to the people across the whole area.

That is, sure, maybe in Austin the vast majority of players never play more than (say) 5 different courses, but there are 35 courses within 25 miles of a particular spot, thus making disc golf highly available across the area being measured.

I've heard Austin is beautiful. Definitely on the destination list, not just for DG. And I travel to south Florida quite often. I wish they had a lot more courses down there....

Cgkdisc
05-04-2010, 07:23 PM
But who clears off all of the tee pads? Do you take a shovel with you and clear all 18 pads as you play? lol Or do you just tee off in the vicinity?
Yes. We have regular winter volunteers who clear and salt or sand the tee pads as needed all winter long at several courses. When El Nino came thru maybe 8 years ago, the warm winter brought everyone out. Once the temps went back down the following years, players got used to playing in winter and continue to this day. The Chili Dog Saturday league averaged around 40-45 every week during winter. I know the Kensington and/or Hudson Mills (MI) draw doubles on Sundays draws a crowd all year long. There are probably more disc golfers playing in winter now than cross country skiiers in Minnesota. at least in the metro area.

Cgkdisc
05-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc
The scene is better than most warmer climate areas in terms of both courses and popularity as a percentage of the population base.

100% opinion

Nope. Actual stats on numbers of courses per capita by state plus PDGA membership as a percentage of population as a surrogate for total number of players. Regardless, it's reasonable to project that more courses per capita means more players per capita by whatever means you wish to estimate.

Posey Ching
05-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Yes. We have regular winter volunteers who clear and salt or sand the tee pads as needed all winter long at several courses. When El Nino came thru maybe 8 years ago, the warm winter brought everyone out. Once the temps went back down the following years, players got used to playing in winter and continue to this day. The Chili Dog Saturday league averaged around 40-45 every week during winter. I know the Kensington and/or Hudson Mills (MI) draw doubles on Sundays draws a crowd all year long. There are probably more disc golfers playing in winter now than cross country skiiers in Minnesota. at least in the metro area.

Sounds awesome. The true die hards.

But the point I was trying to make is that if I had a choice, I'd rather be somewhere that's warm all year. But that's just my personal preference. I prefer hot over cold. And the courses on the west coast are absolutely beautiful (if one cares about scenery). I just like the clean crisp air out here. In Oregon, everything is really green, no humidity, mountains, clean rivers coming off the mountains, etc. etc. etc.

scarpfish
05-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Sounds awesome. The true die hards.

But the point I was trying to make is that if I had a choice, I'd rather be somewhere that's warm all year. But that's just my personal preference. I prefer hot over cold. And the courses on the west coast are absolutely beautiful (if one cares about scenery). I just like the clean crisp air out here. In Oregon, everything is really green, no humidity, mountains, clean rivers coming off the mountains, etc. etc. etc.
Wouldn't we all like to live and play DG in paradise?

That being said, if those of you who live in warm weather climates ever had to move to a cold weather one that still had a decent DG scene, I think you'd adapt to your surroundings before giving up the hobby, even if only for the winter. And you'd gain an appreciation for winter time play in the process.

Posey Ching
05-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Nope. Actual stats on numbers of courses per capita by state plus PDGA membership as a percentage of population as a surrogate for total number of players. Regardless, it's reasonable to project that more courses per capita means more players per capita by whatever means you wish to estimate.

When you use the word "better," it's always an opinion. In your opinion, it's better.

And you're right to use the word "estimate." Because that is all you are doing. Actual stats on number of courses only tells me just that. Nothing more. You're statements are just assumptions. If one area has tons of courses, it doesn't tell me how many DGers are in the area. Same with PDGA memberships. That just tells me how man DGers signed on with the PDGA. But how many DGers are there that aren't with the PDGA??

The #1 disc golfer in the world lives right here in Portland, OR. Should I make assumptions from that too?

Posey Ching
05-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Wouldn't we all like to live and play DG in paradise?

That being said, if those of you who live in warm weather climates ever had to move to a cold weather one that still had a decent DG scene, I think you'd adapt to your surroundings before giving up the hobby, even if only for the winter. And you'd gain an appreciation for winter time play in the process.

Agreed. Because how many of us move and live somewhere just for DG? Things that weigh our decision are family, job, etc.

I love the Midwest. Great people. And there is some natural beauty there too. And some of the best DG courses in the world.

I was just trying to get at that one reason or one perk of me moving to the west coast was the weather. Some people don't care about what mother nature does, some people do.

Cgkdisc
05-04-2010, 08:33 PM
When you use the word "better," it's always an opinion. In your opinion, it's better. Actual stats on number of courses only tells me just that. Nothing more.
Number of courses per capita is an actual hard number stat which will be even more accurate once the census is updated. Of course, your #1 player was imported from where else? the Midwest! Number of leagues and number of tournaments per capita, both stats. We can say that Oregon has more PDGA Board members per capita than anywhere. All numbers per capita are valid comparisons.

Posey Ching
05-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Number of courses per capita is an actual hard number stat which will be even more accurate once the census is updated. Of course, your #1 player was imported from where else? the Midwest! Number of leagues and number of tournaments per capita, both stats. We can say that Oregon has more PDGA Board members per capita than anywhere. All numbers per capita are valid comparisons.

I never doubted the stats. I doubted the assumptions and estimates that you are making. You must not read very well.

You are taking the stats and making assumptions. "Oh, well, this area has a lot of courses, so there must be a lot of disc golfers here." :\

Exactly. He lived in the Midwest but MOVED to Oregon. What are you going to assume about that one?

You can compare per capita stats all you want. But any assumptions that you make from the stats are just blowing smoke.

You didn't even comment on my quote. You used the word "better" and that alone makes your statement an opinion. Am I wrong?

scarpfish
05-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Exactly. He lived in the Midwest but MOVED to Oregon. What are you going to assume about that one?
That Dave moved there because he hated pumping his own gas.

Aren't assumptions fun? :p

Posey Ching
05-04-2010, 08:48 PM
That Dave moved there because he hated pumping his own gas.

Aren't assumptions fun? :p

lol i hate that about Oregon. I don't want to have to wait for the attendant to come pump my gas. Creates jobs I guess...

But no sales tax is extremely nice...

