PDA

View Full Version : New video - technique critique

Nuke
03-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Okay, so I posted a while back and here's an update. I'm trying to work on something similar to Feldberg's mechanics, as I feel like his release is more similar to my natural release and he seems to get great results using less elbow bend than most. I feel like my biggest problems are throwing against a closed front foot (it's restricting and hurts my knee) and I seem to release the disc with too much hyzer more often than not. Lemme know if you guys see anything else that's obvious. I'm trying currently to find a form and stick to it, work at it until I get it right, even if it sucks to get there.

Wtb2ZEBCeGo

for comparison

O7nwnrYHFHI

jtbingster
03-09-2011, 03:10 PM
It looks like you're scooping too much on your pull-through. Work on starting your pull lower and coming across flat or low to high.

DangeRuss
03-09-2011, 03:10 PM
I had the same problem of changing my form but releasing with too much hyzer. I'm currently working of fixing it and what I've found that helps is focusing on making sure your throwing all your weight forward upon release. You might be throwing low on some throws but it seems to help out the hyzer release.

Nuke
03-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Scooping being having the disc high on the pull back and releasing low?

JoshEpoo
03-09-2011, 03:17 PM
How far were those shots going?

Basically you are focusing on all the wrong stuff right now. You need to work on what's going on with your wrist and your grip. The disc is completely slipping out and you're getting no wrist extension. Your form doesn't matter at all until you develop some snap...other than that you aren't getting any power from the weight shift, your shoulders are rotating wayyy too soon, and you pivot way early as well. Sorry for the harsh analysis but these are the things which you should investigate. I recommend DGR technique stickies...

The shot needs to be more about feel than looks. I can see you're attempting to copy Feldberg's throw but you aren't feldberg. You need to find what works for you. Best of luck!

Smokin' Joe
03-09-2011, 03:20 PM
scooping = shoulder to belly throws. Leads to LOTS of hyzers. Try standing still, like on a midrange shot and reach all the way back, keeping throwing arm level. Pull that lawnmower at the end of it.

Lewis
03-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Basically you are focusing on all the wrong stuff right now. You need to work on what's going on with your wrist and your grip. The disc is completely slipping out and you're getting no wrist extension. Your form doesn't matter at all until you develop some snap...other than that you aren't getting any power from the weight shift, your shoulders are rotating wayyy too soon, and you pivot way early as well. Sorry for the harsh analysis but these are the things which you should investigate. I recommend DGR technique stickies...

The shot needs to be more about feel than looks. I can see you're attempting to copy Feldberg's throw but you aren't feldberg. You need to find what works for you. Best of luck!

At first glance I only noticed the early shoulder action, but when I read Joshepoo's critique and then looked at the video again, I agree with him on all points. Josh, you sound like you could be a coach. :thmbup:

To the OP, it looks like you should adjust your grip to be firmer on release (can't see the root of the problem in this video, of course). With the Feldberg video, compare the timing between his shoulders and his feet vs. the timing between yours.

Nuke
03-09-2011, 03:52 PM
How far were those shots going?

Two of them were garbage, two of them went probably 290-310 ish.

I'd say I'm more focusing on too much stuff more-so than "all the wrong stuff" lol. The two things I pointed out weren't really what I'm focusing on, just what I knew was very bad. As for the grip, wrist, shoulder, snap, pivot, etc, that's exactly what I'm looking for feedback on, so thanks. Don't apologize for harsh, I need harsh.

Not a defense, but something I think worth bringing up. The only reason I've keyed on Feldberg's style is that I've done a fair amount of things to try to get snap and nothing feels right. I've keyed on going from my reach back to the right pec, keeping my elbow up and then 'punching it out' as they say and it just felt funky. The early shoulder swing and more of a lower whipping action was more natural to me. So when I saw Feldberg throw with much less elbow and a release that I felt was more similar to mine, I thought that might be something to try. I agree that I need to find something that's right for me, and the focus should be snap. I'm just not getting it yet I guess haha. Thanks for the feedback and I'll look at the stickies on dgr.

