PDA

View Full Version : Wasp stability, without the lip?

Myers
06-15-2010, 02:25 PM
I know Discraft and Innova pretty well, but what I am looking for is a disc that is more stable than a Buzzz but is similar in speed. The Wasp and Super Roc are not comfortable in my hand. I am looking for a disc that has a lip like the buzzz or a Cro but more stable than a Buzzz and faster than a Cro.

Any suggestions welcome, Any Manufacturer.

Thanks

craftsman
06-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Storm. It has a smaller bead iirc.

Mike C
06-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Haven't thrown one so I can't tell you exactly how stable it is, but check this out:

http://www.gatewaydiscsunlimited.com/Gateway-Mid-Range-Drivers-Warrior.html

buzzinb
06-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Check out a Shockwave. While the underside of the rim/lip is not quite as flat as a Buzz or Cro, it is not as pronounced as a Wasp.

Myers
06-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Haven't thrown one so I can't tell you exactly how stable it is, but check this out:

http://www.gatewaydiscsunlimited.com/Gateway-Mid-Range-Drivers-Warrior.html

thank you. this is definitely what i was talking about!

Keep em coming if there are others out there!

Myers
06-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Check out a Shockwave. While the underside of the rim/lip is not quite as flat as a Buzz or Cro, it is not as pronounced as a Wasp.

I have tried a shockwave. I use a fan grip and beaded mids just shred my middle finger. although the shockwave isn't as rough as the wasp that small bead still gets me.

thank you!

acme
06-15-2010, 09:56 PM
What kind of Buzz do you have? I think that there are about 3 dif. buzzes out there..IMO. I think the flat top buzz is the most stable (In z plastic). The more domy, the less stable. I cary 2 Z buzzes and they both fly dif. The flat tops are very flat like a Zone, very noticable and hard to find (at least in Columbus, Ohio).
I just started using the Core from Lat64 as well as the Fuse. There less stable but the glide lets you get more D with less arm. They dont fly like much of any thing ells I've thrown. Fun, fun discs.

keltik
06-15-2010, 11:08 PM
My most stable buzzz is a flat topped ESP. the flat Z's for me are still just dead straight. if you buy another buzzz look for one that has near zero dome (almost a concave top) and try an ESP. what about the Wasp didn't you like. the rim isn't that deep and the bead isn't noticeable. maybe it's just me.

BrotherDave
06-16-2010, 12:28 AM
You're looking for a Discraft Nebula, AKA the 2008 Ace Race disc. Unfortunately, they never put it production. But you can still find them floating around.

NateDiscFlip
06-16-2010, 12:43 AM
I know Discraft and Innova pretty well, but what I am looking for is a disc that is more stable than a Buzzz but is similar in speed. The Wasp and Super Roc are not comfortable in my hand. I am looking for a disc that has a lip like the buzzz or a Cro but more stable than a Buzzz and faster than a Cro.

Any suggestions welcome, Any Manufacturer.

Thanks

messing with Stalker and esp Cyclone(less stable than stalker)....fun stuff...probably rate what your looking for

RHINESEL
06-16-2010, 12:48 AM
Wasp hurt my finger too.

I just use a FLX Drone for my meat hook. If I need a faster overstable disc I just hyzer my ESP Buzzz.

craftsman
06-16-2010, 12:51 AM
You're looking for a Discraft Nebula, AKA the 2008 Ace Race disc. Unfortunately, they never put it production. But you can still find them floating around.

There were some with am nats stamps too.
Hmm...

WillACarpenter
06-16-2010, 08:49 AM
You've got a few options here. I love the wasp myself but if I needed a wasp substitute...i'd go Gateway Warrior.

I also might try an Opto line Core...it's a bit beefier than a BuZzz but it feels almost exactly the same in your hand.

And hopefully soon...there will be the Nebula.

\/\/

Mike C
06-16-2010, 01:21 PM
For those that have thrown a Warrior how does the glide / range and stability compare to a new KC Pro Roc? I like the feel of them and might buy one to compliment my Element. I like how my Rocs fly but they aren't the most comfortable disc for me either.

discflinger
06-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Discraft Nebula is your ansswer.:thmbup:

mambrose
06-16-2010, 03:21 PM
discraft zone? there mad overstable

kyflash
06-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Innova Champion Gator.

BrotherDave
06-16-2010, 03:25 PM
In all honesty, I can saw w/o a doubt that a Nebula will fit you like a glove, maybe a Core depending on the run/plastic.

craftsman
06-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Nebula isn't as fast. Core isn't overstable at all.

WillACarpenter
06-16-2010, 09:17 PM
In all honesty, I can saw w/o a doubt that a Nebula will fit you like a glove, maybe a Core depending on the run/plastic.

What he said.

If you have an element a Warrior is a GREAT compliment to it. The element fills in the straight to understable shots and the warrior plugs up the overstable.

The warrior is, I would say, a bit longer than a wasp, a bit more fade as well. I really like the warrior and I keep a couple around, but I'm very comfortable with the wasp right now.

\/\/

BrotherDave
06-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Nebula isn't as fast. Core isn't overstable at all.

Bullhockey. Nebulas are as fast if not faster than Buzzzes. Tell me how a larger diameter disc is faster than a smaller one? You gonna tell me that Aeros are faster than Darts next?

craftsman
06-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Mrv is slower then the buzzz too. So is the hawk, and so is the neb;)

BrotherDave
06-17-2010, 12:05 AM
That's it. Pistols at dawn.

