PDA

View Full Version : Recreational Division at Am Worlds

TheStray
05-18-2010, 11:20 AM
I was wondering if there is normally a recreational or novice division at the Am Worlds. Is there anything for non-advanced new PDGA members to do there competitively?

billnchristy
05-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Nope Adv and up unless you are a Jr.

Kwick
05-18-2010, 12:06 PM
"I am the Rec World Champion" does sound a little silly

billnchristy
05-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Just a word, here comes this debate again....

tallpaul
05-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Always a waiting list at the Worlds. This is the "hidden gold" that is luckily still available in our sport. If you want the experience, you can play. TDs and players want a full field, and so, if you're interested....

*scared of repercussions from veteran players*

Cgkdisc
05-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Philosophically, the tradition of Am Worlds is to determine the best amateur player in each age range and gender even though skill level ranges are theoretically just as legit.

Vegan Ray
05-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Why don't we just roll Little League style (as if the PDGA could manage that kind of large international sporting organization) and give a trophy & a "World Champ" title to every schmuck out there & be done with it?

zenbot
05-18-2010, 04:37 PM
You got a problem with me?

Cgkdisc
05-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Why don't we just roll Little League style (as if the PDGA could manage that kind of large international sporting organization) and give a trophy & a "World Champ" title to every schmuck out there & be done with it?
They do it in many other sports with NIKE tour, College Worlds Series, High School championships, Pony league, AAU, AAA baseball, AA baseball, Arena football, European football, European NBA, Premier league, MLS, IHL, AHL, plus the State games in most states. Several of those are essentially skill based and not age based divisions. An Intermediate Am title would be a more grueling test than say World Putting, minigolf or Mixed Doubles Champ at Worlds.

Vegan Ray
05-18-2010, 04:53 PM
http://www.hep.uiuc.edu/home/g-gollin/redherring.gif

Kwick
05-18-2010, 05:15 PM
They do it in many other sports with NIKE tour, College Worlds Series, High School championships, Pony league, AAU, AAA baseball, AA baseball, Arena football, European football, European NBA, Premier league, MLS, IHL, AHL, plus the State games in most states. Several of those are essentially skill based and not age based divisions. An Intermediate Am title would be a more grueling test than say World Putting, minigolf or Mixed Doubles Champ at Worlds.

most of those sports are much bigger than disc golf.

Furthermore, high school for example does not have Championships for kids that did not make the team.

There is limited space at the Am Worlds and it always fills. to do a Intermediate would likely require a different week. I would be all for the event. I concede that I will likely never be good enough to compete in the ADV AM worlds (as those guys are borderline pros), but would play in it just for the experience. I'd prefer to play in an INT worlds, as I would be playing with people around my skill level, but either way would have a great experience. I think it would be very beneficial for the PDGA in terms of exposure, membership, etc. to have the INT Worlds, as i'd say there are significantly more INT players than ADV.

Cgkdisc
05-18-2010, 05:26 PM
I expect if something like that happens, it's more likely to be a ratings based championship with no gender or age considered, just ratings ranges (revamped Mid-Nats).

giles
05-18-2010, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=Kwick;354127]There is limited space at the Am Worlds and it always fills.QUOTE]

No, I don't think so, only the advanced grandmasters and other smaller feilds ever fill.

DavidSauls
05-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Personally, I'm already offended with the hundreds of World, United States, Masters, Doubles, and individual state champions in a myriad of divisions we already crown every year.

I'm feeling terribly left out that I don't have one by my name.

DavidSauls
05-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Maybe track will go this way, and there'll be World Champion mile in the average-over-15-minute division. I think I can get in shape to compete for that. Imagine, me a track star!

giles
05-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Personally, I'm already offended with the hundreds of World, United States, Masters, Doubles, and individual state champions in a myriad of divisions we already crown every year.

I'm feeling terribly left out that I don't have one by my name.

Yeah, lol. my wife is a
X2 Women's Am Doulbes World Champion
AM TX State Champion
X2 TX Women's Champion (Int & Adv)

I'm sure she has more "titles" I just can't think of any without lookin at her stats page.

skottyb
05-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Congratulations on being the best worst player in the world! :D jk

sillybizz
05-18-2010, 06:45 PM

Not any worse than being the "advanced grandmasters" world champ. Sorry Paul, I still love you.

adh56
05-18-2010, 06:47 PM
I think it's fair for there only to be age based divisions at Am worlds. Just think of the sandbagging at normal tourneys is and multiply that x10 if they had other divisions.

scarpfish
05-18-2010, 07:08 PM
There is limited space at the Am Worlds and it always fills. to do a Intermediate would likely require a different week.
It would also require a local club with an adequate amount of courses and the will to put on such an event. That being said, I'd bet some clubs would rather put an Intermediate Worlds on than a Pro Worlds any day.

Something that needs to be brought about concerning ANY World's is that the biggest part of the expense isn't the entry fee, but all the ancillary expenses involved. Gas, food, lodging, some bucks spent shopping, or hitting the bars, or at the fly mart. We're talking about a cross country trip and 3-6 overnight stays instead of 50-200 miles and 1-2 nights for your garden variety two dayer. This requires at least a $500 investment for most people (and I'd say a number closer to $1K is more realistic).

There's also the matter of arranging time off from work for the trip, figuring out what the wife and kids are going to do while you're playing. These are the primary reasons that a great number of people who get invites to Worlds don't go.

And generally the lower one goes down the skill division ladder the less they are willing to pay in regards to tournament fees, and money getting to tournaments. Personally, I don't see the practicality in offering a 'World Championship' for people in skill restricted divisions. There's little practicality to it. I think more MA2 and below players would prefer to go play in the real thing anyways. Even though they have no shot of winning or even cashing, they will generally be playing with people of their skill level after the first round, and certainly after the second or third one.

TalbotTrojan
05-18-2010, 07:48 PM
When I am old enough I am going to be the Advanced Senior Legends World Champion. I just have to work on getting old.