PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's Wind or Side-arm Disc??

UFO51
02-23-2012, 10:11 PM
I am getting some new folks into the sport and trying to figure out a disc for my friend that has this wind phobia as well as an older guy that is leaning more towards a sidearm drive rather than backhand for distance.

I am thinking wraith for both? The guy that has the wind issue is fairly competent with a valkyrie in no wind and the older dude has really low time with any technique but would like a good disc to start to flick with.

The first disc I ever flicked with any success was a champ wraith and I still have it and love it. It's easy to pick discs for beginners in a no wind, backhand scenario but thoughts on wind or sidearm? thanks!

jpacetime
02-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Any disc can be thrown side arm. 30 years ago they used 119g frisbees, side arm. I learned to forehand with understable stuff. I would let them throw your bag and see what they like.

mashnut
02-23-2012, 10:41 PM
If you want to learn good form forehand, do it the same way you would backhand starting with slow neutral discs. If you just care about fighting headwinds and having an occasional forehand shot without worrying about improving your form then go for a disc that's truly overstable like a viper, banshee, firebird or predator (in increasing speed order) rather than one that just acts overstable because it's too fast for you like a wraith in the case you mentioned.

jobwilson
02-23-2012, 11:21 PM
If you want to learn good form forehand, do it the same way you would backhand starting with slow neutral discs. If you just care about fighting headwinds and having an occasional forehand shot without worrying about improving your form then go for a disc that's truly overstable like a viper, banshee, firebird or predator (in increasing speed order) rather than one that just acts overstable because it's too fast for you like a wraith in the case you mentioned.

^^This. New players immediately go to the "Overstable forehand" crutch. It teaches player nothing except how to throw a disc harder.

emerica1842
02-24-2012, 01:24 AM
If you just care about fighting headwinds and having an occasional forehand shot without worrying about improving your form then go for a disc that's truly overstable like a viper, banshee, firebird or predator (in increasing speed order) rather than one that just acts overstable because it's too fast for you like a wraith in the case you mentioned.
That's why i throw a monster for those shots :\

ohtobediscing
02-24-2012, 01:36 AM
I had a great ESP XL for forehands until it became too beat/flippy. Now using a Flick and/or Teerex.

Wind, I just haven't had enough issue to know a good wind disc, as most of my discing is in the well-treed NW.

pspunch
02-24-2012, 01:42 AM
groove. and i'm only joking a little. i'm hoping that it's stable enough for the wind and FH use, but will punish them enough that they research discs for themselves and make educated decisions when buying plastic in the future.

it really is a snowflake

jhunt410
02-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Discraft Pulse is a pretty good choice for both options. I had good luck throwing one forehand when I started out, but even it might be a little faster than he might want to use.

Jukeshoe
02-24-2012, 02:13 AM
groove. and i'm only joking a little. i'm hoping that it's stable enough for the wind and FH use, but will punish them enough that they research discs for themselves and make educated decisions when buying plastic in the future.

it really is a snowflake

No.

Just...no. :\

From personal experience. NO.

pspunch
02-24-2012, 02:22 AM
No.

Just...no. :\

From personal experience. NO.

sounds like we did the same thing.

Nowski
02-24-2012, 02:44 AM
starfire

JamesXC
02-24-2012, 07:07 AM
starfire

Actually an SL is probably a better place to start. It has enough overstability that it will be able to mask some form flaws, but not enough that they will get into bad habits. If you don't mind backing down a bit on speed, an Eagle-X is a pretty good choice for similar reasons. It is a bit less speed-stable, which will do a better job of teaching the shot.

UFO51
02-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Ok, the forehand answers are as I expected and I probably learned the wrong way with an overstable disc (I can flick other stuff now though).

I figure a light to moderate wind disc should be one notch up in speed/stability from what an individual is competently throwing in no wind. Cross or headwind that is.

I will probably get the one guy a wraith and start the other guy off flicking stuff he already has.

lavon_andy
02-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Buzzz