PDA

View Full Version : [Innova] Ever thrown a Star Aviar Driver?

mcmyers640
11-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Directly...anybody ever thrown a Star Aviar Driver? I've heard that they're just the KC Aviar in Star Plastic. Is this true? I love the KC Pro Aviar but wanted something more durable. Any thoughts?

Apothecary
11-26-2010, 09:29 PM
kcs are a LOT stiffer and are a lot more floaty.

what am i talking about?

buy an ion.:\

mcmyers640
11-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Gotcha. Been hearing great things about that ion. Hard to break my love obsession for Aviars though.

mcmyers640
11-26-2010, 09:31 PM
kcs are a LOT stiffer and are a lot more floaty.

what am i talking about?

buy an ion.:\

Is the stability the same. I know the KC's can be a bit of a bear, but are perfect once broken in. I just don't want them to break apart.

Apothecary
11-26-2010, 09:32 PM
took me 10 years to properly season an aviar.

then i lost it.:doh:

ions are tits right outta tha box.:thmbup:

chain-addicted
11-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Get you a WizardSSS and dont look back.

mcmyers640
11-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Alright, alright. I fear this will turn into a putting persuasion thread. Any challenger lovers out there?

Apothecary
11-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Is the stability the same. I know the KC's can be a bit of a bear, but are perfect once broken in. I just don't want them to break apart.

:D

welcome to a whole new world.

they throw a touch overstable... a lot like a kc or a jk. but snap them and they hold whatever line you put on them until they hit the ground.

ions dont break in. and they dont need to. they fly as-intended from day one. AAAAAND they dont break apart.;)

mcmyers640
11-26-2010, 09:36 PM
:D

welcome to a whole new world.

they throw a touch overstable... a lot like a kc or a jk. but snap them and they hold whatever line you put on them until they hit the ground.

ions dont break in. and they dont need to. they fly as-intended from day one. AAAAAND they dont break apart.;)

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. You must have thrown a lot of putters in your day.

chain-addicted
11-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Alright, alright. I fear this will turn into a putting persuasion thread. Any challenger lovers out there?

I got me a Soft Challenger signed by Cam Todd himself. That thing does wonders when it comes to approaches.:thmbup:

Love me a Soft Challenger.

NateDiscFlip
11-26-2010, 11:15 PM
I have always found the star plastic hard to handle as a putter since they're kind of slick to hold. The disc does fly nice, but a champion KC aviar is the same mold and maybe a little more stable. Both disc molds are very durable.

On the other hand, soft and organic gateway wizards are amazing tacky discs that almost resemble the aviar driver. For softer plastics gateway is #1 in durabilty, since tackier putters seem to break down and loss stability over time.

Go gateway and never look back:thmbup:

hewittdallas
11-27-2010, 01:05 AM

Just got a few Challengers today and tossed them around a bit. I like the first impressions. Has similar flight to the Wizard out of the box. I'll spend some time breaking them in tomorrow over a few rounds and then make a more educated assessment.

snappyfingers
11-27-2010, 01:44 AM
Go gateway and never look back:thmbup:

/Thread

hewittdallas
11-27-2010, 03:45 AM
I have gone Gateway and I am already all the way back! :)

wolito
11-27-2010, 06:11 AM
I got a Star Aviar because I was in love with the Aviars in general. The Star plastic just doesn't feel right in the hand due to the plastic. Definately more overstable then the DX Aviars. Star Aviar is not a good putter either. That is what is so great about a DX Aviar, simple, old school, just no reason to change it up with the Star plastic. Lots of other great putters that can be used for driving instead, like the DX Aviar, Voodoo or Wizard.

Geaver
11-27-2010, 07:59 AM
I lost my first putter that I ever had (a pro rhyno about six years old) beat in perfectly. My favorite disc of all time. Three holes later, my buddy finds an unmarked star aviar. He says that he doesn't want it, so he gives it to me. I threw that thing for two months trying to replace my rhyno (straight 200 ft approach shots). Persistance paid off, and now that disc does what it's told. My number one disc for shots under 250'.

Jay Dub
11-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Stick with what feels best in your hand. Doesn't matter which disc you use, if you can't putt it won't go in.

