Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rules Questions & Discussion (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Can a spotter move equipment out of players way? (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40223)

Kaikias 07-18-2011 11:02 AM

Can a spotter move equipment out of players way?

Ok this has came up during the last two tournaments that we have had spotters on. Guy throws ends up behind the spotter. In the first tournament they guy asked the spotter to move his chair, because it was in the way of the guys next shot. The spotter did, only to have another player tell him that he canít move his chair out of the way. Talked to TD and came to conclusion that he shouldnít move his chair out of the way. Come up again last tournament, a player wanted to throw a roller and the spotters chair was in the way. Spotter didnít move it and the player got all bent out of shape. Both TDís backed him on it but after the round we had 3 TDís looking for the rule that this applies two. Really didnít come up with any real answer that applies to this. So what is the call here and what is the rule that it applies to.

My take on it is, that his chiar was in the same position when everyone else threw, and is considered part of the course.

ZBoazMobster 07-18-2011 11:05 AM

I still have yet to take my officials exam, but I am going to say the chair is not intended to be an obstacle.

giles 07-18-2011 11:10 AM

he should have moved the chair, probably the same guy on 6 that told me the majority of my disc was out of bound so my disc was ob. He knows better now, but it was funny to me at the time. "this is a b-teir so if most of your disc is ob, you are ob, and I've spotted in 6 tournaments" I kept it to myself but I was think, "we play that game, I've played in 43 events including an NT."

Kaikias 07-18-2011 11:10 AM

I guess to add to it, his chair was there before the round started both times.

Kaikias 07-18-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giles (Post 920903)
he should have moved the chair,

What rule would apply to this? Not trying to argue just want some kind of direction.

trifocal 07-18-2011 11:18 AM

I'd apply some variation of the courtesy rule.

As a player, I'd ask the spotter that if he wasn't gonnna move the chair...that he sit back down in that chair and let me throw over him and the chair.

MoonT4 07-18-2011 11:24 AM

My opinion and it is just that, is that the chair is there for the convenience to the spotter between groups. It is not there as a part of the course and therefore should be moved. Now, if he was using a stump as a chair, then since the stump is a normal part of the course then it shouldn't be moved but a lawn chair is carried in, and placed, therefore it is not part of the course.

ZBoazMobster 07-18-2011 11:26 AM

803.05B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are in the stance or run-up area: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the director before the round. The player must first attempt to remove the obstacle. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the hole, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie, as agreed to by a majority of the group or an official (unless greater casual relief is announced by the director).

Mr. America 07-18-2011 11:26 AM

Being a rules noobie I would have thought that the chair should have been moved both times. It's not a part of the course and it wasn't set out to be an obstacle or anything.

ZBoazMobster 07-18-2011 11:28 AM

Meaning the final ruling is by the TD. I don't think a TD should allow the chair to be an obstacle.