Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rules Questions & Discussion (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Measuring Tapes (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70916)

aardvarkious 08-20-2012 02:16 PM

Measuring Tapes

Some people carry tape measures, largely to get disc out of trees. I was reading the rules trying to figure out if it is legal. Here is what I found in 802.04:

Quote:

A. During a round, a player shall not use any artificial device that may assist in making a
throw, except those devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape,
bandages, gauze, etc.) and medical items (such as knee and ankle braces, etc.). Items used to prevent slipping on the teeing surface are also allowed. A player is specifically prohibited from using any artificial device that changes the position of the disc in the player's hand or artificially lengthens any of the player's throwing levers (fingers, wrist, arm, shoulder, etc.). The use of devices which assist in determining distances over 10 meters , such as range finders and GPS devices are prohibited. Measuring devices such as a tape measure may be carried and used to determine distances 10 meters and less for the purpose of rules enforcement.

B. A player shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if, during any portion of a
round, he or she is observed by two players or an official to be using or carrying an artificial
device that is determined by the director to violate section 802.04 A. A player who uses an
artificial device after it has been determined by the director to be in violation of 802.04 A
has also violated Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual and shall be penalized accordingly.
This makes it sound like having a measuring tape that is over 10m is illegal: "The use of devices which assist in determining distances over 10 meters , such as range finders and GPS devices are prohibited."

However, this makes it sound like a measuring tape of any length is legal as long as you don't use it to measure a distance greater than 10m: Measuring devices such as a tape measure may be carried and used to determine distances 10 meters and less for the purpose of rules enforcement.

How do all of you read this?

Buchajs1 08-20-2012 02:19 PM

Smart thinking. I would say that you can carry any length tape measure just not use it for measuring a distance longer than 10 m

stan_84 08-20-2012 02:21 PM

i think you cant use tape measures and gps to "scout" how far you have to the hole, getting a disc out of the tree with said tape measure i do not believe that is illeagal as long as you are not using tape measure to see how far you are away from an obstacle or the pin unless you are determining the 10m to the basket for your falling putt rule.

rocthecourse 08-20-2012 02:21 PM

Pretty sure most people are only carrying 25 foot or less tape measures. The Fat Max being a popular one since it is so rigid.

bradharris 08-20-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aardvarkious (Post 1569871)
Some people carry tape measures, largely to get disc out of trees. I was reading the rules trying to figure out if it is legal. Here is what I found in 802.04:

This makes it sound like having a measuring tape that is over 10m is illegal: "The use of devices which assist in determining distances over 10 meters , such as range finders and GPS devices are prohibited."

However, this makes it sound like a measuring tape of any length is legal as long as you don't use it to measure a distance greater than 10m: Measuring devices such as a tape measure may be carried and used to determine distances 10 meters and less for the purpose of rules enforcement.

How do all of you read this?

I read it the same way you do. Any tape measure is fine, but don't use it to measure beyond ten meters.

The intent of the rule is to prevent players from getting out a tape measure to figure out just how far they have to go to reach the pin because that would majorly slow down play. But for borderline putting circle calls, the distance can be measured quickly to determine if a jump putt is legal or not.

jrawk 08-20-2012 02:23 PM

I carry a fatboy 25ft tape measure for disc retrieval purposes. I can honestly tell you extending it farther than 12 feet to reach in water or up into a tree is near impossible.

1978 08-20-2012 02:32 PM

You can carry 358 range finders in your bag. You just can't use them to find ranges. Same with anything else over 10m.

aardvarkious 08-20-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1978 (Post 1569911)
You can carry 358 range finders in your bag. You just can't use them to find ranges. Same with anything else over 10m.

No you can't

"A player shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if, during any portion of a round, he or she is observed by two players or an official to be using or carrying an artificial device that is determined by the director to violate section 802.04 A."

Presumably this is so that players can't sneak a range finder onto the course and try to use it when no one is looking.

krupicka 08-20-2012 03:41 PM

That rule needs to be updated since almost every smart phone has built in GPS.

Cgkdisc 08-20-2012 04:12 PM

It sounds like the rule is being updated (pending PDGA Board approval) where GPS and rangefinders will be legal to carry and use starting Jan 1, 2013. You still won't have more than 30 seconds to throw when it's your turn.