Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Course Design (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   UNC DGC hole #10 (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71559)

BrotherDave 08-28-2012 01:16 AM

UNC DGC hole #10

Is this a poorly designed hole? If you park at the softball parking lot entrance like most non-students it's the second hole you play.

When this basket is in the long position, it seems like a monumental task to get a 3, mostly b/c the combination of trees at the bend and sharpness of the bend is hard to navigate.

Thoughts from those that have played it?

_MTL_ 08-28-2012 09:02 AM

It's certainly not a good hole by any stretch of the matter. Very flukely and a weird angle.

It's about a 4 of 10 when it's in the shorts, but about 2 of 10 when in the longs.

At least in the shorts if you pure the line and get it around the corner, you deuce the hole. I even hit the basket on this hole in the air at Tar Heel Tournament.

But in the long, it's about as impossible as it gets to get there and a great drive leaves you about a 75 foot approach. The same person who just threw an average drive has 150 feet in. Both players get 3's and there is no skill rewarded. At least in the short pin that drive that is 75 feet short of the long pin is a tap in 2 and the guy who is 150 feet short gets a 3.

This is a classic example of a hole being shorter but being harder, because it's way harder to get a 2 on the short pin than it is a 3 on the long pin.

But all that said, by far the worst hole on the course.

New013 08-28-2012 10:53 AM

it is a crappy hole in the long.. not really a fan of the 10-12 stretch at all. i wish they could redo all of it.

BrotherDave 08-28-2012 04:18 PM

Yeah, I like how the best drives I've seen/had on that hole (in long pos.) always leave you with a little hill to get over and a murderer's row of trees to get past. :\

I've all but given up on that hole.

New013 08-28-2012 11:14 PM

****, you're doing great if you have that left. nevermind that roots and stumps right in the fairway before; the ones that if you hit you bounce 50ft either way and find yourself in jail.

hophead 08-29-2012 12:47 PM

While this is not my favorite hole it's certainly not as bad as these posts indicate. It's actually a good score seperator in many cases, especially in the long position. I would prefer to be warmed up before playing it instead of the 2nd hole you will face as BD said.

There is a pretty nice line up the right side for the bigger arms to hit if going for the deuce. Last time I played two guys got putts at it and one hit their putt, one didn't. If you hit an early tree at the 1st gap you most likely will make 4 but easy to try and do too much and take a 5. If you just want to go for the conservative 3 which means hitting the gap and leaving a 100-150 ft upshot as mtl stated that's still a tight line and no guarantee.

Not a great hole but a very challenging hole. I've seen many blow ups here and you can quickly shoot yourself in the foot during a cash round if you miss that first gap.

New013 08-29-2012 02:34 PM

no.... it's pretty bad.

though we should really just bitch about 12... that hole is disgustingly terrible.

BrotherDave 08-29-2012 02:41 PM

12 isn't terrible, it's just pretty unexciting. I've shot myself in the foot on that hole bunches of time, usually b/c of weird wind gusts coming out of nowhere and making my anny fade back into the nasty. The little row of chopped pine trees in the middle are a little strange.

New013 08-29-2012 02:50 PM

it's just ugly and thrown in there to get from 11 to 13; and in no way fits in with the rest of the course.

BrotherDave 08-29-2012 07:06 PM

I can see how it seems like a filler hole but at least it has some interesting geography. 12 and 3 are pretty similar to me, 3 just doesn't feel like a filler hole b/c it has a dinky pond to throw over. But the dropoff on the left of 12 does the same for me. The only thing I hate is the transition to 12, somebody cut some steps into that hill b/c that feels like a hike in August. :( :o