Cgkdisc
05-04-2010, 09:06 PM
You must have missed the title of this thread. The context cast for this thread is that more disc golf activities are better, or better is better (higher quality courses by rating). If there are more courses per capita, that is "better" by context of this thread. Maybe the park maintenance workers that have to mow or empty trash cans might not think that's better. But that's another context outside the thread. If there are more leagues or more events per capita, that's also mo' betta.'

ATrainWecker
05-04-2010, 09:15 PM
I have to vote for my home, the Monterey Bay area. We may be hosting the 2011 Pro Worlds! Not only do we have the famous De LaVeaga, but a new fresh Tom Schot designed course in Watsonville, CA called Pinto Lake. We also have my two home courses, CSUMB Cypress and Oaks, in Marina, and a sweet newer course in Monterey called Ryan Ranch.

Posey Ching
05-04-2010, 09:46 PM
(higher quality courses by rating)

ratings that are !00% opinion. And possibly other intentions such as giving a 5 just to boost one's home course or a 1 to drop a course with bad intentions. Not to mention the several other possible motives that one may have....

If there are more leagues or more events per capita, that's also mo' betta.'

Again, in your opinion. This wasn't mentioned in the original beginning post.

discflinger
05-05-2010, 12:29 AM
Back to the matter at hand...

As of February:

25 mile radius

WOOT!!

Winter play is all about preparation, layering and not expecting sure footing on every shot.

Steve West
05-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Here's something interesting to ponder. The Twin Cities will be adding 150 pay-to-play holes this summer, for a total of 234. Or thereabouts. I ran out of fingers.

srm_520
05-05-2010, 11:30 PM
As of February:

25 mile radius

Just adding the always overlooked Texas town, since it doesn't come close to the other two.

77002, Houston: 25 mi rad. = 30 courses, 1 quality
50 mi rad. = 39 courses, 2 quality

So then wrap your head around this. Using the 50 mile radius:

78738, Austin, 42 courses, 8 quality
76011, Dallas, 41 courses, 5 quality
77002, Houston, 39 courses, 2 quality (Also, Shawshank outside Houston, you can add one more in both courses and quality to Houston)

Totals that include these three cities and the few cities between: 132 courses, 17 courses rated at 4.00 or higher.

I call it the golden triangle of disc golf. :D

Lewis
05-06-2010, 04:49 AM
I lived in Atlanta for 7 yrs and then it was ok, nothing like texas. I think land is more difficult to obtain in Atlanta. Since I moved they have added White Oak, Alexander and others so it might have picked up.

It must be. Notice that all the courses in "Atlanta" are in the suburbs and exurbs. There are no permanent courses within the city limits.

Lewis
05-06-2010, 04:53 AM
I would much rather go to a lower rated course and play at my own pace than go to a crowded highly rated course. Beginners tend to like the shorter 9 hole courses, so having a few of those in an area will help keep numbers down at more serious, more challenging, higher rated courses.

This. Around my neck of the woods, we have too many players per course. I'd rather have the opposite problem.

pokamitch
05-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Pinellas County, Florida rocks for DG!!!

SpringDgLover
05-06-2010, 08:28 AM
From the places Ive played Austin has one of the best DG scenes around.

05-13-2010, 09:59 AM
i cant even try and compare with TX, but Lehigh Valley PA is pretty sweet. there are 37 courses within 50 miles of me. including 1. 4&1/2 disc, 6. 4 discers, a whole lot of three and a half and threes and a couple crap-o ones. ive been here 6 months and everywhere i go i meet more and more DGers. now we have a sweet pro shop. i couldnt ask for anything more. except a longer summer mabye.

Love the lehigh valley courses but the weather of NC and TX is hard to beat. IL, MN, MI; what you get 4 months a year to play?

Steve West
05-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Love the lehigh valley courses but the weather of NC and TX is hard to beat. IL, MN, MI; what you get 4 months a year to play?

6.2 in MN vs. 8.0 in NC and TX.

http://stevewestdiscgolf.com/Climate.aspx

_.-Dut-._
05-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Charlotte NC, not too shabby

himynameismatt
05-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Portland, OR we have Pier Park, Milo McIver, and Leverich Park just across the river in Vancouver,WA. It's growing so fast in the Pacific Northwest it's almost scary...

Posey Ching
05-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Portland, OR we have Pier Park, Milo McIver, and Leverich Park just across the river in Vancouver,WA. It's growing so fast in the Pacific Northwest it's almost scary...

Leverich?? Leverich should never be included in the same group as McIver or Pier. Leverich was very disappointing IMO. Horning's Hideout, McIver, Pier, Dabney, Rooster Rock, Trojan....

I agree. DG is growing rapidly in the NW.

droppedthenuke
05-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Milwaukee! just kidding, not really

grodney
01-13-2011, 10:35 AM
1/13/2011 update

If we sort by number of 4.00+ courses:
1. 78738, Austin, 33 courses, 6 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
2. 97045, Portland, 27 courses, 4 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
3. 76011, Dallas, 35 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
4. 64129, Kansas City, 20 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 5 at 3.75+
5. 28202, Charlotte, 34 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
6. 18052, Allentown, 20 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
7. 54846, Highbridge, 10 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
8. 50323, Des Moines, 22 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
9. 80433, Denver, 21 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
10. 15086, Pittsburgh-ish, 9 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
11. 55313, Minneapolis-ish, 29 courses, 2 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
12. 45218, Cincinnati, 32 courses, 2 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
13. 55408, Minneapolis, 42 courses, 1 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
14. 46341, N. Indiana, 9 courses, 1 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+

If we sort by number of 3.75+ courses:
4. 55313, Minneapolis-ish, 29 courses, 2 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
5. 55408, Minneapolis, 42 courses, 1 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
6. 64129, Kansas City, 20 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 5 at 3.75+
7. 28202, Charlotte, 34 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
8. 18052, Allentown, 20 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
9. 54846, Highbridge, 10 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
10. 46341, N. Indiana, 9 courses, 1 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
11. 50323, Des Moines, 22 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
12. 80433, Denver, 21 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
13. 15086, Pittsburgh-ish, 9 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
14. 45218, Cincinnati, 32 courses, 2 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+

*minimum 5 reviews

Submit other areas (or better zips) if you like.

mentally_understable
01-13-2011, 11:00 AM
You should all come out to L.A. home of the first permanent disc golf course. It may not be rated as a 4.0 or higher, but this is where it all began. It is the disc golf Mecca. (meaning every disc golfer should visit once in their lifetime.)