Lithicon
06-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Heh, I wanna watch.

craftsman
06-17-2010, 02:25 AM
/imagines bd as Yosimitie Sam:)

Lithicon
06-17-2010, 03:17 AM
Ha, short stubby crooked legs, white scruffy beard and all.

wallace
06-17-2010, 03:30 AM
You've got a few options here. I love the wasp myself but if I needed a wasp substitute...i'd go Gateway Warrior.

I also might try an Opto line Core...it's a bit beefier than a BuZzz but it feels almost exactly the same in your hand.

And hopefully soon...there will be the Nebula.

\/\/

In my experience the warrior flies more in between a wasp and a drone. I'm not sure the warrior is longer than the wasp...my warrior flies more overstable but is also faster, so there are some variables there. I think the warrior may feel better in the hand (more like a buzzz) than the wasp as far as the OP is concerned.

WillACarpenter
06-17-2010, 07:24 AM
In my experience the warrior flies more in between a wasp and a drone. I'm not sure the warrior is longer than the wasp...my warrior flies more overstable but is also faster, so there are some variables there. I think the warrior may feel better in the hand (more like a buzzz) than the wasp as far as the OP is concerned.

The stability of the Warrior lets you really put a lot into it and lets it hold the line for quite a while, if throwing for distance I might give the warrior the edge.

I don't NEED a my midrange to really go that far, so it's really a moot point.

\/\/

toothyfish
06-17-2010, 08:36 AM
That's it. Pistols at dawn.

No pistols. Throw the discs. The faster one will hit the other guy first, so not only will you get to have your duel, but we'll have the answer to the question, as well.

FWIW, I just ordered a Q Sentinal, I'll post some thoughts after I get to test it, but it won't be until next week sometime.

simpletwist
06-17-2010, 09:10 AM
This is a good thread for me. I've refined my mids, but I'm lacking something overstable. I got a Wasp last year with my misprint deal. Didn't really use it as it was intended and the funking electric apricot color was distracting so I traded it away. :doh:

I may have to get another one.

What would be the closest equivilent to a Wasp from Innova?

toothyfish
06-17-2010, 09:20 AM

A flat top Roc

Kwick
06-17-2010, 09:40 AM

i'd say a cro

craftsman
06-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Flat top kc pro ranchero roc, though it's not the same IMO. I'm really trying to replace my wasps since I'm mad at dc for only making z.

keltik
06-17-2010, 01:57 PM
/imagines bd as Yosimitie Sam:)

this isn't that big of a stretch since, like me, Bro-D has red facial hair.

as far as an Innova equivalent to a Wasp you have it the other way around. the Wasp was made to compete with the Roc.

and to whomever was in doubt, smaller diameter discs are in general faster than larger diameter discs.

Kwick
06-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Flat top kc pro ranchero roc, though it's not the same IMO. I'm really trying to replace my wasps since I'm mad at dc for only making z.

I have esp wasps. are they no longer in production? if so that is total BS

Myers
06-17-2010, 02:27 PM
So far the Warrior appears to be the best option. I just want it to be as stable or more than a wasp. but not all the way to the Drone stability.

The rim of the Warrior looks as if it will be a good fit for me as well.

I appreciate all the input!

Kwick
06-17-2010, 02:46 PM
checked discraft.com and it says ESP wasp has discontinued. not sure when it happened, but if anyone has any they are looking to trade let me know.

craftsman
06-17-2010, 06:32 PM
this isn't that big of a stretch since, like me, Bro-D has red facial hair.

as far as an Innova equivalent to a Wasp you have it the other way around. the Wasp was made to compete with the Roc.

and to whomever was in doubt, smaller diameter discs are in general faster than larger diameter discs.

Generally speaking, yes. But with that said one could also say lg diam are bad in wind- also untrue of the buzzz.
Do you feel the neb, hawk, or mrv is slower then the buzzz?

craftsman
06-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Kwick, I do but I'm only looking for x or d wasps:(
if you do have some, I'll do two new esp's for 3 x's or 4 d's

BrotherDave
06-18-2010, 12:13 AM
Some of us, including me, think that really overstable mids like Drones are gimmicky to say the least. See: Are overstable mids pointless? (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13546)

The reasoning is that a slow overstable driver (Banshee, Firebird, XXX, Pred, etc) can be easily powered down on and used for these purposes and are less affected by wind. Personally, my Nebulae are as overstable as I need any mid to be in probably 90% of DG situations and carrying a Wasp, Drone, Sanny Q Sent, etc would just be filler. One man's humble opinion.

And yeah, ESP Wasps are OOP now.

And for those keeping score at home, my beard hair is red but my moustache and soulpatch is blonde while my regular hair is what I like to call, "Dusky Copper." So I'm calico Irish.

tstack10
06-18-2010, 01:22 AM
Wasp really oop??

BrotherDave
06-18-2010, 01:31 AM
Wasp really oop??

No, only the Z Wasps are in production currently, AFAIK. So hoard the ESP Wasps while you can.

Mike C
06-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Tried out a Warrior and I think you'd like it. It flew similar to a Roc, just a bit further and more stable. More comfortable too, and the sure grip plastic is great. Going to keep one in my bag.