Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   From long term players: Knee pain? (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73634)

thePiRaTE 10-05-2012 12:27 AM

From long term players: Knee pain?

Hi all,

I've been playing this game off and on over 15 years (more off than on) but I've noticed after a recent uptick in playing that my right knee (I'm RHBH) gets fairly sore. In fact, it's a lot 'crunchier' than my left all the time now, I've just wondered recently how much if any of that might have to do with torque while throwing. Has anyone else has made a similar correlation? I'm feeling as I age that working on a solid forehand will extend my longevity.

Regards,

Kelly.

Bultx1215 10-05-2012 12:34 AM

Yes, I have knee issues from time to time. Forehand does help me quite a bit some days. Saves my shoulder and knee.

thcdisc 10-05-2012 01:42 AM

Knee pain check, shoulder pain check, back pain check, I just try n stretch before and after rounds and limit myself to one round a day. Getting old sucks!!

General Scales 10-05-2012 01:47 AM

I have knee pain but I very highly doubt that it's from disc golf. Having snowboarded and skateboarded for 15 years, I'm pretty sure that caused it. At least, I hope it's not to be blamed on disc golf.

Tiny 10-05-2012 02:01 AM

My left knee hurts as a RHBH thrower... but it's from being overweight, and throwing tons of discs each hole when time permits, and bending over awkwardly picking them up. It's starting to hurt less with my sweet new grip bag :D

JoshEpoo 10-05-2012 02:07 AM

Knee pain can be directly related to disc golf. Good general fitness and good balance during your throw are both helpful in preventing knee issues.

If your knee is feeling "crunchy", it sounds like you may need to rehab it a bit by resting and then working on flexibility, balance, and strength in your legs and core. It's natural for muscles to become imbalanced over time and to lose the [approximate] symmetry that keeps your joints oriented and moving correctly. If you don't mind, how old are you? How would you describe your fitness level?

thePiRaTE 10-05-2012 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshEpoo (Post 1635710)
Knee pain can be directly related to disc golf. Good general fitness and good balance during your throw are both helpful in preventing knee issues.

If your knee is feeling "crunchy", it sounds like you may need to rehab it a bit by resting and then working on flexibility, balance, and strength in your legs and core. It's natural for muscles to become imbalanced over time and to lose the [approximate] symmetry that keeps your joints oriented and moving correctly. If you don't mind, how old are you? How would you describe your fitness level?

Hi, sure: 39 (big 4-0 in Dec...) 5,9", 170lbs. Best described as average. On my feet a lot in the day, out a lot on the weekends, but not athletic. When climbing stairs I use my left leg to push off with to take the load off my right knee as it grinds. Throwing isn't as bad for it as climbing stairs, but I know by the end of a long day of rounds that I've played on it.

I wonder in a carpel tunnel sort of way if the repetitive motion over the years could be a contributing factor. I injured my back about 8 years ago which led me to change to squat and lift heavy items using my knees rather than my back, but I haven't done any one thing to the knee to cause alarm. DG and stairs are the only two common and repetitive motions I regularly perform using it in a strenuous fashion.

Thanks for thoughts. BTW, I had neck pain at one point which was solved by realizing I held my phone too low, too long. Often there are solutions to these problems!

K.

DavidSauls 10-05-2012 07:25 AM

Welcome to middle age. And it only gets worse.

Of course, there are a myriad of possibilities for knee pain. Including disc golf; I know some players who are much more affected by concrete tees than other tees, because a good concrete tee is grippier when pivoting.

But start with stretching and flexibility. You lose flexibility as you age---yes, even you 39-year-old kids---and as the tendons and ligaments get tight, the joints hurt. My knee pain got so bad in my early 40s I trudged down to the orthopedist to see if surgery would help. He diagnosed my hamstrings being too tight, sent me to rehab to learn some stretching exercises, with the result that my knees had less pain in my early 50s than they did in my 20s. (This means regular stretching regimen, not just stretching before playing).

P.S. My apologies for that "middle age" crack.

dusty5150 10-05-2012 08:29 AM

YES. I just started to notice it this year. I'm 39, been playing for almost 15 years. I'm positive the pain is a result of the disc golf throw. What I've done is (after watching a video of my crappy form) to try and slow down a ton, shorten my run up, try to get more hip rotation and pivot on my heel. The first three have been pretty straight forward to accomplish, and have definitely made a difference. Heel pivot eludes me, and I may give up on that altogether. One thing I've also done is instead of pivoting all the way around, I'll pivot so I'm forward and then kind of hop off my right foot and land on my left (more pronounced when throwing anhyzers). I'm sure it looks funny, but it seems to work for me.

I went to see my doctor and she said no one would scope my knee because of my age and symptoms (no swelling). She said my only course of action is to change the motion.

Bultx1215 10-05-2012 10:22 AM

My knee pain existed before I took up DG in the late 70's. Its a baseball injury that was reinjured in '85/86. DG just irritates it some days. I do hurt it more on concrete tees, too. Back issues won't let me pivot correctly, thus more knee stress. Not going to let it stop me though. Just have to shift to all FH on occasion.