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=608

therealbigtrav
01-13-2011, 11:39 AM
It's funny to see Highbridge on there with all of the major metro areas. On a busy weekend there are probably more people on the courses than people who live in Highbridge Wisconsin. Middle of nowhere.

biscoe
01-13-2011, 12:38 PM
within an hour from my house in rural spotsylvania:
bryan park - 4 stars 3.94 rating
walnut creek 4 stars 4.24 rating
giles run - 4 stars 3.97 rating

within a half hour:
loriella 4 stars 3.74 rating

within 15 minutes:
grange tiki 3.5 stars 3.71 rating
grange sunny 4 stars 4.19 rating
grange dark 4 stars 4.25 rating

within 3 minutes;
hawk hollow 4.5 stars 4.65 rating (recently in top 10)

those are just the top-rated ones...

grodney
01-13-2011, 12:56 PM
within a half hour:
loriella 4 stars 3.74 rating

within 15 minutes:
grange tiki 3.5 stars 3.71 rating
grange sunny 4 stars 4.19 rating
grange dark 4 stars 4.25 rating

within 3 minutes;
hawk hollow 4.5 stars 4.65 rating (recently in top 10)

3 at 4.00+ and 3 at 3.75+ within a 25 mile radius of a zip gets you a tie for 8th, unless we go to total courses for a tie-breaker. If you could bump Loriella from 3.74 to 3.75, it would tie for 5th (or be 8th after tie-breakers).

11. 22534, Biscoville-ish, 6 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
12. 55313, Minneapolis-ish, 29 courses, 2 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
13. 45218, Cincinnati, 32 courses, 2 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
14. 55408, Minneapolis, 42 courses, 1 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
15. 46341, N. Indiana, 9 courses, 1 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+

sillybizz
01-13-2011, 01:00 PM
YAY Oregon! Go Portland #2! :)

grodney
01-13-2011, 01:15 PM
If you shift the Charlotte zip code north and east, you lose 12 courses, lose 2 courses that are 3.75+, but gain a 4.00+, so sorting by 4.00+, it moves into 3rd place:

3. 28025, Charlotte (Northeast), 22 courses, 4 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
4. 76011, Dallas, 35 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
5. 64129, Kansas City, 20 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 5 at 3.75+
6. 28202, Charlotte, 34 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
7. 18052, Allentown, 20 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
8. 54846, Highbridge, 10 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
9. 50323, Des Moines, 22 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
10. 80433, Denver, 21 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
11. 15086, Pittsburgh-ish, 9 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
12. 22534, Biscoville-ish, 6 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
13. 55313, Minneapolis-ish, 29 courses, 2 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
15. 55408, Minneapolis, 42 courses, 1 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
16. 46341, N. Indiana, 9 courses, 1 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+

This is probably possible in other areas as well. So I guess I need to standardize on either 4.00 or 3.75. Hmmmmmmm. Thoughts?

4.00 is nice and even.
3.75 sort-of rounds up to 4-stars, and on a site like this, might be more "fair".

Hmmmmm.

biscoe
01-13-2011, 01:23 PM
If you could bump Loriella from 3.74 to 3.75, it would tie for 5th (or be 8th after tie-breakers).

loriella's rating is likely to climb... tee signs have been added and many tees improved since a lot of the reviews...

grodney
01-13-2011, 01:26 PM
What's more compelling?

This list of zip codes within 25 miles of 4.00+ courses:
1. 78738, Austin, 33 courses, 6 at 4.00+
2. 97045, Portland, 27 courses, 4 at 4.00+
3. 28025, Charlotte (Northeast), 22 courses, 4 at 4.00+
4. 76011, Dallas, 35 courses, 3 at 4.00+
5. 28202, Charlotte, 34 courses, 3 at 4.00+
6. 50323, Des Moines, 22 courses, 3 at 4.00+
7. 80433, Denver, 21 courses, 3 at 4.00+
8. 64129, Kansas City, 20 courses, 3 at 4.00+
9. 18052, Allentown, 20 courses, 3 at 4.00+
10. 54846, Highbridge, 10 courses, 3 at 4.00+
11. 15086, Pittsburgh-ish, 9 courses, 3 at 4.00+
12. 22534, Biscoville-ish, 6 courses, 3 at 4.00+

Or this list of zip codes within 25 miles of 3.75+ courses:
1. 55408, Minneapolis, 42 courses, 7 at 3.75+
2. 76011, Dallas, 35 courses, 7 at 3.75+
3. 78738, Austin, 33 courses, 7 at 3.75+
4. 55313, Minneapolis-ish, 29 courses, 7 at 3.75+
5. 97045, Portland, 27 courses, 7 at 3.75+
6. 64129, Kansas City, 20 courses, 5 at 3.75+
7. 28202, Charlotte, 34 courses, 4 at 3.75+
8. 28025, Charlotte (Northeast), 22 courses, 4 at 3.75+
9. 18052, Allentown, 20 courses, 4 at 3.75+
10. 54846, Highbridge, 10 courses, 4 at 3.75+
11. 46341, N. Indiana, 9 courses, 4 at 3.75+

The huge-est difference is that 55408 with 7 over 3.75, but only 1 over 4.00.

(Of course repeats (Charlotte and Minneapolis) would be removed from each list.)

jasonc
01-13-2011, 01:34 PM
You should all come out to L.A. home of the first permanent disc golf course. It may not be rated as a 4.0 or higher, but this is where it all began. It is the disc golf Mecca. (meaning every disc golfer should visit once in their lifetime.)

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=608

Been there & I wholeheartedly agree. I also played the so-called 2nd permanent course at Huntington Beach. Although I appreciate the history there, I gotta say that I had more fun on the course at Coyote Point and Dela while I was driving up the Left Coast.

biscoe
01-13-2011, 01:40 PM
imo quality trumps quantity- number of courses/holes is a red herring.

bthoma1
01-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Go Oregon and KC..woot woot

01-13-2011, 02:19 PM
1/13/2011 update

If we sort by number of 4.00+ courses:
11. 55313, Minneapolis-ish, 29 courses, 2 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
12. 45218, Cincinnati, 32 courses, 2 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
13. 55408, Minneapolis, 42 courses, 1 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
14. 46341, N. Indiana, 9 courses, 1 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+

If we sort by number of 3.75+ courses:
4. 55313, Minneapolis-ish, 29 courses, 2 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
5. 55408, Minneapolis, 42 courses, 1 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
6. 64129, Kansas City, 20 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 5 at 3.75+
7. 28202, Charlotte, 34 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
8. 18052, Allentown, 20 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
9. 54846, Highbridge, 10 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
10. 46341, N. Indiana, 9 courses, 1 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
11. 50323, Des Moines, 22 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
12. 80433, Denver, 21 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
13. 15086, Pittsburgh-ish, 9 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+

*minimum 5 reviews

Submit other areas (or better zips) if you like.

