PDA

View Full Version : Staying Hydrated on the course

Midnightbiker
03-25-2011, 04:05 PM
I used to only bring sports drinks to the course, and maybe a soda, but after my last visit to my doctor, I realize I have to start drinking more water. I also here people say that water alone is not enough.

What is the best way to stay hydrated on those hot summer days we have coming up. I got dehydrated last year, and I got very sick, so I don't want that to happen again. Thanks.

Chiefstang
03-25-2011, 04:13 PM
I used to only bring sports drinks to the course, and maybe a soda, but after my last visit to my doctor, I realize I have to start drinking more water. I also here people say that water alone is not enough.

What is the best way to stay hydrated on those hot summer days we have coming up. I got dehydrated last year, and I got very sick, so I don't want that to happen again. Thanks.

I bring a six-pack of tallboys. That way, I'm not dehydrated until the next day!

Seriously: If you get dehydrated, try Pedialyte. It's for sick children, but is essentially Gatoraide on steroids.

When I was in the military, I picked up a habit that sticks with me to this day... Watch your pee. If it's not clear, you're not hydrated.

Good luck old man!;)

sillybizz
03-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Gatorade/Powerade combined with water, lots of it. Pickle juice is really good for keeping hydrated and keeping sodium and electrolytes in your body but it's gross. :)

Dudelsacker
03-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Water alone should be just fine, but you need to make sure you're drinking enough of it. My personal recommendation is to drink plenty of water before you get out on the course.

I like to play my rounds in the evening at about 5pm, right after I get off of work. I don't know about everybody else, but my work environment (a lame office building) has very dry air, so I try to stay ahead of that by drinking water during the day at work. I would estimate that I drink about a half gallon of water (about 64 oz.) a day at the office, most of that being in the afternoon. This takes care of the 8 glasses of water you're supposed to drink every day anyway.

Before I leave the office, I fill up two Sigg water bottles (totalling about another 40 oz.) and bring them on course. I rarely finish them without giving water to friends as well, but it's good to have water just in case.

Think of it like you're fueling your body with water for the day, and whatever you bring onto the course is just a reserve tank to make sure you have what you need, and keep your mouth from drying out.

Technohic
03-25-2011, 04:18 PM
I bet a lot of disc golfers are not hydrated efficiently to begin with, then alone once they get on the course.

Drink lots of water and not just when you're all hot and thirsty. Like Chief said, keep your pee clear. Also, use some sun block, get in the shade when you can, don't cook yourself.

Dudelsacker
03-25-2011, 04:20 PM
When I was in the military, I picked up a habit that sticks with me to this day... Watch your pee. If it's not clear, you're not hydrated.

My dad taught me this when I was a little kid, and I've always remembered it as a nifty tool. It also shows me I almost never drink enough water if I am not actually thinking about it.

Pickle juice is really good for keeping hydrated and keeping sodium and electrolytes in your body but it's gross. :)

This is also a handy tip, but I just can't do it because I think it's nasty... and I love pickles.

j0atz
03-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Water alone will keep you hydrated. Lots of it. Summer time here I usually carry around a gallon of iced water per round. The rest of the year a small bottle is good enough for me.

DSmith
03-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Drink your pee, but only if its clear.

Dudelsacker
03-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Drink your pee, but only if its clear.

I found you Bear Grylls

http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/5995015/Im-like-a-recycling-bin-The-piss-comes-out-then-back-in-then-back-out.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=bear-grylls

blackandwhite
03-25-2011, 04:25 PM
http://files.sharenator.com/RULE_DRINK_OWN_PISS_1_Bear_grylls_Meme-s324x360-137137-580.jpg
DAMN i knew it was taking too long..stupid work filters

Technohic
03-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Isnt that snow I see behind that guy? Man must favor the taste of his own piss over snow.

Dudelsacker
03-25-2011, 04:32 PM
I don't think Bear Grylls drinks anything other than his own urine. urine goes goes in, urine comes out... You can't explain that.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/3/16/4933f601-70c1-4939-bcff-de6724776ec5.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SaAwcHc3plo/TV8d9jGFhWI/AAAAAAAAObo/tBJRO8jd9eM/s400/bear_grylls_updated+biotv.jpg

BENFTS
03-25-2011, 04:38 PM

E Water, It's what Marines call Gatorade. You put 1 teaspoons of table salt per liter of water. you can drink up to 14L a day without getting hypernutrimia this will allow you to drink up to 18L of water a day and will decrease the time it takes to absorb into your body.

