Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Disc Golf Courses (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Theme “Park” Type Courses like Shawshank (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34140)

Donovan 04-18-2011 09:20 PM

Theme “Park” Type Courses like Shawshank
 
I just played Shawshank and was completely blown away. I had to stop writing my review, because it was getting a bit lengthy. It was so much fun playing a place where each hole was part of the over-all theme. Holes called Death Row and Alice in Chains or The Green Mile and then have the hole be relevant to the name was just a real experience. It is a private course, but all you need to do is call for a reservation (phone number is on the course page) and it costs $5 per round.

That was the most fun I have ever had playing Disc Golf. It was incidentally my 1000th round and I have now played 154 courses.

Does anyone else know if there are any other courses out there like this?

DSCJNKY 04-18-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donovan (Post 803761)
That was the most fun I have ever had playing Disc Golf. It was incidentally my 1000th round and I have now played 154 courses.

Wow. 154 courses in 1000 rounds... that's gotta be some kind of record.
I probably played 1000 rounds before I played 3 courses.
DSCJNKY

DSCJNKY 04-18-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donovan (Post 803761)
Does anyone else know if there are any other courses out there like this?

The Redwood Curtain (Humboldt University) has named holes...
"sidehill battle"... "skwid row"... "cross roads"... "Tunnel Vision"... etc...

Don't know if that's what you meant.
DSCJNKY

tmahan 04-18-2011 10:05 PM

The Woodshed at Paw Paw is a series of aptly named holes.

Donovan 04-18-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSCJNKY (Post 803787)
The Redwood Curtain (Humboldt University) has named holes...
"sidehill battle"... "skwid row"... "cross roads"... "Tunnel Vision"... etc...

Don't know if that's what you meant.
DSCJNKY

Do all the holes fall under one theme or are they just named holes? Do the holes reflect the names that is given to them?

DSCJNKY 04-18-2011 11:48 PM

Well sure...
Sidehill battle is a downhill shot with a severe right to left (down) sloping hillside... with RHBH hyzers getting punished.

"Tunnel vision" is a tunnel shot. Trees right and left... limbs to go under... and a little hill to go over.

"Skwid Row" is basically another tunnel shot. Uphill between two rows of trees (kinda). There's also some homeless camps in the woods nearby... so the name is appropriate. (although skwid is the nickname of a local player... so I guess there's some double meaning there).

"Cross Roads" is a hole that plays to both a "cross road" in the course (Hole 4 / 5 / 8 / 9 cross here) and the trail system that goes throughout the park.

There are others...
DSCJNKY

DSCJNKY 04-18-2011 11:53 PM

Here's a picture of "sidehill battle":
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_i...371&p=f88b1175

And, "Tunnel Vision":
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_i...371&p=ca1789b3

DSCJNKY

Smokin' Joe 04-19-2011 09:57 AM

I've never played the course, but the PDGA Master's Tourney was played there recently. The owners are kewl peeps. I'll get down there soon, but not soon enough! :)

solomon.trenton 04-19-2011 10:21 AM

this is something i want to do when i buy enough land to make a course except have it after greek gods

Donovan 04-19-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSCJNKY (Post 803989)
Well sure...
Sidehill battle is a downhill shot with a severe right to left (down) sloping hillside... with RHBH hyzers getting punished.

"Tunnel vision" is a tunnel shot. Trees right and left... limbs to go under... and a little hill to go over.

"Skwid Row" is basically another tunnel shot. Uphill between two rows of trees (kinda). There's also some homeless camps in the woods nearby... so the name is appropriate. (although skwid is the nickname of a local player... so I guess there's some double meaning there).

"Cross Roads" is a hole that plays to both a "cross road" in the course (Hole 4 / 5 / 8 / 9 cross here) and the trail system that goes throughout the park.

There are others...
DSCJNKY


OK, I get it. That is pretty cool that the holes are relavant.

What is the over all theme? Shawshank is a prison themed course. Is this course based on battles or famous war tactics or anything like that?

I've been to other courses where each hole has a special name. I like those. THey can be real fun. But I hadn't seen a course or read about another course where the whole place is based on one theme like this.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.