Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How to accurately determine distance from tee to pin (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103945)

Vonbeezy1 04-02-2014 11:59 PM

How to accurately determine distance from tee to pin

Tomorrow I am going to update my local courses on here and want to figure out how I determine tee to basket distance. I have a range finder and can use that but my question is how is the distance determined? Is it a straight shot from tee to basket? Is it an out and around if there is no line? For example, if I have a hole that is a dogleg right around woods, do I use the rangefinder through the woods or do I take the out and around to account for distance?

5QU166Y 04-03-2014 12:08 AM

In my opinion, it should be the distance of the shortest route a disc could take to the basket while remaining on the fairway.

Aim For The Chains 04-03-2014 12:11 AM

Its hard to answer what you are asking. Measure the intended line to the basket. There will always be some type of variance but you don't want to cut corners or make a line to measure which discs wont travel.

You probably could get as accuracte results from recent maping sites unless you are going to walk each fairway with a wheel.

Plastic Thunder 04-03-2014 12:16 AM

Well, if I were putting in a road, it would from the center line, point to point. I often wonder the same question.

scarpfish 04-03-2014 12:16 AM

To me, there is no perfectly accurate method. Range finders are about as gold standard as you can get, but there are instances where the direct line isn't what should be measured.

elmexdela 04-03-2014 12:30 AM

i was just thinking this today. there was multiple holes at a new course i was playing and the distances were questionable on the less open shots. do most do a crows flight or not? signs can be very misleading

Timeetyo 04-03-2014 12:46 AM

This is tricky given the various lines that may be taken. IMO, the best way would be to measure it point to point - but based on intended landing zones.

Par 3:
- Straight line from the tee to basket.

Par 4+:
- Straight line from tee to intended landing zone + straight line from landing zone to Tee (insert another LZ if 5+, etc).

For the Par 3 my logic is straight line is the easiest to understand and translate from course to course (or fieldwork to course). Here are some scenarios (all 300' from tee to pin):
- If it is wide open - it is just like field work. Pick your shot that you know hits 300.
- If it is a dogleg - pick your shot that shapes the dogleg (or goes over it) and hits 300. Just like ranging fieldwork - I want a big (hyzer/anny/etc) that lands at 300.

For the Par 4+ my logic is that I break these down into multiple shots. I need to hit a 300' drive to hit the first landing zone. Then I need a 300' approach shot. Ok. That is a 600' hole to me.

mattc 04-03-2014 12:50 AM

i do it, taking the path as the disc flys using a 300' tape

brutalbrutus 04-03-2014 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timeetyo (Post 2409977)
This is tricky given the various lines that may be taken. IMO, the best way would be to measure it point to point - but based on intended landing zones.

Par 3:
- Straight line from the tee to basket.

Par 4+:
- Straight line from tee to intended landing zone + straight line from landing zone to Tee (insert another LZ if 5+, etc).

For the Par 3 my logic is straight line is the easiest to understand and translate from course to course (or fieldwork to course). Here are some scenarios (all 300' from tee to pin):
- If it is wide open - it is just like field work. Pick your shot that you know hits 300.
- If it is a dogleg - pick your shot that shapes the dogleg (or goes over it) and hits 300. Just like ranging fieldwork - I want a big (hyzer/anny/etc) that lands at 300.

For the Par 4+ my logic is that I break these down into multiple shots. I need to hit a 300' drive to hit the first landing zone. Then I need a 300' approach shot. Ok. That is a 600' hole to me.

In ball golf they measure from the tee down the center of the fairway point to point if needed on a dogleg. Not sure if there is a standard on DG courses, probably whoever designed the course chose his own way. Has anyone ever played a course that had distance markers in the fairway? That is one aspect of ball golf I miss.

Cgkdisc 04-03-2014 01:03 AM

From the PDGA Course Design Guidelines:

Hole length is measured from front of the tee to the target along the fairway route the designer
intended players of that skill level to throw. For doglegs or water carries, the only time the straight
line, crow flies, measurement should be used is if the designer intended players of that skill level to be
able to throw over the tree tops to shorten the dogleg or throw straight completely over the water.