PDA

View Full Version : Haier2's bag critique

haier2
05-26-2010, 02:45 AM
Hey everyone.. I've been browsing for a while and thought I'd see what you all thought of my bag. I carry an Innova competition bag when I feel the need to carry a diverse lineup of discs, otherwise I go with the Fade lite.

Here's the lineup.

Drivers-
Champ Teebird (most anything distance wise)
DX Teebird (a bit shorter and straighter than the champ)
Star Valkyrie (long annys/flip hyzers)
Millennium Polaris LS (straight as an arrow, hyzers/annys.. my roc of drivers)

Fairway- (or what I consider fairway)
Champ Leopard (straight line/annys, calm conditions)
Cryztal Stalker (striaght line/hyzers, windy conditions)

Mids-
Q Sentinel MF (drives, skips, if i'm worried about the roc flipping)
KC Pro Roc (holds lines, some drives)
Elite X Comet (long, slow straight line tosses)

Putters-
JK Pro Aviar (drives, upshots)
Pro Rhyno (upshots, approaches, sidearms)
SSS Voodoo (distance/jump putts)
Organic Voodoo (putting in the circle)

Optional..
Star Firebird (windy days)
Pro, Champ Destroyers (if a course has a need for max distance)

I guess some helpful info would be that I went out to an old closed ball golf driving range (a constant, slight downhill) with the distance markers in tact and threw my Destroyers over 620 feet relatively straight and accurate.

My normal game revolves around my Teebirds which I can comfortably toss around 400 given the need.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to bs with my distances I'm a 6'9 285 pound young man! :p

I'm open to any suggestions and critique!

BrotherDave
05-26-2010, 03:07 AM
If you are really getting that kind of D this early in your playing career A) good job you stud you, and B) you should have some fast distance drivers in your bag like Bosses, Nukes, Halos, Destroyers, etc, instead of squeezing all the D out of your TBs.

Also, discs don't really care if you're 6'9" and 285 lbs, all that matters is that you have good form, quick arm speed, and excellent timing, just ask Dave Wiggins, Jr.

haier2
05-27-2010, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the advice! I've considered keeping a Destroyer in the bag full time, and I put one or two in it each time I get out to play a longer course.

My local course is a short distance course and I only need a max of 400'ish to finish the longest hole, so big D drivers are unnecessary for most rounds, though many experienced players do toss fast, beefy drivers.

And I definitely understand the form and technique spectrum when it comes to distance tosses, I'd just hate to come off as bragging about distances I don't feel I could achieve!

BrotherDave
05-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the advice! I've considered keeping a Destroyer in the bag full time, and I put one or two in it each time I get out to play a longer course.

My local course is a short distance course and I only need a max of 400'ish to finish the longest hole, so big D drivers are unnecessary for most rounds, though many experienced players do toss fast, beefy drivers.

And I definitely understand the form and technique spectrum when it comes to distance tosses, I'd just hate to come off as bragging about distances I don't feel I could achieve!

No worries, mate, it's all good in the hood.

Have you experienced the nirvana that is the Discmania PD? It's a longer, just as controllable TB that comes in S, C, and P plastic (Star, Champ, and Pro but better somehow). The S-PD's are quite nice, they may assist you on those 400 footers where your TB's struggle. A SOLF may give your Polaris a run for its money as well.

haier2
05-27-2010, 02:43 AM
I may have to give a PD a try, so you say it is as funtional as my teebird? Or at least in the ballpark of comparison? A faster Teebird gets my interest, no question.

In terms of Discmania I've only tossed a DD and for some reason the majority of my throws with it are plagued by bad release angle and grounded with a nosedive or skyhook.

I have a QOLF I like a lot however I tend to throw it a good bit farther than my Polaris, which is much more like a control or fairway driver in my bag.

Sometimes I think my disc selection is very stubborn, when I use discs like the Stalker as a fairway driver/midrange though it is suggested as a faster disc than my Teebird.

BrotherDave
05-27-2010, 03:47 AM
I may have to give a PD a try, so you say it is as funtional as my teebird? Or at least in the ballpark of comparison? A faster Teebird gets my interest, no question.

In terms of Discmania I've only tossed a DD and for some reason the majority of my throws with it are plagued by bad release angle and grounded with a nosedive or skyhook.

I have a QOLF I like a lot however I tend to throw it a good bit farther than my Polaris, which is much more like a control or fairway driver in my bag.

Sometimes I think my disc selection is very stubborn, when I use discs like the Stalker as a fairway driver/midrange though it is suggested as a faster disc than my Teebird.

Whoops, you're right about the OrionLF being longer than the Polaris, that was a bit of an apples and oranges comparison I made there, my bad. :(

A JLS on the other hand, is also a good line-shaping driver from Millennium. But the Teebird and Polaris make a pretty combo anyway.

