Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > philman

Conversation Between philman and cfair
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 7 of 7
  1. cfair
    12-08-2010 08:15 PM
    cfair
    Well thanks, I just want to say this. I went to school for graphic design and ended up doing a lot of screen printing, print making, photogoraphy, web, (focus in) print, and animation and some video. I was a bit of jack of all trades problem is I only do what I really want to... I want to take pictures, make cloths, and make art... and lately DG has kept my attention in a way I can't explain...

Sorry trying not to be weird... had a bit to much to drink... hopefully business will be good... for all of us.
  2. philman
    12-08-2010 07:43 PM
    philman
    Yeah thanks man. I don't plan on dyeing dri-fits. If the disc business keeps up I will look for a low end tshirt press and do it that way. Either way thanks for the props. The work I see you do is not low end. You do a good job. Keep up the good work.
  3. cfair
    12-08-2010 07:37 PM
    cfair
    no prob man, I appreciate the response. I've been thinking I could fill in a small niche in the disc dyeing department meaning that I do cheap work but won't do really advanced stuff. Not to take away work from anyone but just because.

Also let me know how the dying dri-fit stuff works out. I've been entertaining the idea of starting a shop and have a few ideas that would help it generate revenue. But keep up the cool work my man. Diggin it.
  4. philman
    12-08-2010 07:30 PM
    philman
    It really depends on disc an plastic. If it's a design that I've done (over 100) I charge less. I get a break on discs from my local shop since I dye for them and give them a break for bulk orders. That way I can give that price break to customers. If it's a custom job and multicolor I charge a little more since i have to actually work on the design. With the work I do for the shop and the work I do for locals plus the work I get from here I average about 10 - 15 per week. I am a network engineer by day so I definitely don't live on this. I do hope to grow my business beyond dyes and want to get into doing dri-fit shirts and sweatshirt designs. If it gets big enough I may quit my day job but things are going to have to really get good for that to happen. I don't think anyone is going to get rich off this right now.

Sorry to be vague but I don't really like to give out prices unless I have a job to bid on.
  5. cfair
    12-08-2010 07:23 PM
    cfair
    mind if I ask a couple of questions? I was wondering how much you charge a dye and then how much if you sell the disc. Also how much work would you say you do a week? I believe you use a plotter so that makes more doable. You probably don't live off this eh?
  6. philman
    12-04-2010 10:42 AM
    philman
    Thanks . I use a plotter. I average between 10 - 15 discs a week right now, so the plotter comes in very handy.
  7. cfair
    12-04-2010 08:44 AM
    cfair
    YO! Lovin the work, and the tattoo analogy was something I was thinking about the other day. You hand cut or use a plotter?