Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Saint vs. TD (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73340)

discddwn 09-30-2012 12:59 AM

Saint vs. TD

How do these compare? The Saint for me is very straight with minimal fade. From what I have read of the TD (specifically S) it would be real similar. I'm curious to know from people who've thrown both or how a S-TD flys at 350' max for those who throw them. I use the PD as well as the TD2 and I like both a lot and was thinking about picking up some more discmania.

dehaas 09-30-2012 09:28 AM

From my experience the std will have a touch more high speed turn and the saint will have a touch more fade. I liked the saint but the glide was almost too much for me, I was throwing it just a few feet shorter than my swords on average. The pd and td both power down well so I decided to go back to that combo and don't regret it. I use them on shots in the 350-390 range, and find the td flies best at those distances on a slight hyzer...it just flips to flat and likes to ride.

I use the fuse/warship/pain combo and have recently taken out all my fairways and jump straight to the td/pd and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. For me a heavy vip warship is just as workable as a fairway with just about the same distance.

discddwn 09-30-2012 08:14 PM

Currently I'm using a Saint to fill in the gap between my Rivers and PD's and was wondering if a S-TD might be a better fit or would it be too close to a River. I really like the anhyzer top and thought it might be nice to have a similar feel among my drivers because as I said earlier I'm also bagging the TD-2 for now as well as a P-PD, S-PD and C-PD.

BrotherDave 09-30-2012 08:34 PM

I don't have much experience with either but I've thrown a stiff S-TD (174g I think) and a GL Saint (high 160s). The Saint definitely had more wiggle in it (turn) and more glide whereas the TD flew a lot like a faster TL, really straight and a bit of fade if you didn't launch it.

I wouldn't think there would be much of a gap between your PDs and Rivers, especially since you have P-PD. :confused:

whentherainscome 09-30-2012 09:00 PM

Yeah, not much gap there. I was tossing my GL Saint v my PPD the other day, on the same hole. I could get the Saint on a lower line with less horizontal movement than the PPD, and I walked up to find them roughly exactly the same distance.

I've never thrown a TD before, but I hear them recommended as a disc that's something like a new - well, more of a used-but-not-beat - PPD, but with a longer lifespan. That is what the Saint is feeling like to me.

discddwn 09-30-2012 09:01 PM

Not distance wise but fade wise..big gap. Rivers for me are just nice straight finishing discs whereas the PD's have a decent amount of fade to them. My P-PD is real stiff and has not yet developed any turn so it has more fade than needed sometimes. The Saint kind of fits in there for that slow forward fade I'm looking for, but like you say it does turn a little in mid flight. I guess I'll just pick up a TD and find out for myself to be sure. I'll have some Saints in the marketplace if the TD's are what I'm looking for. Thanks!

whentherainscome 09-30-2012 09:17 PM

IDK what Rivers you have, but my heavy Optos don't finish straight (they fade) even at 350, and hold great hyzer lines. My GLs are a completely different story though.

It shouldn't take long for that PPD to start flippin. I don't cycle discs through at any sort of rapid pace, but I picked up a new PPD w/in a couple months of getting my first. The first one is a great disc and still has a healthy fade when it slows down, but it's got a lot of turn to it.

I'd be curious to know how the TD works out.

BrotherDave 09-30-2012 09:21 PM

You could easily get a P-PD to do what you want I think. Those stiff P-PDs, especially with dome, are great, wish I had one. But any P-PD that is flattish and/or gummy is pretty straight and Saint-ish right away.

discddwn 09-30-2012 09:28 PM

I have a 171g GL River which is flat as a pankcake (not typical for Rivers) which is used for turnovers and powered down hyzer flip straight shots. Very flippy. My mainly used River is a 168g opto that has very little turn when thrown flat and will carry a low line drive straight to the ground at 350'. I am hoping the PPD will eventually start turning some but for now she's just straight.

discddwn 09-30-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 1629272)
You could easily get a P-PD to do what you want I think. Those stiff P-PDs, especially with dome, are great, wish I had one. But any P-PD that is flattish and/or gummy is pretty straight and Saint-ish right away.

I'll keep working the PPD but it definitely has more fade than my Saint right now.