Can't wait for the 3 new courses that will open this spring to be reviewed. What is the radius that you use to determine which courses are attached to those cities?

NM looks like 25 miles.

bikinjack
01-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Can't wait for the 3 4 new courses that will open this spring to be reviewed. What is the radius that you use to determine which courses are attached to those cities?

NM looks like 25 miles.

You're forgetting the new course in G-Town.

thrembo
01-13-2011, 04:09 PM
I can't believe Michigan doesn't get more love on this site! There are an amazing # of great courses around the state.

KNole
01-13-2011, 05:27 PM
PA ALL DAY

Danger
01-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Maybe not the best scene, but Los Angeles really has something going. I have not traveled very much to play so I can't compare, but I can tell you what we have:

-The ability to play all year round
-Weekly's every weekday
-Monthly's every weekend
-Regular night events (lama, xmas at og)
-PDGA stuff multiple times a year
-Flat park courses
-Hilly park courses
-Mountain courses
-Courses at the beach
-Courses in the desert
-Courses in the city
-Open courses
-Highly technical courses
-Pro's who give lessons
-Two actual physical DG exclusive stores
-A couple of active, local clubs
-The most active DGCR weekly meet up forum. PERIOD!

I could care less about your 'radius' requirements because LA surpasses every radius in the country.
The 'quality' rating out here is different because of the 'California Curve' previously discussed here. We have to get on airplanes to see what is on the east coast, therefore most of our ratings are relative to what we have here, putting some of our better courses in the mid 3's. If Oak Grove was in Michigan everybody there would probably be rating it 4.5 or above just because thats what they do.

Anyway in conclusion, we have an upbeat and supportive scene. Courses have their own followings and there are a couple of regional clubs as well. From our northernmost 'local' course (Valencia?) to our southernmost (Deerfield?), its a 2 hour drive. In between that, we have some serious variety. Oh, and all of our courses have baskets for whatever that is worth.

We also have the highest percentage of ladies and non-whites playing (totally made up statistic). So there.

DavidSauls
01-13-2011, 05:41 PM
I can't believe Michigan doesn't get more love on this site!

Obviously, you haven't encountered any Flip City Disciples yet.

StuMagoo
01-13-2011, 05:44 PM
ATX FTW:thmbup:

mashnut
01-13-2011, 05:44 PM
The 'quality' rating out here is different because of the 'California Curve' previously discussed here. We have to get on airplanes to see what is on the east coast, therefore most of our ratings are relative to what we have here, putting some of our better courses in the mid 3's. If Oak Grove was in Michigan everybody there would probably be rating it 4.5 or above just because thats what they do.

I agree that there's a pretty good dg scene in LA, but this part of your post I totally disagree with. Oak Grove is nowhere near most of the 4.5 rated midwest courses I've played, in fact the LA courses I've played have generally been overrated. You have pitch n putt 9 holers with major safety issues rated 2.5 that are nowhere near average, and you have good courses that are rated as great. The California Curve works the opposite way of what you're implying imo.

DavidSauls
01-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Just use the universal answer, available to anyone posting on any thread regarding the best courses/places/states/cities/etc.:

"Here"

Mark R
01-13-2011, 06:02 PM
I built a slight amount of positive bias into my SoCal course ratings because space is such an issue out there.

However, Coyote Point/Lake Casitas can hang with the very best. I like it better than Idlewild.

mashnut
01-13-2011, 06:13 PM
I built a slight amount of positive bias into my SoCal course ratings because space is such an issue out there.

However, Coyote Point/Lake Casitas can hang with the very best. I like it better than Idlewild.

Casitas and Sunrise are great courses, no question. Both of those are in my favorites list out of almost 400 played. It's the middle of the road and below courses in the LA area that were really overrated in my opinion.

agentdozzer
01-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Im getting to charlotte this year cant wait to play there course's. Ill make it out west in a couple years. The older post from Posey made me laugh the kentucky cult of dgcr classic. I am not the leader just the guy making the kool aid.

thrembo
01-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Obviously, you haven't encountered any Flip City Disciples yet.

They love their course, but I don't see them posting too much, the Grand Rapids people on the other hand...

scarpfish
01-13-2011, 09:38 PM
What's more compelling?

This list of zip codes within 25 miles of 4.00+ courses:

Or this list of zip codes within 25 miles of 3.75+ courses:

Neither. 25 miles is too small of a radius. As I stated once, if one were to set their center point on downtown Dallas or downtown Forth Worth, they'd never reach the other city's downtown much less any courses beyond that. 50 miles would be a better barometer.

You also have to consider that the Zip Code search tends to be a bit on the liberal side and that a number of courses outside the selected radius make it into the results, therefore those courses should be omitted.

Danger
01-14-2011, 04:28 AM
I agree with the 'set' radius rule, in that you can't really use it on a national level.

In cities like Los Angeles, a 35 mile drive might be 'ok' but just down the coast in San Diego, anything over 15 miles is considered far.

grodney
01-14-2011, 08:55 AM
25 miles is too small of a radius. As I stated once, if one were to set their center point on downtown Dallas or downtown Forth Worth, they'd never reach the other city's downtown much less any courses beyond that. 50 miles would be a better barometer.

You also have to consider that the Zip Code search tends to be a bit on the liberal side and that a number of courses outside the selected radius make it into the results, therefore those courses should be omitted.

I understand what you're saying. I'm going more for meccas -- that is, groupings of good courses (and possibly lots of courses). Not necessarily metro areas. I realize this doesn't fit the original intent of the thread. (Metro area is meaningless to me, just due to definitions, and more importantly, due to practicality.)