I definitely recommend a PD, a C-PD will serve as a great headwind disc (only available as a CFR via discgolfvalues.com currently, but your QOLF will work here), the S-PD is really effortlessly long and straight with dependable Teebird fade, and P-PDs can be beaten in to do just about anything I'd imagine.

The Stalker is falsely ID'ed as too fast. It's really a tick slower than TBs, Eagles, etc. I consider them a long mid, sounds like you do too. :thmbup:

Joe's Universal Flight Chart (http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/pdf/JoesFlightChart1.pdf?osCsid=3a1f76eb11490f35947c99 fae04f25de) is generally a better disc reference guide, then say discgolfcenter.

Cheers.

Lithicon
05-27-2010, 04:40 AM
The only problem is that the Teebird, SOLF, PD are all a lot a like. They'd overlap a lot. You have a decent bag, but some over lap in spots. You could do away with 1-2 and be just as happy. Namely the Leopard and Stalker, you say you see them as longer mids. But, your mids will easily handle these spots.

What do these two disc do that you don't think you can do with either your Teebirds, LS, MF, or Roc?

Other than that I'd say leave the Destroyers in there full time. Then pick one of those three, Teebird, SOLF/QOLF, OR PD. Then take out the Leo and stalker and you're set.

toothyfish
05-27-2010, 09:17 AM
My only comment to the Teebird/OLF/PD overlap is that it is true to some degree, especially the PD and OLF. Both should be a bit longer than the Teebird.

The exception, IMO, is a DX Teebird. The difference is that as it wears in it will lose fade, but remain stable. If you play alot of longer, tighter courses, this one-trick pony can be a life saver. I don't carry Champ Teebirds anymore, though. I use Eagle-Xs and the one DX Teebird in my fairway slot and OLFs for the longer stable drives.

haier2
05-27-2010, 12:46 PM
A JLS on the other hand, is also a good line-shaping driver from Millennium. But the Teebird and Polaris make a pretty combo anyway.

Funny you should mention the JLS. The JLS got me into Millennium, and I absolutely loved mine before this winter when I was throwing a round in freezing temperatures, smacked a tree with it and cracked it straight in half. The Polaris went in my bag as an immediate (but inefficient) replacement. Since then I put the Valk as a JLS' replacement, and bought another JLS that just won't seem to beat in as well.

What do these two disc do that you don't think you can do with either your Teebirds, LS, MF, or Roc?

A valid point. I definitely see what you are saying, and should take that into account. I think the only thing I pull out of these two discs is that I am much better at shorter flick shots and trouble shots with my Leopard than I am with any other disc I own.

The Stalker was recently given out in a players pack for a local tournament so I decided to toss it around a little bit and in the same day hit chains, basket, and rim on different holes with it so I guess I just have a small attachment with it hoping for that next ace. :p It could come out of the bag though, it has no definite spot.

I don't carry Champ Teebirds anymore, though. I use Eagle-Xs and the one DX Teebird in my fairway slot and OLFs for the longer stable drives.
I understand where you say the Eagle-X and Champ Teebird cross. I have four or five eagles and sometimes I'll just be in the mood and toss them instead of Teebirds. I use the Champ Teebird just like I'd use an Eagle-X, as it remains a touch more overstable than any other plastic of a Teebird.

So the consensus opinion would be which, a PD or an OLF? I know my OLF is similar at least to my Champ Teebird, but if this PD is a great disc I might have to give it a toss.

keltik
05-27-2010, 01:23 PM
If you're 6'9" 285 WTF are you doing playing Disc Golf?

the only thing I can say is that you don't need the Leo, Stalker and PLS all in the same bag. Pick one of those three and keep on huckin.

BrotherDave
05-27-2010, 04:45 PM
The only problem is that the Teebird, SOLF, PD are all a lot a like. They'd overlap a lot. You have a decent bag, but some over lap in spots. You could do away with 1-2 and be just as happy.

True dat. But if he FH just as much as he BH, he might prefer to have a mold specifically for that so that he doesn't wear down the discs he BH with. Along that line of thinking, If I were him, I'd get either a S or C PD for FH and P PD to replace the Teebird. Just my 2 cents.

haier2
05-28-2010, 12:39 AM
So tomorrow I'm going to give the QOLF a run in the bag, and take out either the Stalker or Leopard, probably the Stalker.

Depending on my successes with the QOLF I may be making a run to the local shop to pick up a PD. From a $ perspective I sure hope the QOLF makes the cut! :P

atl scott
06-16-2010, 11:24 PM
If you're 6'9" 285 WTF are you doing playing Disc Golf?

Disc golf is what he does between football practices. Don't worry though, we'll have him playing pro disc golf in no time!