Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   An Exercise in Mediocrity: The Plight of the Intermediate Disc Golfer (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73570)

throwfromthewoods 10-03-2012 09:18 PM

An Exercise in Mediocrity: The Plight of the Intermediate Disc Golfer

For anyone interested, I wrote a small opinion article on the joys of being an intermediate disc golfer!

Feel free to let me know what you think, it's an open article so I can edit it whenever I choose.

An Exercise in Mediocrity: The Plight of the Intermediate Disc Golfer

c_a_miller 10-03-2012 09:40 PM

That was fantastic. Side question about HubPages: Do you get paid per view? If so about how much?

burdphil 10-03-2012 09:48 PM

Enjoyed that very much. Thanks.

dmbrun2 10-03-2012 09:56 PM

i loved this article

BADman 10-03-2012 10:02 PM

Hey man great write up.

Can I make a suggestion? I like your informal writing style, but if you tightened up the slang I think you could share this with a larger audience.

Either way really cool read man!

discgolfcrazy 10-03-2012 10:02 PM

i like it(y):thmbup:

Lewis 10-03-2012 11:24 PM

I like it too. One thing I would like to see is a clearer thesis to hold the theme together. It seems like somewhere in the middle, the essay changes focus and never quite brings it all together satisfactorily for me.

But the idea, that having fun is more important than leveling up your rating as fast as you can, is right on. If Steady Ed was right, the happy weekend chucker is more of a winner at disc golf than a semi-pro who struggles for years to wring a few more ratings points out of his limited talent, but who forgets how much fun disc golf can be, even if you are bad at it. It has taken me a few years to come around to the wisdom in your article, so I'm glad to see you sharing it. :thmbup:

Johnny_Crunch 10-04-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lewis (Post 1633934)
I like it too. One thing I would like to see is a clearer thesis to hold the theme together. It seems like somewhere in the middle, the essay changes focus and never quite brings it all together satisfactorily for me.

But the idea, that having fun is more important than leveling up your rating as fast as you can, is right on. If Steady Ed was right, the happy weekend chucker is more of a winner at disc golf than a semi-pro who struggles for years to wring a few more ratings points out of his limited talent, but who forgets how much fun disc golf can be, even if you are bad at it. It has taken me a few years to come around to the wisdom in your article, so I'm glad to see you sharing it. :thmbup:

This!

TylerM 10-04-2012 08:39 AM

Really enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing!

DGRZ001 10-04-2012 12:50 PM

Next you need the viewpoint of a DGer who is rated as an Intermediate, but now is on the decline. Someone who would have been 1000+ rated if there were ratings 25 years ago, but still plays even though Father Time has dictated that their rating will slowly degrade.