Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vacations & Road Trips (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Best time of year to play the upper Northeast (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64546)

DSCJNKY 06-03-2012 07:08 PM

Best time of year to play the upper Northeast

Hello DGCR'ers...
I am planning a road trip to go to play the entire northeast section of the United States: Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, and maybe New York).

I was telling some friends about it earlier today, and they warned me that the Black Flys were "in season" right now and July wouldn't be a good time to go.

So... is that true? and if so, when is the best time to go?

Thanks,
DSCJNKY

Jay Dub 06-03-2012 07:13 PM

September would be the best time for new England. The tourist season is over, things are a bit cheaper and the weather is great.

I lived in Ct for 1-1/2 years.

bradharris 06-03-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 1438649)
September would be the best time for new England. The tourist season is over, things are a bit cheaper and the weather is great.

I lived in Ct for 1-1/2 years.

That was going to be my answer. The weather is still warm, not too rainy and the bugs are pretty mild.

discNDav 06-04-2012 02:03 PM

October is great if you time it right with the 'fall foilage' season, I did a New England DG trip in late Oct 2007 it was simply beautiful. The hotels tend to fill up so plan ahead.

Peterb 06-04-2012 04:58 PM

the problem with fallen fall foliage is that it can make finding your disc very difficult if any of them are yellow, orange, or red.

bradharris 06-04-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterb (Post 1440321)
the problem with fallen fall foliage is that it can make finding your disc very difficult if any of them are yellow, orange, or red.

The dead leaves can bury discs of any color too. The leaves aren't too bad in September, but if you come in October, it's definitely a concern. Especially considering most New England courses are heavily wooded.

DSCJNKY 06-04-2012 10:43 PM

We're thinking about postponing the trip to September... but that causes some confusion with the girlfriends vacation days from work.

Are the black flys really that bad? She does hate bugs.
DSCJNKY

sloppydisc 06-05-2012 11:33 AM

September is perfect. Leaves won't be too bad until late Sept or early Oct. Plus temps are perfect for warm fires and cold beers. I will be up in that area for 2 weeks in Sept. I'll probably be in Saranac, NY for at least 1 week. Possibly Lake Champlain area the other week. I'd be up for meeting at Hyzer Creek and/or Joralemon one day if you are swinging through that area. Or maybe even in Vermont.

Yes, black flies are bad. One of my buddy's from NY had a girlfriend that kept trying to go on one of their hunting trips every year. So they took her during black fly season. She never asked again.

bradharris 06-05-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSCJNKY (Post 1440866)
We're thinking about postponing the trip to September... but that causes some confusion with the girlfriends vacation days from work.

Are the black flys really that bad? She does hate bugs.
DSCJNKY

I've never had much of an issue with black flies. It's the mosquitoes that get me. Right now they are really bad, but in August and September they seem to be less bothersome.

DSCJNKY 06-05-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sloppydisc (Post 1441443)
...They took her during black fly season. She never asked again.

Hmm... interesting idea.

JK... if I didn't bring her along then I'd not get to go on any myself. So, fewer bugs is better in this situation.

DSCJNKY