PDA

View Full Version : Ready for Sanctioned Night Golf?

Cgkdisc
06-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Check out the story on Night Golf: http://www.pdga.com/leding-indicators

craftsman
06-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Love it! About to play my 2nd glow league round tonight:)

Technohic
06-09-2010, 06:52 AM
For fathers day, I told my fiance maybe we just get some light up discs for all of us to play at night. Think the kids would get a real kick out of it. I have a couple glow discs but they might be more interested in the Blackjax stuff.

WillACarpenter
06-09-2010, 07:28 AM
I have been trying to get in night golf for months now. I work at night so the chances are slim.

\/\/

biscoe
06-09-2010, 08:56 AM
sanctioned night golf? are there no limits to what the pdga will do to make the sport look silly?

Cgkdisc
06-09-2010, 09:08 AM
I'll save this quote for when we're doing night disc golf in the 2026 Winter Olympics.

Vegan Ray
06-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Care to place a wager on that?

Cgkdisc
06-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Might not happen but the goal seems worthwhile and I believe it provides our best chance to get in the Olympics.

Vegan Ray
06-09-2010, 09:18 AM
sanctioned night golf? are there no limits to what the pdga will do to make the sport look silly?
Of course not. 2013 Worlds is going to be hosted by Living Island & TDed by H.R. Pufnstuf. LaGrassa will be riding shotgun to Witchiepoo keeping score, and BG will be carried around in Avery's pocket squealing incessantly. The round ratings system will be unchanged & fit in perfectly.

Vegan Ray
06-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Might not happen but the goal seems worthwhile and I believe it provides our best chance to get in the Olympics.

I'll take that as a "No".
http://smartleah.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/haveana-flipflop-gold.jpg

zenbot
06-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Anybody notice this thrown in there?

(check PDGA Store for LED products shown)

Starting to make sense?

nitegolfer
06-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Woohoo.

Nice pics in the story to explain how to do it.

Good to see them publish a story like this about night golf and supporting it. I wonder if the course ratings would change at night compared to the daytime. That could be a mess.

stsren
06-09-2010, 11:53 AM
I really think I need to add the difficulty of lack-of-depth-perception and not being able to see my target to the game... I'm glad that I have time to play the game during daylight.

Cgkdisc
06-09-2010, 02:39 PM
The limited data we have so far indicates the course doesn't seem to play any tougher in the dark. Maybe players aren't psyched out because they can't see the trees to avoid. But even if the course does play tougher in the dark, it will all be accounted for by the slightly higher SSA that keeps the ratings appropriate.

pdduubb
06-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Why take the fun out of it by making it legit? As it is now we have to ninja in on most courses because they close at dusk.

esdubya
06-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Anybody notice this thrown in there?

Starting to make sense?

I just checked the PDGA store and I don't see any glow products listed right now.

I think glow works great for leagues and casual rounds. I don't see a big need to get glow tournaments sanctioned. We have a couple tournaments per year in Michigan that play the 2nd round glow. The atmosphere is typically more wasted and casual.. Hard to see those foot faults.. Will I be able to buy some glow sneakers from the PDGA?

Cgkdisc
06-09-2010, 04:35 PM
The night products were set up in the PDGA store but not activated. Check back later today and you should see them.

nitegolfer
06-09-2010, 05:11 PM
The limited data we have so far indicates the course doesn't seem to play any tougher in the dark. Maybe players aren't psyched out because they can't see the trees to avoid. But even if the course does play tougher in the dark, it will all be accounted for by the slightly higher SSA that keeps the ratings appropriate.

Cool. I usually throw with my eyes closed anyway!

AequitasVeritas
06-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I play at night regularly. I use the bobber lights in the fishing section and just tape them on the bottom of a bright yellow champion disc. Its awesome!

waynewf
06-09-2010, 05:55 PM
I can't check out your site...I'm just not ready...

volklgirl
06-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Just like the PDGA to horn in on our ninja action. Boo. :thmbdown:

sidewinder22
06-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I'll save this quote for when we're doing night disc golf in the 2026 Winter Beer Olympics.

