PDA

View Full Version : Is this Another

S.Cann
05-24-2011, 07:00 PM
"Is this an Ace?" thread? Sadly, it is, but this one is legitimate.

I have a friend who I DG with a lot. Well, he is one of those people who is very hardcore about Aces. He says that it has to be first shot off the tee (which I agree with), however, it has to be in a full round in his opinion. Well, one of the courses we frequently play has 9 baskets and 18 tees. After you play #18 you have to cross back over Tee#1 and the corresponding basket to get to the parking lot, so we'll frequently play Tee #1 as we're walking back to the parking lot. The other day, just as it was getting dark, he shoots his shot on 1 after his round of 18 and, wouldn't you know it, he aced it. He then decides that he has to play through every tee in order for this ace to count. He went through and just threw each shot without putting a whole lot into it just so it would count.

SO, my argument is that it was his first throw off the tee and it was done in order (he threw #1 after #18) and he could have put a "1" on the scorecard even if the round wasn't finished.

What does everyone think? Ace or no ace if he hadn't finished the round?

drickanderson
05-24-2011, 07:05 PM
I actually agree with him. If it isn't in a round of play, then it could just be any old random throw, right?

Lost in the Brambles
05-24-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm a stickler about aces, but I've learned to let people do what they want when it comes to what is or isn't an ace. If they have to run through the round to feel good about it so be it. Eventually does it really matter? I trade aces for some consistency in my rounds.

vonDrehle
05-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Oh boy one of these :D.

Think if it as if your round was called short because it was getting short and you skipped to hole 18 from say 13 and aced it. Would you not still count it as an ace even though you didn't play all 18 holes. In his case I would just say I played 19 holes that day.

I'm also in the if it's your first shot and it goes in then it's an ace. Otherwise it's just a good shot and high fives all around. I like to think of it as when ever I put my disc 40ft from the basket. My first putt barely missed so I take a second putt just to try it out and make it. I don't count that as a birdie if it goes in because it wasn't my disc in play.

I feel it really doesn't matter though since there are no awards for getting so many aces so it just comes down to how many aces you believe you have. How others feel is how they determine there aces.

scarpfish
05-24-2011, 07:12 PM
I say that you don't have to complete the round. The whole point of the "during the round" argument is that a player doesn't try to intentionally procure a situation to make an ace more likely. In other words, you can't just play the course's baby hole 18 times and call it a round. Your friend didn't do any such thing, so he could've aced Hole #1 and walked away.

In the end though, my full answer is the same as its always been. Who cares. Nobody is granted disc golf knighthood because they hit their first throw with a tee pad under their feet. My longest shot put into the chains is a 205' birdie that followed a crappy tee shot. It felt more rewarding than any of my three aces.

S.Cann
05-24-2011, 07:14 PM
My thought is that you don't have to finish a round for it to be an ace. You could pull up to a DG course, ace hole #1, keep playing, but then you get bit by a snake after hole 5 and have to go to the hospital. Is your ace on hole #1 not legitimate if you technically didn't finish that round?

prerube
05-24-2011, 07:17 PM
If it was his first throw from the tee pad it is an ace.
If I go to a course and throw an ace on hole 2, but it starts pouring and lightning strikes the basket while I am on hole 9, I am going to haul butt to my car and count the ace, even though I did not finish my round.

peabody
05-24-2011, 07:21 PM
go back and finish the round then there ain't no question!

LeewayeDiscGolf
05-24-2011, 07:28 PM
I don't think you have to finish a full round. However, after an Ace you do feel like playing for the rest of that day, so it's understandable. I apparently should just be done after an Ace. Both times I finished at 0 only because my Ace saved me. I shoot lower scores without them.

Scirocco
05-24-2011, 07:36 PM
I say that you don't have to complete the round. The whole point of the "during the round" argument is that a player doesn't try to intentionally procure a situation to make an ace more likely. In other words, you can't just play the course's baby hole 18 times and call it a round. Your friend didn't do any such thing, so he could've aced Hole #1 and walked away.

In the end though, my full answer is the same as its always been. Who cares. Nobody is granted disc golf knighthood because they hit their first throw with a tee pad under their feet. My longest shot put into the chains is a 205' birdie that followed a crappy tee shot. It felt more rewarding than any of my three aces.

I agree. If the guy sticks it on his first tee throw, he got an ace.

*Sports his best Malkovich x Russian card shark voice*

Pee-yay him. Pee-yay this man his moany.

LakeBodom397
05-24-2011, 07:46 PM
I Say Ace.

