PDA

View Full Version : OB or not OB, that is the question

hognosesucker
08-05-2009, 11:39 PM
So I came acoss a unique situation while playing Vandalia DGC in Vandalia IL, tonight. The concrete sets for the sleeves at this park are surrounded by more concrete, about 2.5 to 3 ft in total diameter (no idea why, maybe to discourage theft). Anyway, I missed a putt and my disc landed on the concrete and was surrounded by it. What's the ruling? Is it OB or not?

Technically, I think it is OB, but that would be ridiculous in my opinion.

mashnut
08-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Was there anything designating those areas as OB? If so, then yes you're OB but I doubt that anyone would make the area right around the basket OB. Not all concrete is necessarily out.

vonDrehle
08-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Just so I'm clear in my head the concrete you landed on is surrounding the basket? If so then I would say it is 100% in bounds. Another think to think of if it is a small slab of concrete it is most likely always going to be inbounds. Normally OB concrete consist of roads and walking paths.

sidewinder22
08-06-2009, 12:16 AM
That would be interesting to play it as OB though! Scores would be insane. But yeah I don't believe its OB, unless you are crazy.

mashnut
08-06-2009, 12:17 AM
That would be interesting to play it as OB though! Scores would be insane. But yeah I don't believe its OB, unless you are crazy.

Ha, that would add some challenge to putts. Miss long or don't miss at all!

hognosesucker
08-06-2009, 12:20 AM
There was no designation anywhere (there was no sign at the beginning, describing what was OB, the only OB described was on the tee signs.. It was generally road.) Thanks for the input.

magictenor1
08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
I can't see why you would even think that could be OB.

nygfaninva
08-06-2009, 11:44 AM
I play in a park where it is known that an concrete is OB, if the same rule applies then it is OB. If nothing was ever said about the concrete, then I can't see how you can count it as OB without prior discussion.

DavidSauls
08-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Nothing is O.B. unless specified by course rules or the TD.

But since pavement of any kind is almost always specified as O.B., the notion forms that "all concrete/pavement is O.B." is part of disc golf rules. So it's an understandable question.

rlangton
08-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Baskets planted on concrete footing the concrete is not OB.. ever. Even if the concrete is a little larger than usual.

Camgolfer
08-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Expo park in Aurora, CO has concrete rings surrounding the basket. If you landed on one fo those its still inbounds. Though we still joke with each other and call it OB when it is not.

bettsjc
08-06-2009, 01:41 PM
common sense would tell you that it's not OB, but the technical rules say it is. Very good question, though

thepowerofpancakes
08-06-2009, 01:52 PM
I can't see why you would even think that could be OB.

i had the same reaction, the concrete is a part of the basket, the basket is a part of the course. like a bench that is made of concrete would still be a part of the course, it wouldnt be OB. and if the TD tried to make it OB he would be an idiot. I've seen a concrete slab about 4x4 in the middle of the field covering some old drainage ditch or something, all weekend at the tourney people were asking if that thing was OB. i just have to shake my head at that sort of question. The reason they say all concrete or pavement is becuase people walk on sidewalks and streets and its a saftey issue, its not becuase the concrete is somehow evil and must not be touched. sorry, i went in to smart a$$ mode for a second there. :o

mashnut
08-06-2009, 02:35 PM
common sense would tell you that it's not OB, but the technical rules say it is. Very good question, though

What technical rules are you talking about? I've never heard of a rule that all concrete everywhere is OB.

solomon.trenton
08-06-2009, 02:44 PM
i had the same reaction, the concrete is a part of the basket, the basket is a part of the course. like a bench that is made of concrete would still be a part of the course, it wouldnt be OB. and if the TD tried to make it OB he would be an idiot. I've seen a concrete slab about 4x4 in the middle of the field covering some old drainage ditch or something, all weekend at the tourney people were asking if that thing was OB. i just have to shake my head at that sort of question. The reason they say all concrete or pavement is becuase people walk on sidewalks and streets and its a saftey issue, its not becuase the concrete is somehow evil and must not be touched. sorry, i went in to smart a$$ mode for a second there. :o

i have played all roads as OB but not sidewalks:|

vonDrehle
08-06-2009, 02:48 PM
I believe that OB lines are created by the course designer. I think if they wanted to they could even call a big lake casual and give you free relief from it.

mashnut
08-06-2009, 02:48 PM
I generally play whatever is marked on the course map/signs, unless nothing is and there's something like a parking lot that should obviously be OB. This is why you always ask questions in the players meeting about things like this, I played with a guy who thought he knew where the OBs were and ended up with penalty strokes because he was wrong.

thepowerofpancakes
08-06-2009, 02:50 PM
i have played all roads as OB but not sidewalks:|

weird, in Texas sidewalks 'On or Beyond' are always OB

bettsjc
08-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Any league I've ever seen calls concrete OB, but I'm sure ground rules in a tourney at a course such as this would rule it in bounds

solomon.trenton
08-06-2009, 03:32 PM

i dont think i have played more than one course with a sidewalk, and even then it passed through the holes (reed canal park) so it would be kind of hard to play the on or beyond rule.

John Rock
08-06-2009, 05:39 PM

Not in this part of Texas. There are certain situations that call for it, yes, but not as a general rule.

scarpfish
08-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Any rules regarding a patch of cement being OB are local ones. There is no rule set by the PDGA stating that it has to be that way.

We actually have a few holes at our courses where there is an asphalt road surrounding a fishing pond that is marked as a designated "bunker". If you land here, there's no penalty stroke, but you have to take your next shot upside down.

skurf
08-06-2009, 07:05 PM
We actually have a few holes at our courses where there is an asphalt road surrounding a fishing pond that is marked as a designated "bunker". If you land here, there's no penalty stroke, but you have to take your next shot upside down.
Like you have to stand on your head and throw it? I bet these guys could get some pretty good distance off their heads...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlfoYiwpZ6A

StrikerME02
08-06-2009, 07:14 PM
I would say that that is definately not OB. Also, I don't see how you could miss a putt and have your disc go OB that often unless you totally fling your putts. It sounds completely legal to me.