Chiefstang
03-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Another military story:

We had one guy in our basic training company that was from Africa... Like "right out of the bush" Africa. Spoke very little English.

After a particularly muddy obstacle course, we were standing around when the guy whips it out and starts washing the mud off his hands with his own urine!

Everybody freaked out, but he looked at us like we were crazy!

Technohic
03-25-2011, 04:46 PM
c'mon! He was just looking for an excuse to whip it out. Show everyone how ashamed they needed to be.

I8URZ28
03-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Some golfers on the PGA tour eat electrolyte tablets and drink water. They are usually playing 5-6 hour rounds and this seems to do the job pretty well.

DGtourist
03-25-2011, 04:56 PM
One thing they always say in running is that if you feel thirsty, it’s too late. You have to drink early and often especially in that brutal Texas heat and humidity.

sloppydisc
03-25-2011, 04:59 PM
I do a decent amount of road biking in the mid-day summer heat here in NC. The best way I've found to stay hydrated is to drink plenty of water all the time. Not just when you are out playing. And when I ride for any distance in the heat I carry one bottle of water that I froze the night before. I also carry a bottle of Heed, which is an endurance athlete drink used to replenish your electrolytes. Basically better Gatorade IMO. I drink the Heed at the start, and the water is thawed enough to drink when I am ready for it. For DG I drink something on the way to play in the summer, and I usually carry a small cooler in my truck with extra waters for multiple rounds or really hot days.

Unless I'm playing with the guys from Gastonia or Bessemer City. They make me drink beer!

Thumber
03-25-2011, 05:09 PM
I carry one liter bottle of water and one liter bottle of recovery drink. I got into recovery drink while doing p90x. It really helps to keep the electrolyte levels right. Plus you have to drink lots of water before you go play

blackandwhite
03-25-2011, 05:10 PM
One thing they always say in running is that if you feel thirsty, itís too late. You have to drink early and often especially in that brutal Texas heat and humidity.

texas humidity? come on up to the midwest, more specifically Chicago (the place to experience all 4 seasons in 1 day) and then talk about 80% humidity on an 85 degree day

joshman1204
03-25-2011, 05:25 PM
80% on an 85 degree day is considered a cold front in texas. Last year we had many days that were 105+ and over 90% humidity. You walk outside and you literally feel like you cant breathe.

DGtourist
03-25-2011, 05:30 PM
80% on an 85 degree day is considered a cold front in texas. Last year we had many days that were 105+ and over 90% humidity. You walk outside and you literally feel like you cant breathe.

Play nine holes in it and feel like you've been rung out like a washcloth. Almost need to take an IV to stay hydrated.

blackandwhite
03-25-2011, 05:35 PM

and these are the same places that have to close down the roads when there is 4''+ of snow

DGtourist
03-25-2011, 05:37 PM
and these are the same places that have to close down the roads when there is 4''+ of snow

neat.

but which one is harder to stay hydrated in? I found it hard in the Wyoming wind myself. But that Texas humidity was so brutal that I'd get migraines.

creeper78
03-25-2011, 05:46 PM
I was getting ready to ask where it is in texas that only gets to 80% and 85 degrees......maybe at Christmas.

Easy Tigur
03-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm a distance runner, and hydration is important. I follow the clear pee rule of thumb all the time. You also can't just chug 32 oz. and expect to stay hydrated, you'll lose all of it next bathroom break.

The night before a race, I normally drink a Nalgene (32 oz) or two, then more on race days. DG isn't nearly as intense, so maybe tone it down a little.

Dump Truck
03-25-2011, 06:18 PM
I found that during the heat of summer I should drink a little water at every tee box... I tend to go through close to 2 ltrs a round

JamesXC
03-25-2011, 06:45 PM
I have been an endurance athlete for most of my life, and I would say that they key is to drink early and often. It doesn't really even matter what you are drinking (though things like Beer or Pop are not ideal), just that you are. Taking a few swallows out of the water bottle every other hole is usually a pretty good rule of thumb. You don't want to just inhale the entire bottle when you start to get thirsty.

And the worst place I have ever been for dehydration is when it is 90+ degrees with a bit of wind at 5000+ ft of elevation and 0% humidity. You just sweat all of your fluids out, but you don't notice because it evaporates so fast. You dry out really fast.

Easy Tigur
03-25-2011, 06:49 PM
JamesXC... as in an xc runner? what distances do you do?

Smigles
03-25-2011, 06:53 PM

Sorry for this offtopic nitpick, but arent you as american kind of a native english speaker ? How on earth does this happen to you ?

I see this again and again, same with the you are / your mistake. What is going on there ?

On topic : water ( mainly ) and a isotonic drink for emergencies. Stay away frrm fruit juices, sodas, anything with too much sugar like coffee ( if you like it sweet ) and of course alcohol. As others have mentioned, it is most important that you drink often, start drinking early, and then drink more. You should at least empty a 1.5 liter bottle of water per 18 holes round ( 2 hours ).

creeper78
03-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Sorry for this offtopic nitpick, but arent you as american kind of a native english speaker ? How on earth does this happen to you ?

I see this again and again, same with the you are / your mistake. What is going on there ?

On topic : water ( mainly ) and a isotonic drink for emergencies. Stay away frrm fruit juices, sodas, anything with too much sugar like coffee ( if you like it sweet ) and of course alcohol. As others have mentioned, it is most important that you drink often, start drinking early, and then drink more. You should at least empty a 1.5 liter bottle of water per 18 holes round ( 2 hours ).

There/Their/They're is a big one too. I live here in the great USA and it irks me to no end.

prerube
03-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Isnt that snow I see behind that guy? Man must favor the taste of his own piss over snow.

drinking snow lowers your body temp and puts you at risk for hypothermia.
Pee is 80-90 by the time you drink it, so it is warm. Neither is smart, but he drinks water by ringing out elephant crap over his mouth.

Ace D
03-25-2011, 07:45 PM
i try to drink a gatorade or water per 18 hole round, and keep a glass of water always around when i'm home to keep hydrated. i don't count a soda as hydration even though i usually have one of those too.

prerube
03-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Soda is good for post game to quickly raise your sugar levels. But Chocolate milk has as much sugar and more protein so it is far better, however you can not carry chocolate milk on a tourney unless you want chocolate cottage cheese by the end of the day.

chiroflyer
03-25-2011, 07:48 PM
It's more than 8 glasses of water for most people. You should drink AT LEAST half of your body weight in ounces every day. And again, watch your pee, it should always be clear and copious.

mashnut
03-25-2011, 07:59 PM
One thing they always say in running is that if you feel thirsty, itís too late. You have to drink early and often especially in that brutal Texas heat and humidity.

I've done a ton of backpacking, and that's the rule I've always taught when I take new people. If you're thirsty, you waited too long to drink. Small drinks constantly is the best way to go rather than chugging down huge amounts every once in a while.

prerube
03-25-2011, 08:08 PM
drinking massive amounts of water can hurt also (if not suplimented with salt and potassium). I have over done it and basically flushed out my electrolytes. Electrolyte depletion is painful, your muscles spasm into random shapes that your muscles should not make. However not drinking can lead to dehydration AND electrolyte depletion. I have been in the hospital twice with both.

DGtourist
03-25-2011, 08:11 PM
I've done a ton of backpacking, and that's the rule I've always taught when I take new people. If you're thirsty, you waited too long to drink. Small drinks constantly is the best way to go rather than chugging down huge amounts every once in a while.

Just curious, where does a dude living in Chicago go to do his backpacking? I like the clear pee rule too.

mashnut
03-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Just curious, where does a dude living in Chicago go to do his backpacking? I like the clear pee rule too.

I grew up in SoCal, so I've done a lot of backpacking around California especially in the Sierras, along with several trips to Utah and New Mexico. The only midwest backpacking I've done is further south in Illinois.

cjskier
03-25-2011, 08:21 PM
How long are you guys playing for? Maybe if I was playing all day I would be concerned about it. But otherwise I never even think about it. However I carry a one liter aluminum water bottle everywhere I go in the summer.