Thanks for pointing out the nuances of the Zip Code search. I might just have to deal with it, as I'm not sure I have a better answer. If the world were perfect, I'd be able to do a radius from any given point, and not involve Zip Code at all.

simpletwist
01-14-2011, 09:10 AM
I don't know about "best," but disc golf is thriving in Western NY. In the 3 years I've been playing, at least a 1/2 dozen new courses have been built from Rochester west to Buffalo's southtowns. And several more are in various planning stages. Many of the older courses have been updated and improved. One State Park Manager has stated he has 4000 acres and room for at least 2 more courses.

Clue
01-16-2011, 06:30 AM
Neither. 25 miles is too small of a radius. As I stated once, if one were to set their center point on downtown Dallas or downtown Forth Worth, they'd never reach the other city's downtown much less any courses beyond that. 50 miles would be a better barometer.

I wonder how many states you could completely cross through the midpoint in the time it takes to get from Ft Worth to Rockwall, or have less people? Comparing DFW to other *metro areas* is like comparing dinosaurs to frogs and turtles.

Course reviews for Austin and DFW are so incredibly inflated. I've played most of them, and I don't mean to sound like a hater because I love playing in Texas, but some of the 4 and 5 star ratings are absurd.

I could flip flop KC and Des Moines all day depending on criteria. KC probably has better leagues and tournaments and is easily more fun, but Des Moines' courses are still better. Charlotte and the Twin Cities are really close as well, and they both have the potential to jump significantly in the next year or two with major course expansions. I think Austin gets a slight edge over DFW. But a real super sleeper is the Quad Cities on the border of Iowa and Illinois, easily a top 10 area in the country.

optidiscic
01-16-2011, 06:42 AM
I've never been to Texas but it and Cali seem to get labeled as overrated more than other regions. I think it has more to do with the fact that so many better courses have emerged in the past 10 yrs and these large states are clinging to their once frontrunner status and continue to compare themselves to themselves. I really have no idea just a theme Ive noticed.

eegor
01-16-2011, 09:50 AM
I've never been to Texas but it and Cali seem to get labeled as overrated more than other regions. I think it has more to do with the fact that so many better courses have emerged in the past 10 yrs and these large states are clinging to their once frontrunner status and continue to compare themselves to themselves. I really have no idea just a theme Ive noticed.

Or it could be jealousy. Since I only play in Texas, I have no way of knowing. I do know that most of the courses in Texas get beat down from overplaying and drought. There are times, the month of May for instance, when all of the courses are in great shape at once. At these times, I think the big ratings are fair. When drought hits the state, all of the courses are worn and dry. They wouldn't be worthy of big ratings at that time.

As a point of comparison, how would you rate a Minneapolis course covered in 8 inches of snow? I probably would rate it pretty low... or really low. It wouldn't be fair to the course, nor would it be fair for me to get on the internet and say the course is over rated because I had a less than stellar impression after a blizzard.

Texas and California are frequently hit with drought conditions. The locals understand... please try to understand, what you play on today may be completely different in two or three months, depending on the weather.

optidiscic
01-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Ive never played in Texas or Cali...you make good points. It's just a frequent theme Ive heard from people who have played in these states.
Every Region has its hell season......snow, drought, excessive vegetaion, heat and so on. The size of Texas seems to mean many Texans have never played elsewhere. Just an internet observation from afar.

Lewis
01-16-2011, 10:09 AM
There are a few things in this list that Atlanta doesn't have because of geography (mountain, beach, and desert courses), but the one thing I'd most like to see emerge in my area would be local pros who actually give lessons. Feldberg and Climo have given group lessons in my area the past two years when they're in town for the Atlanta Open, but I don't think our local pros offer lessons at all. It could be you just have to ask and offer the right compensation, or maybe you have to know the right people and show enough talent for them to take you under their wing, but I've never heard of a local pro openly selling private lessons to whoever wants them.

Otherwise if Danger's list is a good measure of what makes a good local disc golf scene, Atlanta seems to be in pretty good shape despite our lack of course density. Thanks for making me feel better. :)

Also Atlantans can relate to Los Angeles in the "radius doesn't apply to us" category. 25 miles in Atlanta, especially at the wrong time of day or in the wrong direction at any time of day, can easily take over an hour to drive.

-The ability to play all year round
-Weekly's every weekday
-Monthly's every weekend
-Regular night events (lama, xmas at og)
-PDGA stuff multiple times a year
-Flat park courses
-Hilly park courses
-Mountain courses
-Courses at the beach
-Courses in the desert
-Courses in the city
-Open courses
-Highly technical courses
-Pro's who give lessons
-Two actual physical DG exclusive stores
-A couple of active, local clubs
-The most active DGCR weekly meet up forum. PERIOD!

I could care less about your 'radius' requirements because LA surpasses every radius in the country.

Cgkdisc
01-16-2011, 10:32 AM
As a point of comparison, how would you rate a Minneapolis course covered in 8 inches of snow? I probably would rate it pretty low... or really low. It wouldn't be fair to the course, nor would it be fair for me to get on the internet and say the course is over rated because I had a less than stellar impression after a blizzard.
I think many players, who are happy to play in the winter in general, would find Blue Ribbon Pines still better in the winter than some of the Texas courses at any time. We have players who play every Tuesday night from Thanksgiving to March on 3.5-4 rated courses no matter what the weather or snow cover.

eegor
01-16-2011, 11:09 AM
I think many players, who are happy to play in the winter in general, would find Blue Ribbon Pines still better in the winter than some of the Texas courses at any time. We have players who play every Tuesday night from Thanksgiving to March on 3.5-4 rated courses no matter what the weather or snow cover.

I'm certain the opposite is also true.

eegor
01-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Ive never played in Texas or Cali...you make good points. It's just a frequent theme Ive heard from people who have played in these states.
Every Region has its hell season......snow, drought, excessive vegetaion, heat and so on. The size of Texas seems to mean many Texans have never played elsewhere. Just an internet observation from afar.

Texas and California have weather allowing for year around disc golfing. The relentless traffic the courses endure takes its toll over the years. The older courses become barren by those who constantly clear out the brush to make the course easier for the noob. The long droughts also have a negative effect for recovering growth. This can make what was once a great course into an average course... in a short time.

I know my voice may be alone in the wilderness on this one, but don't work so hard clearing the courses. The natural obstacles add charm and beauty to a course. Don't worry so much about your average score. Everyone plays the same course... I think harder courses are a lot more fun.

If you must do your time working at the course, pick up trash.

tallpaul
01-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Texas and California have weather allowing for year around disc golfing. The relentless traffic the courses endure takes its toll over the years. The older courses become barren by those who constantly clear out the brush to make the course easier for the noob. The long droughts also have a negative effect for recovering growth. This can make what was once a great course into an average course... in a short time.

I know my voice may be alone in the wilderness on this one, but don't work so hard clearing the courses. The natural obstacles add charm and beauty to a course. Don't worry so much about your average score. Everyone plays the same course... I think harder courses are a lot more fun.

In regards to this; some of my favorite times playing a course are not long after installation. One gets to see the rough at it's roughest. Plus, often, not many are aware of course yet; and you have it to yourself. I have seen courses go from punishing to nearly wide open; due to rough clearing over the years. I have also seen; on rare occasions; where edges are left alone; that rough can get tougher over the years....

scarpfish
01-16-2011, 12:04 PM
:rolleyes:

AKormendi
01-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Not much love here for the Ann Arbor area. Within 50 miles of my zip code I have 11 4 star+ rated courses, and 51 total. I wouldn't call it the best area, since we've not quite got the geology for it, too flat, but there's a really strong scene. Good maintenance on courses, tournaments constantly, excellent players. The only time I've been to any of our quality courses and not found someone else playing was during a blizzard. And me and a friend still played 24 holes while 4 inches fell.
Oh, and we've got Discraft's HQ, too.

Clue
01-16-2011, 10:55 PM
I don't rate courses based on weather.

harr0140
01-16-2011, 11:54 PM
I wonder how many states you could completely cross through the midpoint in the time it takes to get from Ft Worth to Rockwall, or have less people? Comparing DFW to other *metro areas* is like comparing dinosaurs to frogs and turtles.

Course reviews for Austin and DFW are so incredibly inflated. I've played most of them, and I don't mean to sound like a hater because I love playing in Texas, but some of the 4 and 5 star ratings are absurd.

I could flip flop KC and Des Moines all day depending on criteria. KC probably has better leagues and tournaments and is easily more fun, but Des Moines' courses are still better. Charlotte and the Twin Cities are really close as well, and they both have the potential to jump significantly in the next year or two with major course expansions. I think Austin gets a slight edge over DFW. But a real super sleeper is the Quad Cities on the border of Iowa and Illinois, easily a top 10 area in the country.

You have mentioned all of the major cities I have played in (although I am headed to Dallas tomorrow to check out some courses and Kansas City in a few days (might not get to play much because of snow)) I will be able to add more after I finish this road trip, but I would say in terms of quality courses Charlotte is tops for me right now and I have played a lot in the Twin Cities, Quad Cities, SE WI, Northern Ill, the west coast of Florida, and a smattering of courses in Texas now. What I will say right now is that the high rated courses in TX deserve their ratings (so far at least), but the mediocre all seem to be receiving elevated ratings. I just feel that having played in some of the hotbeds for disc golf I can safely say Texas seems to be slightly overrated as a whole.

himynameismatt
01-17-2011, 01:12 AM
IMO there's like 5 major disc golf scenes in the US, in no particular order...Texas, Carolinas, Upper Midwest(MI, WI, MN), California and the Pacific Northwest...This is fairly broad statement but I'd bet that about half or more of the top pros in the world are from one of those areas.

Midnightbiker
01-17-2011, 02:08 AM
There are 39 courses in the Greater Houston area.

Lewis
01-18-2011, 11:15 AM
There are 39 courses in the Greater Houston area.

But only about three inside 610. :(

Lewis
01-18-2011, 11:28 AM
IMO there's like 5 major disc golf scenes in the US, in no particular order...Texas, Carolinas, Upper Midwest(MI, WI, MN), California and the Pacific Northwest...This is fairly broad statement but I'd bet that about half or more of the top pros in the world are from one of those areas.

This is 30-something percent of the country's population. Just California and Texas combine for about 20% of the total US population. So it would not be terribly surprising to find that close to half of the top pros are from one of these areas. Anectodally, however, 3 of the last 4 USDGC champions were NOT from one of these areas of the country.

simpletwist
01-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Saying California or Texas has a thriving disc golf scene is imho ludicrous. If I lived in San Diego Its an all day affair just to drive to San Fran. And Texas is the 2nd biggest state in the union. Metro areas makes more sense to me. Houston with 39 metro courses makes sense, but not Texas. And to say the tri state area of MN, WI, MI as a metro area is again ridiculous. If you have to drive more than 2 hours you are way beyond the idea of a metro area.

esdubya
01-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Not much love here for the Ann Arbor area. Within 50 miles of my zip code I have 11 4 star+ rated courses, and 51 total. I wouldn't call it the best area, since we've not quite got the geology for it, too flat, but there's a really strong scene. Good maintenance on courses, tournaments constantly, excellent players. The only time I've been to any of our quality courses and not found someone else playing was during a blizzard. And me and a friend still played 24 holes while 4 inches fell.
Oh, and we've got Discraft's HQ, too.

Ann Arbor FTW!

Enough courses to spread out the players, and many are starting to go pay-to-play. If we get our "crown jewel" (details TBA, but it would basically be a 5-disc course right in the heart of town) then Ann Arbor would be THE prime disc golf destination, or at least a very good stop on your way up to Ludington.

That said, Ludington, MI (Flip-Leviathan-Goliath-Beast-Beauty) seriously rivals anywhere else based on quality of course alone. The tourney/league scene isn't crazy there but that is only because the population density is pretty low.

This ranking should also include quantity/quality of local microbrews. Ann Arbor - Portland, OR - NorCal are all awesome. This is where Texas loses! :p

discmeister
01-18-2011, 12:24 PM
I live south of arlington, 76063, and can hit the courses listed on the initial listed search within 45 minutes. Life is good. Have friens that live in Houston. Sorry,but the quality is not the same and you have to travel further.

JHern
01-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Saying California or Texas has a thriving disc golf scene is imho ludicrous. If I lived in San Diego Its an all day affair just to drive to San Fran. And Texas is the 2nd biggest state in the union. Metro areas makes more sense to me. Houston with 39 metro courses makes sense, but not Texas. And to say the tri state area of MN, WI, MI as a metro area is again ridiculous. If you have to drive more than 2 hours you are way beyond the idea of a metro area.

