Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bag Suggestions & Feedback (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Jdw80550 Bag thread (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37849)

jdw80550 06-11-2011 09:22 AM

Jdw80550 Bag thread

So I've decided to put together one thread and simply update it. (I know should have thought of this a long time ago)

RHBH, FH only if I absolutely have to, thumber to say I can throw one.

Drivers
Z Surge, 166g, Max Distance Driver (420')
S-PD, 172g, Long hyzers, straight with good fade, most winds (400')
Champ Orc, 169g, Everything disc, long hyzers, long annys, hyzer-flips (440' farthest ever, most 410')

Fairway Drivers
Opto Trident, 175g, Wind, skips, and spikes
Champ Glo Gazelle, 175g, Same thing as the S-PD only shorter (360')
Champ Glo Gazelle, 170g, Straight without turning over (375')
Opto River, 173g, Annys and hyzer-flips (400')
GL River, 175g, Same as the other, but breaking-in to be super flippy long

Mids
S-GM, 175g, Same line as the Gazelle, but I can really throw this hard without blowing by holes that I do with the Gazelle (325')
Z-Buzzz, 172g, Gentle hyzers, straight, annys that come out at the end
Z-Buzzz SS, 174g, Annys and hyzer-flips
ESP Zone, 175g, Trouble disc, FH approaches, spikes, reliable approaches (270')

Putters
Grip Pure, 174g, Main Putter and Approach disc
HPP Voodoo, 174g, Back-up, straight driving holes, when I start to feel like I'm in a funk I switch over to it for putting duties (simply a mental thing)

I was very upset the other day b/c I went to the field with my old high speed stuff, thinking, "Yeah it's time to bust them out." Yeah it's not time, Orc and Surge were making it as far as the Nukes, Katanas, and Havocs.

Couple of questions:

1. I found I really like the Pure, can anybody recommend a reason to get a Zeroline or just stick to the Grip?
2. I don't really have an overstable distance driver, but between the S-PD and Trident do I really need one?
3. I'm debating on putting a fuse back into my back, any reason to keep the SS and a Fuse?
4. Thoughts from people that carry multiples of discs in different plastics, is there a specific reason to carry a C-PD(tried the P-PD, not for me) and/or Pro or Star Orc?
5. I throw a lot of annys, is there an amazing anny disc that I'm missing?

Thanks for all the help!:thmbup:

GarrettDN 06-11-2011 10:23 AM

2. I don't really have an overstable distance driver, but between the S-PD and Trident do I really need one?

I would argue that you don't. I kind of have the opposite approach. The only reeeally overstable mold I carry is the Opto Blitz. One highly overstable mold is usually enough, or you are getting into kind of specialty shots with a disc. I'm sure you'll get different opinions, though.

Buzzzzzzzz SS vs. Fuse: If you aren't on the course going, "Man, I wish I had the fuse for this shot," then you don't need it.

As for the super-high speed stuff vs. what you are currently throwing: If you put a lot of snap....wait, let me rephrase.....if you put a lot of clean spin on the disc (specifically really get the RPMs up) you will see less of a differance between speed 11 and 13 than someone who is primarily using arm speed to motivate the disc.

norcaldisc 06-11-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw80550 (Post 876643)
5. I throw a lot of annys, is there an amazing anny disc that I'm missing?

For throwing a disc with anny release and holding the line I love me the ESP Avenger SS. For an "amazing anny" a Vision is the best distance driver hyzer flip disc I've ever come across. That disc flips up and tracks right like none other. It truely does the work for you and that's right out of the box.

jdw80550 06-11-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarrettDN (Post 876676)

I would argue that you don't. I kind of have the opposite approach. The only reeeally overstable mold I carry is the Opto Blitz. One highly overstable mold is usually enough, or you are getting into kind of specialty shots with a disc. I'm sure you'll get different opinions, though.

Buzzzzzzzz SS vs. Fuse: If you aren't on the course going, "Man, I wish I had the fuse for this shot," then you don't need it.

As for the super-high speed stuff vs. what you are currently throwing: If you put a lot of snap....wait, let me rephrase.....if you put a lot of clean spin on the disc (specifically really get the RPMs up) you will see less of a differance between speed 11 and 13 than someone who is primarily using arm speed to motivate the disc.

This was my thinking for the OS part, I just don't know how many really long throws I would need for me to carry something faster than what I've got, that's not to say I don't have them on the ready just in case;)

I was hoping you would tell me to get the Fuse back out, but no I'm not missing the lines, just the sweedish plastic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcaldisc (Post 876682)
For throwing a disc with anny release and holding the line I love me the ESP Avenger SS. For an "amazing anny" a Vision is the best distance driver hyzer flip disc I've ever come across. That disc flips up and tracks right like none other. It truely does the work for you and that's right out of the box.

What plastic do you like the vision in? I've tried the Avenger SS and it just didn't click right with my turned and burned alittle too much.

Also I've thought about picking up another Buzzz, either Cryztal or ESP, comments.

GarrettDN 06-11-2011 06:23 PM

Haha...I feel you on the sweet swedish plastic. I have a Blitz in Opto and a GoldLine Fuse. Love them. And that blue GL is just fun to look at. My wife throws a color shift.

As an aside, I think the SS and OS idea Discraft is going with is ver clever for two reasons. 1) It tells you where to look for an understable/overstable compliment to a disc. 2) It makes people feel like they are still allllllmmmmooosssst only using one mold for say a Buzzz and Buzzz SS when really the two discs could just as easily have a different name. And then we would all realize 100% it is two distinct molds.

