Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   When you first started, what was your disc acquisition strategy? (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73603)

nnelson42 10-04-2012 02:46 PM

When you first started, what was your disc acquisition strategy?

I haven't been playing long (~3 months), but I now own 11 discs (12 if you include a DX Zephyr, but we use that before rounds to warm up):

DX Starfire
DX Valk
DX Gazelle
DX Leopard
DX Roc
DX Stingray
Star Mako
Pro D Buzzz
DX Aviar P & A
DX Rhyno
Pro Yeti

Other than the Star Mako and Pro Yeti, I haven't spent over $8 on any disc. I am fortunate enough to live near a disc golf store so I have had a chance to touch and feel the more expensive plastic, but between feel and cost (and not knowing completely what i'm doing) I decide to buy a bunch of cheap molds to try out.

Is this how most people start off? Am I doing a disservice to myself by messing around with a bunch of different discs?

I still will go out and play putter rounds by myself, but I usually bring the whole collection when I'm out on the course with my buddies.

nnelson42 10-04-2012 02:51 PM

Let me clarify

DX Starfire (almost never use)
DX Valk (go to driver)
DX Gazelle (longer range shots that need to be straight to left)
DX Leopard (longer range shots that need to be right to straight)
DX Roc (most used midrange disc)
DX Stingray (shots that need to turnover right)
Star Mako (just got it)
Pro D Buzzz (just got it)
DX Aviar P & A (first putter)
DX Rhyno (easiest disc to flick currently)
Pro Yeti (just got it)

BigSky 10-04-2012 02:52 PM

My strategy was to buy every disc ever made.

Oh wait, that's still my strategy. :D

onemilemore 10-04-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSky (Post 1634835)

Join the club. It's one hell of a slippery slope, isn't it?

barneco 10-04-2012 02:53 PM

At the very first opportunity, I bought a Groove.

nnelson42 10-04-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

ha! I feel you on that one!

I have stuck with innova early on here because they provide the greatest amount of information on their discs...from disc characteristics in 4 categories to actual flight charts. Makes things much simpler.

chrishysell 10-04-2012 03:00 PM

When I started out there wasn't a huge choice of discs. I went to a store and bought one of each of the lightning, innova and discraft discs and I played a round of golf with them and wrote their characteristics on each one. There were only about 10 available molds of each brand at that time.

BrotherDave 10-04-2012 03:03 PM

I started out with a trip to Dick's at the behest of my buddy whom discovered the game. I ended up with a Valk, an Eagle (which I hated), and a Shark, all DX. After I realized I didn't have a putter, I got a DX Aviar (which I hated). Castle Hayne's trees rendered these pretty useless in quick fashion. I proceeded to be misinformed by an Innova Flight chart at PIAS and picked up a Star TeeRex that I couldn't throw at all. Eventually, I learned to FH it decently and picked up a Sidewinder for BH. I quickly dropped the Aviar for a SSS Warlock, then a SS Warlock. At some point I ended up with a Champ Aero, a DX Roc and a Star Coyote. More trial and error with drivers and eventually I found this site and discaroo and I lived in the marketplace long enough to try just about every mold out there.

rd.bittle 10-04-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

And I thought I was special/unique. :thmbup:

ManU 10-04-2012 03:12 PM

no strategy
bought anything and just about everything
(looked at the flight chart..."I need a disc that does that flight"...while not being able to achieve such a flight with my ability)

only now do I have a strategy
because only now do I know what my throwing abilities are
because I have developed those abilities
and I know what discs I like