PDA

View Full Version : Water

Doupie620
07-12-2011, 12:08 PM
What sadistic people think it is cool to place a basket near a water hole? Putters roll all the time when they miss and end up where? Water.

Whoever designs a hole where there is a GOOD CHANCE to lose a freaking disc due to water should be kicked in the hypothalamus with steel toed ballet slippers...

People pay for these discs...and replacing discs is not always an option especially if they are rare or unique.

Sorry...it just irks me.

nohr
07-12-2011, 12:10 PM
I judge a disc golf course on 3 things. 1) Elevation 2) Woods 3) Water. Having risk reward is a good thing. If you are worried about losing your putter lay up don't go for it.

jkdisc
07-12-2011, 12:10 PM
i like the risk, makes you think more. you can skip the hole or not go to those courses if you're scared

GLong
07-12-2011, 12:24 PM
if your putter is rolling away then you should learn how to throw it so that it lands flat. this is called controlling the disc.

plus if a putter does roll into water it shouldn't be too far from the edge so you can easily retrieve it. complaining about water/OB from the tee is one thing, but if it just plays around the basket...suck it up or turn in your man card.

Doupie620
07-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Scared? Not likely. I am on the low end fund wise and hate having to give my disc to the water gods because some jack-a-ninny decides to put it 5 ft from a 20ft cliff overlooking water...there is challenging and there is sadistic.

atl scott
07-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Putters roll all the time when they miss and end up where? Water.

Sounds like pucker factor to me. If you are afraid to miss you have to learn to lay up so your disc lands flat. Otherwise man up and hit the putt already.

replacing discs is not always an option especially if they are rare or unique.

Why are you throwing rare and unique discs when you know there is a good chance of losing them? I learned my lesson after losing a night shift destroyer (worth $50) on a hole that I thought it was impossible to throw in the water. :doh: Several weeks and wading sessions later the disc is back in my bag never to be thrown around water again.

atl scott
07-12-2011, 12:27 PM
5 ft from a 20ft cliff overlooking water

link to hole info?

GLong
07-12-2011, 12:30 PM
learn to lay up or work on your putting :thmbup:

i would also like to see that hole. I've only played one hole like that - Pratt Park in VA - hole 10 or 11 maybe? Looks easy - 300' shot open to a lightly protected basket. Get to the pin - 10' behind it is a 80' dropoff!

atl scott
07-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Hole 10 :eek:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_pics/231/d57b6908.jpg

superberry
07-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Don't blame the course designers for installing these excellent risk/reward features just because YOU SUCK AT PUTTING!!!!!!!!!!

GLong
07-12-2011, 12:40 PM
yea that's it! my buddy went down the hill on his 2nd shot and managed to throw a tomahawk all the way back up to the basket to save bogey.

GLong
07-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Don't blame the course designers for installing these excellent risk/reward features just because YOU SUCK AT PUTTING!!!!!!!!!!

to paraphrase mr. hysell:

"interesting course design is not a good excuse for your poor putting"

GT Chris
07-12-2011, 12:42 PM
...suck it up or turn in your man card.

This^ :thmbup:

It seems the problem isn't with the course, but with you missing putts. Either make the putt, or layup and take the three (or four). Not all courses are supposed to be easy...

412Disc
07-12-2011, 12:45 PM
I think it adds something to the course personally. Risk/reward is crucial for me, in my eyes water is a big plus for a course.

Cgkdisc
07-12-2011, 12:56 PM
I agree with the OP that it's poor design to have a pin that close to OB where you can lose your disc, not necessarily OB where your disc is retrievable. The design at Fountain Hills and particularly West Lake in Davenport is one of the worst offenders for a public course in terms of design treachery for players losing discs. Yeah it may suck for designers that the OB hazards you have to work with on a course will cause players to lose discs. It just means you need to be more careful such that only actual bad throws relative to the skill level of the players the route is designed for, not just unlucky throws, are likely to go OB. In general, any type of OB behind a pin shouldn't be closer than 30 feet and the pin should be at least 12-15 feet beyond OB and maybe no closer than 20 feet on either side but not both sides. (Yes, I'm talking about you, hole 24/27 at Sandy Point, and several other pin placements I haven't seen.)

TheWCG
07-12-2011, 12:56 PM

Lol.... So true. Skip the hole if you can't handle it.;)

Raptor
07-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Normally in these cases my friends and I will backboard each other, just in case. No big deal.

Rocaholic74
07-12-2011, 12:59 PM
I love the risk/reward holes....If I throw it in the water that just means I either 1.) suck and should practice putting more often and 2.) learn to throw better so I have an easier putt to begin with...IMHO

I've thrown numerous discs down hole #4 and hole #7 at tyler...both have water just past the basket after a nice journey down either a dirt slope (#4) or the rocks by the Neshaminy creek (#7). If I throw my disc down there the hole is over....you're making bogey in the best of scenarios....at least double if not more trying to navigate your way through all those trees..

GLong
07-12-2011, 01:22 PM
In general, any type of OB behind a pin shouldn't be closer than 30 feet and the pin should be at least 12-15 feet beyond OB and maybe no closer than 20 feet on either side but not both sides.

I always understood this to be the 'guideline' for shaping a green, but I wouldn't complain about one that was a bit tighter because they are the exception not the rule. I think adding the 'pucker' factor makes things interesting and forces you to really commit to either laying up or running at it.

I think it also depends on the length of the hole. Hole 2 at my home course has OB within 30' of the basket, but it's 198' slight downhill and open. I think that's fair.

discmeister
07-12-2011, 01:25 PM
I learned to play on such a course, Fritz Park in Irving TX. A lot of H2O between shots and near baskets. It makes you more accurate and an expert disc fisher. Hole # 15 at Bear Creek, Grapevine TX, has a steep drop off into deep murky water too. I lost my favorite Coyote there a couple of months ago.

weeman
07-12-2011, 01:29 PM
suck it up or turn in your man card.

Agreed.

adoubleudisc
07-12-2011, 01:34 PM
I wish I played more courses with water

prerube
07-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Throw a Hydra and suck it up :)

jkdisc
07-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Scared? Not likely. I am on the low end fund wise and hate having to give my disc to the water gods because some jack-a-ninny decides to put it 5 ft from a 20ft cliff overlooking water...there is challenging and there is sadistic.

i think this is the definition of scared.

drickanderson
07-12-2011, 01:51 PM
I wish I played more courses with water

this ..

I played a course in Lubbock, TX that had water on it, and it was a completely different experience for me. Nothing in Vegas has water on it (well, hole 20 at Sunset, but there's no real threat of losing your disc there. You might just get some mud on your shoes though).

I was in Lubbock on a business trip, and had only brought a small handful of discs. The very real threat of losing one of them to the water had me playing a completely different game than I would have been otherwise. It was exciting to get that rush of adrenaline every time a disc turned over the wrong way and headed for the pond. It was something I hadn't experienced before playing disc golf, and I want more .. lol

TonyAPE12
07-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Seriously? I remembered when all I did was complain about course design rather than noticing that I just need to learn to play better....I understand that some courses are actually poorly designed, but I too love risk/reward shots and if you can't handle the risk associated with some shots then don't play those courses...I play on a course that's completely flat, wide open, and the only OB risk is a creek that runs through the entire park, but I can retrieve any disc as long as I can see it. I would kill to have a course where I'm throwing over water hazards the entire time or potentially risk going down a big cliff.

DavidSauls
07-12-2011, 02:09 PM
I won't be so vitriolic, but just say to the O.P.---

Go play another course.

I'm not sure I've seen the examples where losing a putter was very likely---it should be close enough to be retrievable---and I join the others here who like the excitement of throwing over and near water, including on the green.

Oh, and one more thing---

Disregard my signature.

drickanderson
07-12-2011, 02:10 PM
if your putter is rolling away then you should learn how to throw it so that it lands flat. this is called controlling the disc.

So you've figured out how to keep your disc flat after it bounces off the basket, or chains out? That's some serious jedi power there man ..

LakeBodom397
07-12-2011, 02:27 PM
The tough holes are what make a course exciting to play.

GLong
07-12-2011, 02:32 PM
So you've figured out how to keep your disc flat after it bounces off the basket, or chains out? That's some serious jedi power there man ..

of course! that's why I practice a lot....

in all seriousness, of course not. but if i had a putt on a green like that and did not feel confident, I would just lay up. If I feel confident and it's inside 30' it's probably going in :thmbup:

NCStatePlaya
07-12-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm waiting to see this hole...the hole that started this thread. I've lost a putter on a water hole...#15 at Buckhorn...I'm not mad (I was at the time), its the best thing that couldn've ever happened. I upgraded from a Polecat to a Magic...thank God for that pond.

Honestly, I hate long holes...I can't throw far...I don't like tight holes, I don't have the best control...but water always excites me. I always debate if I try and end up splashing down, I'll go diving for it...who am I kidding...I haven't gone in yet. Chalk it up as plastic to the DG gods and get another disc. Just a little advice, don't throw special/unique discs over water. Asking for a disaster.

vonDrehle
07-12-2011, 02:44 PM
You can always not play the hole :/...

jkdisc
07-12-2011, 02:49 PM
OP dont play #15 at buckhorn, uphill to the basket with a unseen, disgusting pond 20 ft behind.

chrishysell
07-12-2011, 02:55 PM
to paraphrase mr. hysell:

"interesting course design is not a good excuse for your poor putting"

That's about right.

I got crushed last weekend at Ashe County Park on a hole across water. I could have thrown over the water to the basket or bailed out left. There was a drop off past the basket so too far made you putt back uphill with water behind the basket. The water was also surrounded by iron reeds.

As the round began I watched course designer Harold Duval park the hole within 5 feet from the tee.

Tin cup in round 1, tee off intending to bail out left. Bam, iron reed. Go to drop zone, throw at basket, iron reed. throw again, bailing out left, another iron reed. Threw once again, cleared the reeds, made the putt. Triple penalty 8. It put me in 3rd place 4 strokes back.

Round 3, I was leading by 5 strokes after a decent round and I had to start on my nemesis water hole. My 1st shot was a layup short. My second shot found another iron reed, my third throw was a bailout left. I threw up to the basket and made a putt for a penalty 6. My nearest competitor got a 3 and erased most of my lead.

That hole is in no way the hardest hole on the course but my 3 round combined score was the highest of all the holes. I just played it wrong because once I was in the water I really didn't have a game plan.

chrishysell
07-12-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm waiting to see this hole...the hole that started this thread. I've lost a putter on a water hole...#15 at Buckhorn...I'm not mad (I was at the time), its the best thing that couldn've ever happened. I upgraded from a Polecat to a Magic...thank God for that pond.

Honestly, I hate long holes...I can't throw far...I don't like tight holes, I don't have the best control...but water always excites me. I always debate if I try and end up splashing down, I'll go diving for it...who am I kidding...I haven't gone in yet. Chalk it up as plastic to the DG gods and get another disc. Just a little advice, don't throw special/unique discs over water. Asking for a disaster.

I'm the reason they have a mando on hole 16 at Buckhorn. Too many deuces from the long tee.

Hole 15 really isn't that bad. Does Felix still come out in his wetsuit?

vonDrehle
07-12-2011, 03:02 PM
That's about right.

I got crushed last weekend at Ashe County Park on a hole across water. I could have thrown over the water to the basket or bailed out left. There was a drop off past the basket so too far made you putt back uphill with water behind the basket. The water was also surrounded by iron reeds.

As the round began I watched course designer Harold Duval park the hole within 5 feet from the tee.

Tin cup in round 1, tee off intending to bail out left. Bam, iron reed. Go to drop zone, throw at basket, iron reed. throw again, bailing out left, another iron reed. Threw once again, cleared the reeds, made the putt. Triple penalty 8. It put me in 3rd place 4 strokes back.

Round 3, I was leading by 5 strokes after a decent round and I had to start on my nemesis water hole. My 1st shot was a layup short. My second shot found another iron reed, my third throw was a bailout left. I threw up to the basket and made a putt for a penalty 6. My nearest competitor got a 3 and erased most of my lead.

That hole is in no way the hardest hole on the course but my 3 round combined score was the highest of all the holes. I just played it wrong because once I was in the water I really didn't have a game plan.

Always feel accomplished when you get over the water from the long tee though :D. Last time I was there the hole played a lot easier because either the bushes in the water had been trimmed or they were starting to die. They used to really thick.

magictenor1
07-12-2011, 03:11 PM
I learned to play on such a course, Fritz Park in Irving TX. A lot of H2O between shots and near baskets. It makes you more accurate and an expert disc fisher. Hole # 15 at Bear Creek, Grapevine TX, has a steep drop off into deep murky water too. I lost my favorite Coyote there a couple of months ago.Yea, you do not want to be long on 15. I like that hole very much. Of course it is short enough that you can finesse it in there. The shorter the hole the more fair it is to have water close to the basket. that's my opinion. I really like the risk/reward shots.

Lanebrew
07-12-2011, 03:19 PM
I would agree with the man up/play better aspect. I have only been playing since Feb and I know when I can go for it or when I need to lay up. I would LOVE to play this alleged sadistic course!!!

Chiefstang
07-12-2011, 03:28 PM
The tough holes are what make a course exciting to play.

