Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Poison oak, poison sumac, poison ivy, chiggers, and ticks. A great way to be misery! (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4228)

Disc Dog 06-20-2009 12:26 AM

Poison oak, poison sumac, poison ivy, chiggers, and ticks. A great way to be misery!
 
On 2 different occasions my life has become an itchy nightmare. Because anyone can get one into the shule this can happen to any of us. So I figured I would pass along some lessons learned.

The first was chiggers. http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/wp...ds/chigger.jpg They cannot be seen by the human eye but nothing I know of itches worse. I was covered from my waistline down. I tried every remedy known to man. I found that nail polish and calomine lotion worked the best. The nail polish apparently blocks the air from contact and kills the egg that is laid and the lotion soothes it afterward.

Recently I got into some poison oak and while it did not itch as much the sores were nasty. I found that hydro cortisone helped some. But the best thing I did was to take a shower and immediately after, before even drying, to rub salt into the area. This drys them out, and yes it does sting some but the itching and sores are worse, and they can then heal. A buddy of mine will take a towel and get it wet and then cover it in salt and rap it around the area. This seems to work also. I also found that rubbing alcohol will dry them out but it stings more.

I just thought I would pass this on and see if anyone else had any thoughts or ideas.

REDARMY 06-20-2009 12:30 AM

plain ol' benadryl cream works plenty well for me afterwards.

during a game? just drink enough that you don't notice the itching :D

but yeah, shower and toss those clothes in the wash ASAP. and don't forget to wipe down your car seats/switchgear and bag and discs if you're REALLY covered in the stuff.

billnchristy 06-20-2009 12:31 AM

I found a tick on my hip the size of my pinky (width) yesterday...freaked me the hell out...I saw it coming out of the shower and thought I had an ingrown hair or something, later in bed I was fiddling with it and realized it felt more like a mole...then I saw it had legs....ACK!!!

Nasty f'n thing. Being in a hotel room I had no tweezers either...luckily my nails had grown a bit while away from home and I was able to pull it off with them.

The area has decreased in size to less than half in one day...I will keep an eye on it though. Bad part is it is right on my waistline so my jeans, underwear, everything irritates it...couldn't figure out how it got on there and I realized this morning when I packed up to leave the hotel that my bag sits right there...mustve crawled onto me from the bag.

Needless to say my ass is gonna be sprayed down from now on.

BrotherDave 06-20-2009 01:03 AM

Chiggers, nasty little buggers they are.

mashnut 06-20-2009 01:05 AM

I got a horrible case of chiggers from my ankles to my knees, those stupid little things itched for a couple weeks.

Despare 06-20-2009 02:59 AM

I've never had a tick or chiggers (knock on wood) but mosquitoes bug the crap out of me. That's about it though, I'm immune to poison ivy so I don't have to worry about that at least.

Airfishey 06-20-2009 03:16 AM

I recently got into some poison ivy or something along those lines. Needless to say, my legs have been itching like hell the past couple days. :mad: I'll be sure to try these out.

davidjd21 06-20-2009 03:38 AM

I'm super sensitive to ivy. If you think you've come into contact with any wipe the area with rubbing alcohol ASAP and then shower. Just soap won't get the oils off your skin.

Roc1Time 06-20-2009 11:18 AM

Chiggers are the number one reason that I bought 40$ pair of goretex socks. Those little bastards chant go through gore tex. Well worth the investment

rikardob 06-20-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Despare (Post 79718)
I'm immune to poison ivy so I don't have to worry about that at least.

I would if I were you.

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/poiso...poison_ivy.htm

"It is true that some people don't have an allergic reaction when they are exposed to poison ivy, but others don't have their first reaction until they are exposed multiple times. So it is very hard to truly know if you are really immune. It may just be that you just haven't had your first reaction yet, so even if you think that you are immune, you should still try to take steps to avoid poison ivy."

I was "immune" to it all my life until 2 years ago I got the biggest breakout I've ever seen while cutting down a tree surrounded in the vines.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.