Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tournaments (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   PDGA OB (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73652)

Jaysen 10-05-2012 03:50 PM

PDGA OB

Did the rule change?

JReynolds 10-05-2012 03:56 PM

No, why would you think it did?

Jaysen 10-05-2012 04:08 PM

In the US Disc golf Champions On a OB throw they have to throw over from the spot they threw from.

wake911 10-05-2012 04:15 PM

TD can do what they want, they removed the penalty shot, and just a rethrow with no penalty shot, just the shot you used to throw OB.

JC17393 10-05-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaysen (Post 1636369)
In the US Disc golf Champions On a OB throw they have to throw over from the spot they threw from.

Special exemption just for the USDGC. Although they didn't need it. All they had to do was call all OB a bunCR instead, which is allowed as a special condition. They've done it in the past on select holes, now it's on all holes.

KDFrosty 10-05-2012 05:45 PM

Yup, re-throw without a stroke penalty for entire USDGC.
McBeth had 9 re-throws in his first round alone I believe.

Jax11 10-05-2012 06:03 PM

At OP: I believe there are now 4 different general ways of playing out of bounds, at least that I know of

Point of Exit - The one we all are used to, play your next shot from where your OB shot was last in bounds and receive a 1 throw penalty.

Drop Zone - Any throw on a given hole that goes OB, the next throw shall be played from a designated drop zone with a 1 throw penalty.

Stroke (Throw) and Distance - Every shot that goes out of bounds is played from the previous lie with a 1 throw penalty. Stroke (Throw) = OB penalty throw. Distance = playing from previous lie.

Distance OB - All OB throws are subsequently played from players previous lie with no throw penalty.

I believe they are playing for the majority Distance OB style at USDGC.

Also, I know there are variants of each of the styles I pointed out, for example a TD may designate for a certain hole that you play stroke and distance for your first tee shot then any subsequent OB throws are played in the "point of exit" style.

Hope this helps explain the OB.

Someone correct me if I am wrong so we get correct info out there on the interwebz.

Cgkdisc 10-05-2012 06:47 PM

The waiver was needed to call this year's USDGC rule an OB rule. It's really Special Condition rule 804.01B applied everywhere, sometimes called the extreme buncr rule. The only waiver really needed is allowing players to get one meter relief from these Special Conditions areas because that's not directly in the rulebook and needed to be specified. (In other words, there's no automatic 1 meter relief from casual hazards, you normally just get to the edge.)

Discwrangler 10-05-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDFrosty (Post 1636437)
Yup, re-throw without a stroke penalty for entire USDGC.
McBeth had 9 re-throws in his first round alone I believe.

Wow, 9 errant throws in one round used to be a bad thing. Tournament has gone soft.

flash86 10-05-2012 09:09 PM

Agreed. Last time pros played in 2010, it was penalty stroke plus distance for going OB and a bunch of them complained. They went back to the "soft" BUNCR rule this year so their feelings wouldn't get hurt. If you don't want to re-throw with a penalty stroke added, then don't throw OB.

If the ball golf pros complained about the heavy rough at the US Open, do you think the USGA would cut the grass for them so they could have lower scores? NO.

The additional penalty increases overall scores and a lot of guys were upset about not being able to shoot -15. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discwrangler (Post 1636578)
Wow, 9 errant throws in one round used to be a bad thing. