PDA

View Full Version : Stuck at 300!

Darth Anovin
08-18-2011, 02:48 AM
So it seems to me that I simply cannot throw a disc farther than 300 feet, in golf distance with accuracy. It doesn't matter what disc. Archon, Teebird, or a Buzzz. They all go about 300 and that's it. Don't get me wrong, I'm very satisfied throwing a Buzzz that far, but what gives with the drivers?!?!? Disc golf can be so frustrating at times!!!!!:wall:

roadtripstuff
08-18-2011, 02:50 AM
Here ya go (http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16139), there is a link to this in the technique sticky. Something I need to work on myself.

GLong
08-18-2011, 02:54 AM
there are several possible culprits but two likely ones:

nose up (mainly this)
weight not forward enough

someone posted a thread with similar issue a few days ago ... do a search for it.

Darth Anovin
08-18-2011, 03:14 AM
After reading a few articles, and this may sound silly, but I think I'm screwed. Reason why? I have never in my life been able to snap a towel. Lol!

lion
08-18-2011, 03:53 AM
I was there and then just started playing like crazy and it all came together fast, distance just unravled fast and before I knew it I was in the 400 foot range. You will get there, snap will come with play and practice. Just grip lock alot of throws and you will develop snap with more arm speed

Lithicon
08-18-2011, 04:20 AM
I was there and then just started playing like crazy and it all came together fast, distance just unravled fast and before I knew it I was in the 400 foot range. You will get there, snap will come with play and practice. Just grip lock alot of throws and you will develop snap with more arm speed
Actually this is how most get their first feeling of snap. Grip locks are merely good mechanics lacking proper timing. That's why most people's grip locks go farther than their "accurate" drives. It's about feel and replicating it. If they grip lock enough they'll usually get a good feel of what snap should feel like, then change their throw to keep that feeling but go where they want it.

Or, you could do the Hammer pounds properly and get the feeling of snap the easier way and just rebuild your throw around that. :p

garublador
08-18-2011, 10:03 AM

nose up (mainly this)

someone posted a thread with similar issue a few days ago ... do a search for it.This.

The good news is that "snap" isn't what's not allowing you to throw over 300'. You'll probably get to at least 330' or so with your Teebird just by fixing the mechanics that are making all your discs go the same distance. If you fix a bit more you'll get to ~320' with the Buzzz and ~350' with the TB. After that is when "snap" is what's holding you back.

Uncle Dougie
08-18-2011, 11:12 AM

I'm into my 14 month or so of playing and the snap and distance barriers are starting to click for me. I find that staying consistant and always telegraphing your shot works best. Keeping my main drivers down to at least 2 molds has worked wonders for me. I'm so much more consistant with more drives and pretty much land in the same spot every time. Not to mention the fact that I've gained at least 50' in the past two months. :o

Triflusal
08-18-2011, 11:17 AM
After reading a few articles, and this may sound silly, but I think I'm screwed. Reason why? I have never in my life been able to snap a towel. Lol!

I can't do the towel drill but I am currently flirting with half hitting, so don't worry

Mr. America
08-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I can't get a towel to snap much for myself, at least not regularly. I get more of a pop than a snap, not exactly the dreaded swooshing sound either. I find that when I am trying it I can see and feel things way out of whack with my throw. I think it's because i'm focusing on the towel, and not a disc.

xander
08-18-2011, 04:09 PM
i seem to be stuck there as well. although today i let rip my light sidewinder and it really snapped and ripped out of my hand and I could even hear the force it made as it left. i knew i had done it right and the disc friggen sailed, now to replicate that every time hah

Darth Anovin
08-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Yeah. And one thing I'm noticing is that I seem to be able to hyzer flip understable discs a lot farther than throwing stable discs flat. I don't get that either.

Chiefstang
08-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Yeah. And one thing I'm noticing is that I seem to be able to hyzer flip understable discs a lot farther than throwing stable discs flat. I don't get that either.

Same here. I've been getting great hyzer flips out of my Monarch that are flying farther than my overstable distance drivers. It makes sense, I guess. The first part of the flight is almost like bonus distance before the disc levels out and does it's thing.

As an added bonus, nice hyzer flips are awesome to watch and often earn oohs and ahhs from the rest of the group!

toothyfish
08-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Makes sense, actually. Understable discs (and beat-in stable discs) are generating more lift than stable. And overstable discs generate very little lift, which is why they work well into head winds.

Plus, for alot of us, we can generate a bit more speed and power from a hyzer release. I think the combination of the two is what really works.

pspunch
08-18-2011, 06:51 PM
always telegraphing your shot works best

I started doing this last week and picked up an extra 50ft almost immediately. I think doing it before the shot helps me focus on it during the shot. I.e. At full reach back i'm looking at the disc taking a tiny second to make sure my disc has the hyzer angle i want. this has me pulling thru on a better line, not making small corrections mid swing, and has the disc coming thru with my hips instead of out of sync.

This helped me, hopefully it helps you too

joesouthfla
08-18-2011, 09:25 PM

nose up (mainly this)

Can you elaborate on nose up?

Jody Mitchell
08-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Accelerate through the hit.

Greatzky
08-18-2011, 11:51 PM

Someone say Hyzer Flip? :)
But seriously... I would think that you would get more distance throwing hyzer flips than flat shots...
Beat up discs and understable discs will create lift when turning over (a Roadrunner is a great example of this.. they gain a lot of height when they start to turn.. sidewinders not so much) and that height as well as high speed turn is going to create more distance.

I throw my Sidewinders on a hyzer flip on average farther than I could throw a Teebird or Leopard on a straight release. There is a speed difference as well, but it's mostly because of the flip. In fact a hyzer flip is my favorite shot and it's also my "comfort zone" shot. If i'm not throwing well or I feel that the shot is very touchy I will prefer to throw a hyzer flip with an understable disc. Only when I feel that my form is on and i'm throwing well will I start to incorporate other shots/discs into my game. Sometimes I'll go a whole tournament and just throw sidewinders because I would rather throw that and get safe distance than try to throw a flat teebird and pull it over or drop it.. IT's weird, but that's where my comfort zone is.

Sorry If i got in on this discussion late. Haven't been on here in a long time.. just catching up :)

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

Darth Anovin
08-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Very interesting philosophy Scott. I think next round I throw, I might just take my RR, Leopard, Meteor, and Yeti and see how I shoot.

Jivecody
08-19-2011, 12:20 AM
reach back farther, load your hips and pull through quicker, this all is if your technique is proper

GLong
08-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Can you elaborate on nose up?

outside of the throwing motion, wrist orientation and disc orientation in the grip play a major part. read the grip tutorial on DGR. knowledge bomb waiting to blow up on you.