Frank-Flyer
05-24-2011, 08:01 PM
If it was his first throw from the tee pad it is an ace.
If I go to a course and throw an ace on hole 2, but it starts pouring and lightning strikes the basket while I am on hole 9, I am going to haul butt to my car and count the ace, even though I did not finish my round.

:hfive:yeah for safety

jongoff09
05-24-2011, 08:03 PM
He may be thinking of the ball golf rule for hole-in-one. The USGA in ball golf says that a hole-in-one is valid if made during a round of at least 9 holes. I have heard of a player that had to come back the next day to finish the round because of fading light. I would also think the same would go for rounds that had to be stopped for lightning or something similar.

For disc golf, I wouldn't make someone go by that rule, but if it were me, I would come back the next morning to finish the round.

chickenonabun
05-24-2011, 08:51 PM
He definatley pulled the old aceruni.

compn
05-24-2011, 09:08 PM
sounds like he ace'd hole 19 to me.

then he spent another hour playing with himself. ba dum ching!

austin234
05-24-2011, 09:21 PM
i say if its your first throw and youre trying to make it in the basket its an ace. doesnt matter if you play 1 hole or 100. a hole in 1 is a hole in 1

ScottieZen
05-24-2011, 09:39 PM
ACE. if i drive to a course, throw an ace on hole 1. im packing up and going home and celebrating. its an ace yo

Emoney
05-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Its an ace but i aint payin if it doesnt count towards ur round

RUSSELL
05-24-2011, 09:44 PM
sounds like he ace'd hole 19 to me.

then he spent another hour playing with himself. ba dum ching!

:hfive:

perhaps from now on you guys will just play that course as 19 holes

ORdg86
05-24-2011, 10:34 PM
You all have it all wrong.

An ace only counts if its the first throw from the tee, and if its the first time you've ever thrown that hole. EVER..........JK

Rip Van
05-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Of course you should finish the round. You got an ace on #1, you've got 17 shots at a double-ace round!!!

DangeRuss
05-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Aces don't exist. It's all in your head. ;)

Chucktown
05-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Oh man does that mean that my two aces in ball golf don't count cause I only play 9 holes, lol. An ace is an ace whether you hit it on a practice basket or on a practice throw.

TxDiscGolfBoy
05-25-2011, 02:57 AM
Nope. Is not. Does not count. Call it a lucky shot that went in the basket. Not an ace.

It was an .........."intentional lets-get-back-to-the-car" shot.

Playing the other 17 Holes "just to call it" an ace, is proof that this was...in essence...a "Cubby."

Sorry.

TxDiscGolfBoy
05-25-2011, 03:00 AM
i say if its your first throw and youre trying to make it in the basket its an ace. doesnt matter if you play 1 hole or 100. a hole in 1 is a hole in 1

Exactly.....a "hole(-out) in one" shot. Not an Ace. There's a difference ya know.

Frank-Flyer
05-25-2011, 03:03 AM
Nope. Is not. Does not count. Call it a lucky shot that went in the basket. Not an ace.

It was an .........."intentional lets-get-back-to-the-car" shot.

Playing the other 17 Holes "just to call it" an ace, is proof that this was...in essence...a "Cubby."

Sorry.

huh?? whats the definition of a CUBBY/?

TxDiscGolfBoy
05-25-2011, 03:11 AM
"Cubby Ace"

Youtube it.

There's this guy that puts a camera down by the basket and shoots and shoots and shoots until it's hit. I guess his nickname or real name is ...."Cubby"

How many does he have now???? Anyone????

300 or something last I saw. Who knows.

Frank-Flyer
05-25-2011, 03:13 AM
ewwww.... got ya . Illegitimate

notBOB
05-25-2011, 05:57 AM
sorry but that is ridiculous. he threw from the tee and his disc landed in the basket. ace. who cares about completing the round or playing in order. sh*t even if its 4th throw from the tee(oh god, a cubby ace,god forbid). ace. no one can ever change my way of thinking in this regard. go home and be happy for crying out loud.

bhuff
05-25-2011, 07:34 AM
Any 1st throw that you have from a designated tee box, is an ace.

GLong
05-25-2011, 08:10 AM
yeah it counts. but i wouldn't give him any money for it.

i_throw_bricks
05-25-2011, 01:02 PM

This. As long you aren't going up to a baby hole and throwing dozens of drives until one goes in, it's a legitimate ace. What you do AFTER the ace does not change how impressive the ace was.

Of course, this is coming from someone who doesn't have any aces yet, so I wouldn't really listen to me if I was you.