Hole 13 at the new Shore Winds Blue Course puckers my a$$ every time I throw it.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4254

There's three pictures of that hole here, and they still don't do it justice. The slope down starts 40' in front of the tees, making it hard to see the basket past the berm.

336 feet downhill on a narrow fairway.

To the left: A 20' cliff and Lake Ontario crashing on the shore beneath

To the right: Some of the worst shule ever. You're better off in the water.

Ten feet behind the basket: More of the cliffy Lake Ontario monster.

It takes brass ball$ to run at that basket, but it's the hole I look forward to the most.

It's also one of the most beautiful holes I've seen. VERY Pebble Beach.

Chiefstang
07-12-2011, 03:30 PM
BTW, I smell DGR...:sick:

LakeBodom397
07-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Hole 13 at the new Shore Winds Blue Course puckers my a$$ every time I throw it.

There's three pictures of that hole here, and they still don't do it justice. The slope down starts 40' in front of the tees, making it hard to see the basket past the berm.

It takes brass ball$ to run at that basket, but it's the hole I look forward to the most.

This is a perfect example of what I am talking about.

GLong
07-12-2011, 03:53 PM

here is the hole basket to tee:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_pics/4254/290bb7ca.jpg

certainly looks tough but it is relatively open, definitely not 'wooded'. that looks like a great hole.

CTRobuck
07-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Oh, also, just NUT up and deal with. If it wasn't for trees, sand, bushes, WATER, etc. we'd all just be playing in parking lots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrishysell
07-12-2011, 04:10 PM
looks fun and challenging

jsc430
07-12-2011, 04:15 PM
There should be a trial period before noobs can post...

Chiefstang
07-12-2011, 04:27 PM
here is the hole basket to tee:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_pics/4254/290bb7ca.jpg

certainly looks tough but it is relatively open, definitely not 'wooded'. that looks like a great hole.

Not wooded at all, but that brush on the left fills in horribly in the summer.

Can you post the other two pics of that hole by chance? I wanted to, but my skillz iz weeek.

DavidSauls
07-12-2011, 04:35 PM
WOW. It's a shame someone puts a hole in like that----so far away from me.

Thumbs up.

jkdisc
07-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Hysell, how do you play #15 buckhorn?

superberry
07-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Hysell, how do you play #15 buckhorn?

Great hole. I run at it about 75% power with a stable putter that I can afford to lose. By backing off on the full power throw the putter will 'float' a bit more and drop on the ridge easier.

Almost better is making the run across the pond to the pin on the other side for Hole 17 (from the long tee). Beside having to drive low due to low hanging branches, you need to carry 330+ feet or so over the water (I forget).

Having no OB 30' behind the pin is lame in my mind. If you make the putt, doesn't matter what is behind the pin. If you're afraid of missing, you need to throw short. Throwing short is the exact same thing as having to throw left, right, whatever - it's a skill needing to be learned and perfected.

superberry
07-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Not wooded at all, but that brush on the left fills in horribly in the summer.

Can you post the other two pics of that hole by chance? I wanted to, but my skillz iz weeek.

Especially considerin the shoreline winds, I'd probably run at it with a RHBH anny Buzzz. But I would be afraid to lose my Buzzz, so that pucker factor (psychological warfare design as I call it) would probably cause me to choke a few times.

It's just plastic. Lose some, find some, throw something new, it'll all be okay!!

Chiefstang
07-12-2011, 06:40 PM
It should be a HOD, whoever sets that up.

FWIW, this course is a half an hour from the Am Worlds, but not being used in the tourney.

It is actually two amazing 18 hole courses on a state camp ground, if you're looking for lodging...

/Threadjack over.

DrenalinJunkie
07-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Being a noob myself, I LOVE water holes!!!!

I kinda carry my archery thoughts with me into every sport where I may lose something............ If you can't afford to lose it, don't throw(shoot, flick, chunk, toss, etc) it. And like others have said, either pop the clutch or lay up.

lxdawg25
07-12-2011, 08:58 PM
I had never played any real water holes until this year when a new course was installed locally. It was a real pain at first, lost three discs in three rounds. I've learned my lesson invested in some floaters and I've only improved from there. I've learned to use my wahoo to perfection on a few holes and on others I've gained the confidence to actually throw the best throw over the hole with non-floaters. Sure I've lost some including one of my favorite dyes. But since I lost that I'm trying out new discs to replace it which has me working on my form more than relying on a particular disc. I thought water sucked but now I love it and some of my favorite holes have water on them.

BTW that hole in NY looks awesome and I'd love to come give it a shot, can't wait to take a trip to NY now (never thought I'd say that since that unfortunate time on long island :( )