You're right, California and Texas both have multiple smaller scenes embedded within them, and this seem to be how people in those states think about it...

For example, inside California, San Diego is an island surrounded by vast disc golf drought (Morley Field is the crown jewel), the LA area is a large scene with courses around the periphery (e.g., Sylmar, Casitas, Long Beach, La Mirada, Oak Grove), there is the south central coast scene (e.g., Waller Pines, SLO), the Monterey Bay scene (e.g., Ryan Ranch-CSUMB, Pinto Lake-Aptos-DeLaveaga-Felton), the south bay scene (e.g., Hellyer, la Raza), San Francisco (e.g., GG Park, Berkeley, and hopefully more soon), the wine/cheese/beer country scene (Stafford Lake, Napa Valley, Ukiah), the north coast scene (e.g., Humboldt State), the south San Joaquin River valley scene (e.g., Bakersfield, Visalia, Fresno), the Sacramento River valley scene (e.g., Stockton, Sacramento), the Sierra foothills scene (e.g., New Hogan, Placerville, Auburn, Grass Valley), the Tahoe scene (e.g., Markleeville, N/S Lake Tahoe, Truckee), and the southern Cascades scene (Shasta, Redding, Chico,...).

Some of these scenes are geographically huge in themselves, and only loosely affiliated across the region. But folks who play tournaments are likely to know most of the other tournament players at least in their own region, and associate with them more than players from another region. The quality of the disc golf scene (courses, players, community organization) also varies dramatically from one region to the next within a state.

himynameismatt
01-18-2011, 01:10 PM
This is 30-something percent of the country's population. Just California and Texas combine for about 20% of the total US population. So it would not be terribly surprising to find that close to half of the top pros are from one of these areas. Anectodally, however, 3 of the last 4 USDGC champions were NOT from one of these areas of the country.

Hence the "this is a fairly broad statement" part whenever you're talking about California and/or Texas the population of those two states surely inflates the numbers.

And yeah I didn't break up California into Northern or Southern. Didn't seperate MI, WI, or MN, and didn't split up Texas. I don't really know the specific areas within those areas, but know they're all fairly big DG areas.

So honestly if you're in SoCal and are serious about DG I'm sure you make the trip North a few times a year to play tourneys etc. Just as I'm sure people from the DFW area play tournaments in Austin.

giles
01-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Hence the "this is a fairly broad statement" part whenever you're talking about California and/or Texas the population of those two states surely inflates the numbers.

And yeah I didn't break up California into Northern or Southern. Didn't seperate MI, WI, or MN, and didn't split up Texas. I don't really know the specific areas within those areas, but know they're all fairly big DG areas.

So honestly if you're in SoCal and are serious about DG I'm sure you make the trip North a few times a year to play tourneys etc. Just as I'm sure people from the DFW area play tournaments in Austin.

TX has (for my argument) 3 major disc golf metro areas. DFW, Austin & Houston. From DFW to Austin or Houston is under a 4 hour drive, Austin to Houston even less.

ZMan44
01-18-2011, 01:52 PM
My vote is for Rhode Island.

simpletwist
01-18-2011, 02:34 PM
I've just read back a few posts and see that some folks consider climate as a factor, as in being able to play all year long. Who was it not long ago said in the media we are becoming a country of wussies. I played all weekend here in the Great White North. Wind chills around zero Saturday and Sunday, slightly milder yesterday. The wife and I weren't the only ones out there.

You can play all year long just about anywhere. The early forecast for this upcoming Saturday around these parts is a high of 12 and a low of 0. And that doesn't factor in the wind chill. We'll be out there. I like it better with these severe conditions better than 90 degrees and 90% humidity.

himynameismatt
01-18-2011, 06:02 PM
TX has (for my argument) 3 major disc golf metro areas. DFW, Austin & Houston. From DFW to Austin or Houston is under a 4 hour drive, Austin to Houston even less.

Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

I think that supports my argument that Texas DG can just be called Texas rather than breaking down each specific metro area esp by anyone who doesn't frequent these areas.

lokirising
01-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Portland, OR

mashnut
01-18-2011, 06:18 PM
I've lived and disc golfed in San Diego, Indiana, and now Chicago. I play year round here in the midwest, and have no major issue with playing in the nasty winter weather. That doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer living somewhere where I wouldn't ever have to deal with that. Given the choice of playing year round in a tee shirt with less than 10 rainy days a year and having to bundle up for a third of the year and playing in rain a good part of the rest of the year, it's a pretty easy choice. I definitely wouldn't classify myself as a wussy, but I would still love to be in a place where disc golfing was easier year round.

I've just read back a few posts and see that some folks consider climate as a factor, as in being able to play all year long. Who was it not long ago said in the media we are becoming a country of wussies. I played all weekend here in the Great White North. Wind chills around zero Saturday and Sunday, slightly milder yesterday. The wife and I weren't the only ones out there.

You can play all year long just about anywhere. The early forecast for this upcoming Saturday around these parts is a high of 12 and a low of 0. And that doesn't factor in the wind chill. We'll be out there. I like it better with these severe conditions better than 90 degrees and 90% humidity.

01-19-2011, 09:37 AM

And NC has the market cornered on Am World Champions. 6 in 10 years right? 3 Charlotte, 1 High Pointe and 2 Raleigh? (Keatts is a Raleigh traitor, but we claim him in Charlotte anyways)

gj pain
01-19-2011, 10:42 AM
What up St. Louis?

I think we have some great courses, as well as some crappy ones.

himynameismatt
01-19-2011, 01:19 PM
What up St. Louis?

I think we have some great courses, as well as some crappy ones.

Home of Gateway Discs too! I would love to visit their factory store someday, I've had dreams about it.

grodney
01-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Okay boys and girls, I have identified a 4th location that has 4 courses 4.00+ with 5+ reviews within 25 miles, thus joining Austin, Portland, and Charlotte below. And it's not in the list below. Can you figure it out?

(There might be others, but I've only found 1 more so far.)

