PDA

View Full Version : Dead and Unattached Rule

razorsmith.com
01-26-2012, 04:29 PM
So if there are obstacles in my stance that are dead and unattached and do not lie between my lie and the basket, I can move them right? So the question is how far does that line of my stance extend?

ex: my disc lands on the other side of a fallen dead tree log.(dead and unattached. after marking my lie, I have the 30cm between my marker and the log, however it impacts my straddle putting on my off foot, and it is between my feet with one foot in front of the other putting. seeing that this is dead and unattached, can i move it? now one bit of information not given is that this log is about 10-12 foot long. so even though it is in my stance, it is also well outside my stance. the log is perpendicular to the basket, so no part of the log is closer to the basket than my marked lie.

bradharris
01-26-2012, 04:34 PM
If it affects your stance and at least part of it is behind your lie (it should be if it's affecting your stance) then it can be moved. Doesn't matter how long it happens to be.

MikePinchico
01-26-2012, 04:40 PM
We need an MS paint diagram to better visualize

Cgkdisc
01-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Actually, you would probably use the solid object relief rule 803.04E to get a better stance in this case rather than try to move the log.

razorsmith.com
01-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Actually, you would probably use the solid object relief rule 803.04E to get a better stance in this case rather than try to move the log.

except that rule states if an obstacle prevents the player from taking a stance 30cm behind the marker. there is 30cm, but it is awkward. I think this covers it. 803.05.B

B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are in the stance or run-up area: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the director before the round. The player must first attempt to remove the obstacle. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the hole, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie, as agreed to by a majority of the group or an official (unless greater casual relief is announced by the director).

SirRaph
01-26-2012, 05:08 PM
What about moving objects that would obstruct a follow-through on a jump putt? For example, a stick that sits in front of a lie, waiting to roll my ankle after I land from my jump putt?

JR Stengele
01-26-2012, 05:11 PM
^ I thought Feldberg helped get this taken care of in the latest set of rules. Fallen/dead materials in front of your lie may be removed with 3 ft? Not sure the exact rule but something like that. Anyone?

bradharris
01-26-2012, 05:24 PM
What about moving objects that would obstruct a follow-through on a jump putt? For example, a stick that sits in front of a lie, waiting to roll my ankle after I land from my jump putt?

You always have the option to not jump putt if there is a safety issue. So you can not move anything directly in front of your lie. If you feel there is a safety issue, stand and deliver instead.

Roc1Time
01-26-2012, 05:28 PM
^ I thought Feldberg helped get this taken care of in the latest set of rules. Fallen/dead materials in front of your lie may be removed with 3 ft? Not sure the exact rule but something like that. Anyone?

I was told this too at the last tourney I played as I was talking to a guy that moved a stick that was in front of him. I wasnt going to call him o it, just talking it out with him and the guys on the card, and tjey had mentioned something about a rule change as well

Cgkdisc
01-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Part of the stick has to be behind your lie and in your stance to be allowed to move it.