I highly recommend NOT reusing plastic bottles or using nalgene type bottles at all. That plastic is bad stuff, its proven.

prerube
03-25-2011, 08:23 PM
How long are you guys playing for? Maybe if I was playing all day I would be concerned about it. But otherwise I never even think about it. However I carry a one liter aluminum water bottle everywhere I go in the summer.

I highly recommend NOT reusing plastic bottles or using nalgene type bottles at all. That plastic is bad stuff, its proven.

oh, sorry my incidents happened when I was doing long distance running for a grade or while representing my company.

discmeister
03-25-2011, 08:23 PM
You have to be hydrated before you head out and keep drinking during the round. Afterwards a couple of cold nutritious beers take care of the rest. No light stuff either; I've had enough water by then.

lokirising
03-25-2011, 08:27 PM
I stick to Gatorade.

lokirising
03-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Alcohol will dehydrate you.

S.Cann
03-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Is it just me, or did anyone else get really thirsty just from reading this?

Mr. America
03-25-2011, 08:54 PM
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

mashnut
03-25-2011, 09:00 PM

Most times when I get out to play I play at least 36 holes, and in the summer I'm often playing 80+ holes. If I just go out for a round or two in the evening I don't worry nearly as much about it since I'm pretty careful to drink water all day, it's just those long days of discing where I get in trouble if I'm not conscious of hyration.

I thought that a lot of the research was trending toward BPAs being mostly dangerous around very young children and possibly expectant/nursing mothers, and much less of an issue for healthy adults.

S.Cann
03-25-2011, 09:08 PM
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Yes! Seinfeld reference.

Dthunderchicken
03-25-2011, 09:13 PM
I work outside and used to drink quite a bit of Gatorade. According to my doc I should limit it to one quart a day spaced out over the entire day. The rest of my drinking should be water. (I often add lime juice.) If it's real hot, I'll also take aspirin before the work day starts and maybe at lunch. It keeps your blood thin and you'll feel cooler because of it. I carry a three gallon cooler and will have to refill it every two days in the summer. Also from my doc, if during the summer you're not peeing a few times a day, your not drinking enough.

chain-addicted
03-25-2011, 09:17 PM
I carry in my bag a 1 liter glass bottle of Gerolsteiner mineral water. It's delicioso.

vonDrehle
03-25-2011, 10:26 PM
I like to keep 2 Nalgene bottles (32oz) of water with me on the course. I normally don't have any problems becoming dehydrated on the course, and I'm a big guy, because I am drinking throughout the day. I probably drink at least 6 Nalgenes bottles worth of water a day. When I am home I normally put in one of those Crystal light packets.

I haven't tried it out with disc golf but before I workout I drink a Gatorade Prime and can notice a considerable difference in my endurance on the days that I forget to grab one before hand. Doesn't really help with hydration but should help energy levels.

cjskier
03-25-2011, 10:42 PM
That a lot of disc! Hydration would be important for that long of a time. Better hope the course has water eh?

I hate how most courses in California usually dont have drinkable water near by.

mashnut
03-25-2011, 10:52 PM
I carry two nalgenes in the bag, and a big couple gallon jug of ice water in the car for refills.

basketcase15
03-25-2011, 11:02 PM
Liz will tell you how :p

aX6951yrkxY

LakeBodom397
03-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Deuces for Deuces.

billyberu
03-26-2011, 12:30 AM
I have been an endurance athlete for most of my life, and I would say that they key is to drink early and often. It doesn't really even matter what you are drinking (though things like Beer or Pop are not ideal), just that you are. Taking a few swallows out of the water bottle every other hole is usually a pretty good rule of thumb. You don't want to just inhale the entire bottle when you start to get thirsty.

And the worst place I have ever been for dehydration is when it is 90+ degrees with a bit of wind at 5000+ ft of elevation and 0% humidity. You just sweat all of your fluids out, but you don't notice because it evaporates so fast. You dry out really fast.

^^^^^ Live in Texas (and NC and SC and MS) played in CO. and elevation + sun can be way worse than humidity and heat.... Not to take anything away from the great noble tradition of southern heat; if I may have it both ways.

softball29
03-26-2011, 12:40 AM
I stick with water for the most part and usually drink about 40 ounces per 18. Unfortunately, sometimes I wait too long and end up chugging more than I should. One of my goals this summer is to start hydrating better with everything I do (hike, bike, disc golf, softball...).