3. 28025, Charlotte (Northeast), 22 courses, 4 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
4. ?????, ????????????????, 12 courses, 4 at 4.00+, 5 at 3.75+
76011, Dallas, 35 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
64129, Kansas City, 20 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 5 at 3.75+
28202, Charlotte, 34 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
18052, Allentown, 20 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
54846, Highbridge, 10 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+
50323, Des Moines, 22 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
80433, Denver, 21 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
15086, Pittsburgh-ish, 9 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
22534, Biscoville-ish, 6 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
55313, Minneapolis-ish, 29 courses, 2 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
45218, Cincinnati, 32 courses, 2 at 4.00+, 3 at 3.75+
55408, Minneapolis, 42 courses, 1 at 4.00+, 7 at 3.75+
46341, N. Indiana, 9 courses, 1 at 4.00+, 4 at 3.75+

esdubya
01-19-2011, 02:10 PM
0. Ann Arbor (50 mile radius) 51 courses, 3 at 4.00+, 15 at 3.5+

optidiscic
01-19-2011, 05:10 PM
lehigh valley PA meets your criteria

swatso
01-19-2011, 05:19 PM
is real close to your requirements

optidiscic
01-19-2011, 05:35 PM
where i am 18960

grodney
01-20-2011, 08:45 AM
where i am 18960

Good one guys, I had not previously seen that one. 4 at 4.00+, 6 at 3.75+, and 23 total within a 25 mile radius. Nice!

That's not the area I found, but it works.

So now we have Austin, Portland, Charlotte, North of Philly, and my mystery spot -- all with 4 (or more) courses at 4.00+ (min 5 reviews) within 25 miles.

mashnut
01-20-2011, 09:23 AM
How about 49431? It's not the one you were thinking of, but there are 4 4-5 disc rated courses within 25 miles (5 if you lower the number of reviews necessary).

optidiscic
01-20-2011, 10:09 AM
northern burbs of portland maine is pretty tasty

optidiscic
01-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Augusta GA perhaps?

Canis Lupis
01-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Cincinnati! Idlewild and Mt. Airey vs. the World!

bikinjack
01-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Augusta GA perhaps?

I think we have a winner. The three IDGC courses are all 4+, as is Hippodrome. Pine Valley Hogback is as well, but only has 2 reviews. There are two more within 25 miles that are 3.5+ with 10+ reviews.

grodney
01-20-2011, 12:04 PM
I think we have a winner. The three IDGC courses are all 4+, as is Hippodrome. Pine Valley Hogback is as well, but only has 2 reviews. There are two more within 25 miles that are 3.5+ with 10+ reviews.

Yep yep, Opti got the one I was thinking of.

Mashnut, 49431 is close, but Beauty and Goliath are both under 4.00.

REDARMY
01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
meh. my zip, 63031, has 5 4-discers within 30 miles.

another course or two and an upgrade of our crappy tee signs, maybe the STL area will get a little more traffic.

jdawg24
01-20-2011, 02:42 PM
I have to give a shout out to our local scene in Atlanta since its improved so much in the past few years and with recent course redesigns and additions, its becoming legitimately very good, very quickly. We've added 1-2 solid courses each of the last few years and the # of courses statewide has tripled since 2005 from under 20 to 60+.

I live near the center of downtown in 30312 and while there is nothing within 25 minute drive except Perkerson temp course (everything is in the 'burbs), I count 11 3.5+ courses within 50 miles (50 min drive). That includes #3 rated Flyboy. Not counting Bullard Stockton which is in the process of being installed and temporarily not playable but will be 4+, and Perkerson which is temp 4+ but is setup all the time. Within 60 miles includes Athens, GA's 4+ Sandy Creek and the best course ever in the back of that park, the Crucible (when playable). And Augusta/IDGC courses are just 2 hours drive down I-20.

drickanderson
01-20-2011, 05:38 PM
I can't, for the life of me, figure out why Vegas isn't the disc golf mecca of the world. Our courses suck, yet they are always packed. We can play year-round here, and people love coming to Vegas. Somebody just needs to capitalize on this sport here. Can you imagine if we could convince just ONE casino to invest in building a disc golf course, how amazing it could be?

We could start having disc golf conventions here, with the disc companies showing off their latest and greatest. ... Dammit! Somebody needs to make this happen NOW ... lol

*sigh* ..

mashnut
01-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Yep yep, Opti got the one I was thinking of.

Mashnut, 49431 is close, but Beauty and Goliath are both under 4.00.

Whoops, just looked at the rounded ratings not the exact ones, you're right.

StevenDodge
01-21-2011, 08:19 AM
So back in 2003, I spent a day in Minneapolis/St. Paul and managed to play all of the courses. I went back again last year and was blown away by the disc golf scene there. Leagues, clubs, stores, courses, players, players and more players.

What are some other happening disc golf cities?

sillybizz
01-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Portland, Oregon is the best I've been to.

CatFish
01-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Augusta Ga ftw, IDGC, patriots, riverview, lake olmstead (site of the 06 worlds), hippodrome, pendleton king park, all awesome courses. I've traveled alot lately with my girlfriend as she's gone on residency interviews. played all over the place. dgcr helped me find the best courses everywhere, and the best courses in other cities compare to our worst. don't believe me, come play. I played flyboy with Kelley, it was awesome and he and his family were amazing. but the course is about the same as those at IDGC. none of the other here courses are far behind either. Only one club, they can be d$&#s though, leauges almost every night of the week during summer. regular games fri-sun all year.

Gflap
01-21-2011, 08:52 AM
St Louis is moving up. Sioux Passage, Jefferson Barracks, Endicott (Nikko's home course), Rock Spring and Quail Ridge. Also, Creve Coeur if you like long and flat.

AirMcNair
01-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Bowling green, KY. They have so many courses in such a small area, but they are all good courses. Nashville, TN has a bunch of courses within 30 miles with a great dg store in Cloud9. Not only that but BG and Nashville is only a hour apart.

01-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Ha, there are a bunch of these threads. Have to mention Charlotte, and while I've never been a bunch of people will mention Austin.

01-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Yay, good job admins merging the threads!

sillybizz
01-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Yay, good job admins merging the threads!

Finally some recognition!!! :)

01-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Boo!!! you are trying to suppress my free speech by hiding my posts in large established threads.

sillybizz
01-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Quiet, you. lulz.

sillybizz
01-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Atlanta looks pretty amazing, I've never been but I'll be in Augusta in May, hopefully I'll have enough time to hit Flyboy and a couple others.