At first glance I only noticed the early shoulder action, but when I read Joshepoo's critique and then looked at the video again, I agree with him on all points. Josh, you sound like you could be a coach. :thmbup:

To the OP, it looks like you should adjust your grip to be firmer on release (can't see the root of the problem in this video, of course). With the Feldberg video, compare the timing between his shoulders and his feet vs. the timing between yours.

Thanks for this, I'll definitely look into that.

DiscChainBasket18
03-09-2011, 04:07 PM
When I first started playing, friends told me: "Dont swing your arm (around in a circle), pull through on a straight line to the target".
During the reach back your arm motion looks slightly circular (your arm curls back around your torso). Try a more pronounced straight arm reach back with the arm moving straight back behind you instead of curling around & then follow through with the throw along that straight line to release. Like sliding a disc along a table top. I made these two pictures to illustrate the idea to a friend:http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk270/jdubent08/misc%20DG/aaStraightpull.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk270/jdubent08/misc%20DG/aaStraightpull_02.jpg

kachtz
03-09-2011, 04:26 PM
honestly its hard for me to tell from this video, everything is in slow motion, so i cant see what kind of timing you have, can you post your throw in real time?

Nuke
03-09-2011, 04:38 PM
honestly its hard for me to tell from this video, everything is in slow motion, so i cant see what kind of timing you have, can you post your throw in real time?

These are both a couple months ago, but in real time.

1lwxyo6qiLU

KVdTQrjq01E

Nuke
03-09-2011, 04:44 PM
When I first started playing, friends told me: "Dont swing your arm (around in a circle), pull through on a straight line to the target".
During the reach back your arm motion looks slightly circular (your arm curls back around your torso). Try a more pronounced straight arm reach back with the arm moving straight back behind you instead of curling around & then follow through with the throw along that straight line to release. Like sliding a disc along a table top. I made these two pictures to illustrate the idea to a friend:

Yeah, this is the main thing I'm trying to key on. My issue comes with how to get there. In theory that makes all the sense in the world, my apparent issues are with how to get the disc traveling in such a straight path.

kachtz
03-09-2011, 04:48 PM
the 2nd real time video, looked fine to me, you could get a lot more power from more hip turn, but otherwise it looked like a smooth throw to me.

sidewinder22
03-09-2011, 04:50 PM
I say boy, classic strong arming. Reverse pivoting, bend your plant knee and get bring your left shoulder through low over the knee. The reverse pivot disconnects your hips from the shoulder, so you basically have to strong arm it. This also stops you from good foot pivot. Your left hip finishes way late and high from the plant leg being straight. On hyzer your left hip should come through level or lower than the right hips.

Pulling way early and little shoulder rotation. You're focusing on the inward pull vs accelerating late. Keep your arm loose on reachback, the shoulders will bring your arm into the chest or power zone from kinetic reaction hips, shoulder, arm. You're arcing/swinging around insteading of pulling straight because you are not getting much shoulder rotation.

Keep your elbow on plane with the shoulders, your elbow is way lower off plane. This will help you get elbow shop or extension and help get the disc into the power zone. You want to get the elbow forward of the shoulders so the disc is close to the right pec for max leverage. The Masterbeato vid aka right pec drill will help with that. Start with the hammer drills, to get the feeling of disc pivot and then the right pec drill. Even Feldy's elbow is on plane with the shoulder, but he gets his shoulders more vertical. I wouldn't recommend trying to copy Feldy's technique either, it works well for him, but very few players have success trying to emulate it.

I highly suggest you watch the snap 2009 vids:
Technique stickies:http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/
oXoWaskHpr8

Nuke
03-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Cool deal, thanks for the feedback. Glad I didn't continue down the Feldberg route.

Nuke
03-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Something like this a good thing to concentrate on?

P_bQatJksuw

sidewinder22
03-09-2011, 07:32 PM
You got it, boy.