MDeezy
11-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Star aviars drivers, KC aviars, and JK aviars are all the same mold. Innova claims that the star driver is most over stable of these, followed by the KC, and the JK being the most stable. I find the star driver great for floaters, and the JK great for straight line shots at the basket. The aviar P&A looses the bead, and is understable. I have thrown all of them, and think the JK is the most useful for me.

mcmyers640
11-27-2010, 04:53 PM
I got a Star Aviar because I was in love with the Aviars in general. The Star plastic just doesn't feel right in the hand due to the plastic. Definately more overstable then the DX Aviars. Star Aviar is not a good putter either. That is what is so great about a DX Aviar, simple, old school, just no reason to change it up with the Star plastic. Lots of other great putters that can be used for driving instead, like the DX Aviar, Voodoo or Wizard.

I putted with the Star Aviar P & A for 1.5 years. Totally agree. I switched to the KC and fell in love with the fit and the big bead. My only struggle with the KC is using it as an approach disc for the longer wooded holes. On tight 300' fairways I grab a putter, but I've recently trashed my KC over break this week and need something that flies close to this disc, but in a tougher plastic. Had to pull my Star Aviar back out. On the bright side, I now have a more understable KC Aviar. :hfive: Anyone have a putter they love for the longer, tighter fairways?

MDeezy
11-27-2010, 05:56 PM
I love my Pro Rhyno on tight fairways, but it is fragile so I am always hesitant to fly it. Other plastics in the same mold are so much different - especially putters.

kinfolkfan
11-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Star Aviar Driver, slicker than snot. Good idea... not a great execution. I have found a great deal of love for the Wizards as many people have said.

jparent
11-27-2010, 06:12 PM
I use kc pro aviars which are the same mild as the aviar drivers. I also have a jk pro aviar that I use for my straight shots. I recently bought a sss warlock and love the feel of the plastic, might try a wizard out. But for now, the kc aviars are money.

mcmyers640
11-27-2010, 09:32 PM
I use kc pro aviars which are the same mild as the aviar drivers. I also have a jk pro aviar that I use for my straight shots. I recently bought a sss warlock and love the feel of the plastic, might try a wizard out. But for now, the kc aviars are money.

Completely agree. So happy I switched to the KC. Big Aviar fan and the star aviar p&a holds that straight line for a while. KC's are perfect drivers once they get beat in. Apparently, I've hit too many trees and the disc is starting to turn into my anny disc where I used to have a beat DX aviar for that job. Tempted to just use something in star plastic.

Mr. Plow
11-28-2010, 02:27 AM
If you want something for straight fairway shots isn't a seasoned KC Aviar perfect? :confused:

Driving with a Star Aviar Driver seems to work fine for me, just don't try putting with it. Big bead 11x Champ Aviars can still be found for pretty reasonable too, though the price on those is starting to increase a little as they become more rare.

woodstock
11-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Threw Gateway Voodoo, went back to Aviar.

mcmyers640
11-28-2010, 09:19 AM
If you want something for straight fairway shots isn't a seasoned KC Aviar perfect? :confused:

Driving with a Star Aviar Driver seems to work fine for me, just don't try putting with it. Big bead 11x Champ Aviars can still be found for pretty reasonable too, though the price on those is starting to increase a little as they become more rare.

It most definately is. I play wooded courses in west michigan for the holidays (branstrom, whitehall, etc.) and I hit a good bit of the trees. After this weekend, my KC is perfectly seasoned and it flies perfectly straight. I'm glad i hit those trees...now. I just wanted something I could drive with through the trees and not worry about the disc flight changing much after hitting trees. I thought the same mold in a star plastic might be a better fit for driving through trees. Thanks for the input.

eegor
11-28-2010, 09:56 AM
I use my Vibram putters on wooded courses. I have all three and throw them depending on the desired line. They are the toughest discs on the market, so trees don't matter.

I don't putt with them. I use a Gateway Magic - straight all the time.

yawpstang64
11-28-2010, 03:00 PM
If anyone really wants a Star Aviar Driver, I have a brand new one, yellow w/black stamp, which probably has some ink. Doubt I'll bring myself to throw it, so pm me a trade or offer =D.