Fixed.

skurf
06-09-2010, 06:51 PM
One good thing that I can think of is that more manufacturers might start making discs with LEDs built in if the PDGA approves them.

douglat2
06-10-2010, 02:47 AM
better idea; how about televised disc golf on a legitimate network. espn 3 anyone?

JRW III
06-10-2010, 06:30 AM
Most of the guys I play with prefer night disc golf to day disc golf. I hope this leads to better options in equipment for night disc golf. I would like to see a viable solar powered light for the baskets. Also, some more options on discs with built in LED lights would be great (the Black Jax disc don't fly well).

JRW III
06-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Anybody know when the LED lights are going to become available in the PDGA store? If they are not going to be available soon, anyone know where I can get the disc lights that are $2 a light in a pack of 5.

zenbot
06-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Still no night golf product in the PDGA store.

Cgkdisc
06-14-2010, 10:52 AM
I'll check to find out why the delay.

zenbot
06-14-2010, 10:56 AM
I did chance upon some disc lights at a sporting goods store this weekend. They were originally $8 marked down to $2. The strange thing is that the store doesn't even sell golf discs. I bought the only two and realized later that they require that I punch holes in my discs.

El Oso Peligroso
06-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Do the police not bother you guys when you play? Me and a friend tried playing a few weeks ago and had to run off when the police showed up. Plus not being able to see the baskets sucked.

Cgkdisc
06-14-2010, 01:00 PM
In the long run, maybe infrared lights on baskets and discs that can only be seen with infrared goggles...

JRW III
06-14-2010, 01:07 PM
I did chance upon some disc lights at a sporting goods store this weekend. They were originally $8 marked down to $2. The strange thing is that the store doesn't even sell golf discs. I bought the only two and realized later that they require that I punch holes in my discs.

Those are the lights that we use. They work well. They tend to make the disc more understable. We had a sports store that had them on clearance as well. I bought all of the ones from the 4 stores closest to me.

JRW III
06-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Do the police not bother you guys when you play? Me and a friend tried playing a few weeks ago and had to run off when the police showed up. Plus not being able to see the baskets sucked.

I am lucky that my home course, which is half a mile away from me, is private, and we do not have any problems with the police. An added bonus is that alcohol is allowed in the park.

Also, there is a course about 10 miles from me that is located on Church property. They run a weekly mini on Friday nights.

tallpaul
06-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Police have hassled me at night a couple of times over the years. Somewhat depends on just how late you're playing. :) You can't find any time that you can have the course to yourself any more. At my local courses; you now find groups out playing in the dark. Where does it end? :( I think you all should be a home getting your beauty sleep....:)

volklgirl
06-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Do the police not bother you guys when you play? Me and a friend tried playing a few weeks ago and had to run off when the police showed up.
Unless your park has an actual closing time, I'd think the police would just be wondering what you're doing out there at night. We played on Devil's Night and even though the park officially closed at 10 pm (and we were still out there at, like 11:30), they were merely curious about what we were up to. We just chatted them up; they watched us play a couple of holes then cruised off and left us to our own devices. Our home course is used to us being out there at weird hours during the summer...they see the glow sticks and just go on their way.

Plus not being able to see the baskets sucked.
Hang 2-4 glow sticks on each basket and you'll be able to see them just fine. We even leave the glow stick tops tie wrapped right to the basket all year, then we just snap the glow sticks and pop them into the hangers.

tallpaul
06-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Don't encourage them Volkgirl. :) The courses need their rest. :)

hognosesucker
06-14-2010, 11:55 PM
night golf is awesome, I'm not sure about sanctioned night golf though, part of the fun of night golf is beer. Anyway, we have a pretty sweet setup at foundation park in Centralia IL. Just did our 2nd annual relay for life fund raiser glow event. It was a blast. Check out the photos from the 2010 event. http://centraliadiscgolf.com/gallery2/main.php

Pretty much what we do is have a 3V battery and attach the pos/neg sides of an LED to it. Tape this to the disc. It ends up being about a buck. Then we made our own LED basket lights. (Tallpaul has a set of version 1.0. We are now on 2.0 which have 48 LEDs and run on 4 AAs. We get several uses out of 4 AAs. Like I said check out the pics. We raised about $700 for relay for life!