I'm not hating on that, I actually think it is clever.

That said, for reason number 2 above, it doesn't surprise me that the Avenger SS turns and burns. It isn't really like an Avenger according to me.

I think recommending an anny disc is probably the hardest disc to recommend to someone else, because throwing style for an anny is very different person to person. I will say for a touch anhyzer, an X-Xs is a great disc. You can introduce just a nudge of OAT and you can really affect the point at which it will flip. A Q-JLS is an option, too, if you are going to release it a little anny (I think they are harder to throw a touch anny with, but I throw a small hyzer flip as a general rule).

I will say the Q-JLS doesn't turn and burn after it starts it's turn as much as the X-XS. For that reason I use the X-XS when I need to put it on a high anny line where the disc has a little time to come out of it if need be. And while the JLS is my go to straight fairway driver, it will initially hold the line so well it works great for an anny shot where I actually release it anny.

Wow. That was a lot of typing.

norcaldisc 06-11-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw80550 (Post 877010)

What plastic do you like the vision in? I've tried the Avenger SS and it just didn't click right with my turned and burned alittle too much.

A couple friends and I have Opto Visions, haven't tried the gold. This disc is very understable on distance drives. If you like to flip then you will love this disc. If you anny release it is rolling. The Avenger SS is nothing like the regular Avenger. If the SS is too understable maybe a pro valkrie might be up your alley. The Pro valk can handle power with an anny release and hold the line IMO. I'd say it's a notch more stable than the SS. Many people on this forum swear by sidewinders and roadrunners.

jdw80550 06-11-2011 11:30 PM

Curious as to what are peoples thoughts on the new Pro Orcs, I figure if I like using the Orc I have now would a new Pro beat in well. Haven't thrown one since they came out, so interested.

jdw80550 06-27-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw80550 (Post 876643)
Drivers
Z Surge, 166g, Max Distance Driver (420')
Champ Orc, 169g, Everything disc, long hyzers, long annys, hyzer-flips (440' farthest ever, most 410')
Star Orc, 169g, Little more stable than the Champ, better fade on it.
Pro Orc, 170g, trying to beat this into a super long anny disc.

Fairway Drivers
GL River, 175g, Same as the other, but breaking-in to be super flippy long

Mids
S-GM, 175g, Same line as the Gazelle, but I can really throw this hard without blowing by holes that I do with the Gazelle (325')
Crystal Buzzz, 173g, Hyzers and straight shots (new lost the other Buzzz:thmbdown:)
Z-Buzzz SS, 176g, New SS that is bridging the gap till the new Buzzz breaks in then I'll take it out
Opto Fuse, 177g, Replaced the Buzzz SS understable duties

Putters
Grip Pure, 174g, Main Putter and Approach disc
HPP Voodoo, 174g, Back-up, straight driving holes, when I start to feel like I'm in a funk I switch over to it for putting duties (simply a mental thing)

Z Magnet, 172g, Main putter, little more stable than the pure and floats a little better
S Voodoo, 174g, Driving and long up shots putter

Thanks for all the help!:thmbup:

So I made a few changes to the bag, added a couple Orcs and threw the Fuse back in b/c I was missing the amazing annies. Let me know if you feel I'm missing something or have too much of something.

jdw80550 07-09-2011 05:32 PM

Blue= newly added

Drivers
Star Orc, 169g, Little more stable than the Champ, better fade on it.
Pro Orc, 170g, Max Distance 450ish (hit it today twice)

Fairway Drivers
GL River, 176g, Straight to slight anny

Mids
Z-Buzzz, 171g, Gentle Hyzers and straight shots
Opto Fuse, 177g, Replaced the Buzzz SS understable duties- Annys and Hyzer-flips

Putters
Z-Magnet, 171g- Putter and Aproaches
Z-Magnet, 172g, Same

I switched to the magnets b/c they felt a little more consistent in my regular putting duties.

I think I'm fairly set on my bag, the Gazelles, River, Trident, Orcs, Buzzz, Fuse, and Zone have been locked into position.

Debating on keeping the S-GM or replacing it, lately it hasn't been as stable as it was fresh, lost alot fade after a few tree shots, I may go back to the Wasp.

Also not entirely sold on the S-PD, it does it's job, but doesn't get used alot, I'm debating taking it out and adding maybe replacing with a FB or Pred, I don't know when these were in the bag they had the same issues the PD is having now, taking up space for the most part.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

jdw80550 08-08-2011 11:14 AM

So after a tourament this weekend I found I really like my set up. The PD is staying put, I used it quite a bit for some amazing hyzer lines.

The S-GM did it's job, but not sure it's needed, I keep it in for some windy days.

I added a Buzzz SS to fill the gap in between the Fuse and regular Buzzz, and was very pleased, my line up went to automatic anny with the fuse, straight with no left to right with the Buzzz SS, and straight with fade or hyzer with the Z Buzzz.

The only thing I found myself wanting was a distance driver that held a similar line to my River. The Orcs at that distance still had a little too much fade and ended up costing me a couple of strokes. Thoughts on this would be appreciated. I was thinking something like a Sidewinder, TD, or Archon.

I'm still trying to stay away from the real high speed stuff, b/c I found I did much better without it this year compared to last year when it was in the bag. I wasn't it the trees nearly as much and my score reflected that.