Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Course Design (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Design acumen and the design-minded (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70347)

Dave242 08-13-2012 01:07 PM

Design acumen and the design-minded

This post got me thinking.....not that I have seen many of these types of poorly designed holes, but rather it got me thinking about the minds of those that have designed courses and those that aspire to in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denny ritner (Post 1556667)
just like how course designers can make holes that cause discs to be thrown over roads into oncoming traffic, go over fences into neighbors' yards, have the majority of beginners lose their plastic in the water, are wide open and pointless, or are wtf random pinball adventures through the woods. the problem isn't with "par" it's with designers.

Acumen is "the ability to judge well; keen discernment; insight". What sort of design acumen and/or design experience gathered outside of disc golf course design will most likely result in the best courses?

New013 08-13-2012 01:12 PM

i'd think anybody with a background in spacial design of any kind would have an advantage; even if you're talking about residential architects.

Cgkdisc 08-13-2012 01:15 PM

Three things that helped me were experience in game design, playing blindfold chess and participating in the sport of orienteering prior to disc golf.

mashnut 08-13-2012 01:25 PM

I can definitely see the orienteering helping, I did quite a bit of that growing up including designing orienteering courses for beginners.

Dave242 08-13-2012 01:34 PM

Very interesting on the orienting. Are the helpful skills in something concrete or more spatial/abstract? I have only done Orienteering using topographical maps, but never competing....so I'm most likely completely ignorant of the organized sport.

sidewinder22 08-13-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New013 (Post 1556799)
i'd think anybody with a background in spacial design of any kind would have an advantage; even if you're talking about residential architects.

Architects are great at creating problems.

BogeyNoMore 08-13-2012 01:41 PM

Interesting question - curious to see what else is said.
:popcorn:

curmudgeonDwindle 08-13-2012 01:47 PM

they say that landscape architecture is an old man's profession, because of the experience needed to make projects a legitimate success from multiple standpoints and the network of people needed to make it happen. most golfers are primarily concerned with their personal conception of play value for a course. a successful course's design involves much more than that. in other words the skill most likely to yield a great course is not a skill, but the gestalt of skills in the designer.

Dave242 08-13-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder22 (Post 1556844)
Architects are great at creating problems.

Especially true of those without "real world" wisdom. Some really nifty designs can lack functionality, efficiency, durability, maintainability, manufacturability, etc. Or they might excel in one area and fall flat in all others. An important question is "who is this design for and what is it intended to accomplish for them?"

mashnut 08-13-2012 02:35 PM

Something else that might be useful is landscaping experience to understand how various foliage and terrain will react to foot traffic and what types of plants will make god obstacles or reasonable amounts of maintenance.