I like having some of the Gatorade G series drinks in the car for after a round to help refill electrolytes and all that. But during a round, it's all water. Trying to decide on a new bag for this year with the idea of being able to comfortably carry a 27-ounce and a 40-ounce Klean Kanteen with my discs and such.

REDARMY
03-26-2011, 01:37 PM

then you wouldn't mind providing a source for this info would you?

jtbingster
03-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Liz will tell you how :p

aX6951yrkxY

That's because she's a cutie... :D

S.Cann
03-26-2011, 05:11 PM
then you wouldn't mind providing a source for this info would you?

The older nalgenes were bad for you... The newer ones don't have the recycle code 7 which apparently caused cancer.

silverbullet
03-26-2011, 06:56 PM
lol im still using two of the old nalgene bottles....they have the recycling sign with the 7 in the middle . i would like to see a link for some information on this one

Johnnyfats
03-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Surprised I read through all of these pages and not one mention of coconut water. They have way more electrolytes than sports drinks and a ton of potassium naturally. Make sure you get the one's that are all natural and without added sugars. I prefer c2o (http://www.c2o-cocowater.com/#/fun-facts/), Vita Coco (http://vitacoco.com/) and O.N.E. (http://www.onedrinks.com/one-healthy-drinks/coconut-water/nutrition/)

mk.ultra
03-26-2011, 08:28 PM

Nothing can hydrate you better than water, except maybe water with electrolytes such as coconut water...

Edit: Lol I guess I'm late on the coco water.

mk.ultra
03-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Surprised I read through all of these pages and not one mention of coconut water. They have way more electrolytes than sports drinks and a ton of potassium naturally. Make sure you get the one's that are all natural and without added sugars. I prefer c2o (http://www.c2o-cocowater.com/#/fun-facts/), Vita Coco (http://vitacoco.com/) and O.N.E. (http://www.onedrinks.com/one-healthy-drinks/coconut-water/nutrition/)

Definitely agree :thmbup:. We sell this at my work, it is amazingly refreshing.

Fishy
03-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Seriously: If you get dehydrated, try Pedialyte. It's for sick children, but is essentially Gatoraide on steroids.

Best advice I've read, have a buddy who trains MMA fighters, and for 2-3 days before a fight they don't drink or eat anything to get to "weight" then they hit the pedialyte first, and mass quantities of it.. they weigh in @165 but they really fight the next day @ 175+

it's kinda pricey, so it's not economical, but they make a gatorade in a packet, I have a few in my bag, add it to water and it adds electrolytes and rehydrates you, cheaper than sports drinks, and better than normal water.

REDARMY
03-26-2011, 09:51 PM
The older nalgenes were bad for you... The newer ones don't have the recycle code 7 which apparently caused cancer.

great. have a source for that info?

/my bottle does have a 7 in the recycle symbol, but i'm still inclined to believe that the "bad plastic" info comes from someone who works for the municipal water board or a Brita salesman.

Cnote
03-27-2011, 03:53 AM
Coconut water is great. There is also the Smart Water option, it is just plain water with added electrolytes & minerals. Gatoraide has too much sugar.

DGtourist
03-27-2011, 04:40 AM
great. have a source for that info?

/my bottle does have a 7 in the recycle symbol, but i'm still inclined to believe that the "bad plastic" info comes from someone who works for the municipal water board or a Brita salesman.

Here let me google that for you. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Are+the+older+nalgene+bottles+really+bad+for+yo u%3F)

:)

AirMcNair
03-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Coconut water is great. There is also the Smart Water option, it is just plain water with added electrolytes & minerals. Gatoraide has too much sugar.

Ya Smart water is a great option. You don't get the sugar from the Gatoraide but you get the electrolytes you need.

Fishy
03-27-2011, 07:49 AM
the small packets aren't chock full of sugars, I'm sure there is some, but I get the "lite" kind, use them for backpacking where every ounce of weight counts.. I have never seen coconut water, will have to look it up. my girlfriend swears by smart water and if I lived someplace with crappy tasting tap water I'd go with that.

DJ Troll
03-27-2011, 08:13 AM
It gets pretty fricking hot here in TX so, I take a liter of water and freeze it the day before playing. It thaws on the course and I have COLD water the whole round.

Jay Dub
03-27-2011, 08:29 AM
Do not drink ice tea before playing, that does the opposite of what Gatorade does.
Drink Gatorade before rounds and in between rounds, and water while playing. Also be sure to drink plenty of water the night before.

Burritotoes
03-27-2011, 09:58 AM
I usually bring a quart of G2 (lower sugar gatorade) and a quart of water on the course. On especially hot days I'll also chug a quart of water on the way to the course.

slimshadyemb
03-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Yes, you MUST drink a good amount of water before. More sure you also drink LOTS during the round. Fill up bottles where you can (hopefully NOT with your own pee). I carry a 40 something oz bottle with water and a 32 oz gatorade to the course. You must also drink lots of water after!!! I like to get the gatorade or powerade powder packets. You can get a box of 8 for like, $3 at the grocery store. If you drink ONLY water you can run into some issues, so I like the packets to get the sodium/sugar/electrolytes missing in straight water

IcebergSlimD
03-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Can't believe no one has done this yet.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u220/icebergslimd/brawndo01.gif

DGtourist
03-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Can't believe no one has done this yet.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u220/icebergslimd/brawndo01.gif

Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes.

Midnightbiker
03-27-2011, 11:16 PM
I just bought a 1 liter of bottle that I am taking to the course with me, along with some smaller bottles and I am keeping Gatorade in the car.

SirRaph
03-28-2011, 08:00 AM
When it get's REALLY hot in July and August, I carry a Nalgene of Gatorade and another of ice water. Drink the Gatorade and pour that ice water on my head every few holes. And yes, I've grabbed the wrong bottle before.

billnchristy
03-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Gatorade/Powerade makes me sick when its super hot and when it gets hot you can really feel the vegetable oil in it (look at the ingredients).

I drink 1 energy drink in the morning and the rest of the day its water so I have nothing against water, if you stay hydrated throughout normal life you just have to do maintenance when you are on the course...plain and simple.

medicinalfunk
03-28-2011, 08:28 AM
i drink water on the course to stay hydrated. it's a complicated process, but i make it work

billnchristy
03-28-2011, 08:31 AM
i drink water on the course to stay hydrated. it's a complicated process, but i make it work

I bet you pee when your bladder is full too?

This guy is a machine people! :p

SirRaph
03-28-2011, 08:54 AM
But, where is it that you're finding this "water"?

medicinalfunk
03-28-2011, 08:57 AM
i buy it as a powder at the local GMC. you just need to add a little bit of tap water from the faucet you've filtered through a brita pitcher and kept cold in your fridge

billnchristy
03-28-2011, 08:59 AM
General Motors Company sells water powder now?

medicinalfunk
03-28-2011, 09:29 AM
oops, i missed the N key

billnchristy
03-28-2011, 09:32 AM
It's just as reasonable really...

AJ_86
03-28-2011, 10:20 AM
I have a cart, so... enough water for two and a half rounds, plus two sodas.

If you have a cooler, there is no excuse for being dehydrated.

billnchristy
03-28-2011, 10:35 AM
If you care about yourself there is no excuse for being dehydrated!

zenbot
03-28-2011, 10:37 AM
http://www.thedrinkshop.com/images/products/main/1257/1257.jpg

HybridZombiw
03-28-2011, 10:44 AM
I have been experimenting on different means of hydrating while on the course. One method which is still in my own testing phase is trying out different hydration packs on the course. Currently I find a 24 oz + 16 oz bottle would fair decently so far. Grant i live in Nv and are also testing out a 70 oz hydration pack + disc pack and eventually this
http://www.benmeadows.com/CAMELBAK-Pakteen-Hydration-Pack_s_127142/Hydration-Packs-Heat-Stress_31223757/?isredirect=true

The pakteen would be used for a bigger bag with quad shocks (Bigger then the innova standard) and possibly fit in a side compartment with a notch cut for the hose to come out freely and to follow the straps somehow.

Look in the post your bag thread for my current pack and notice the camelbak useage. This is just an idea that i think might be helpful for whoever chooses to do such a thing. To me this feels more efficient then just a few bulky bottles on the course. Try it out and experiment with this idea to stay nicely hydrated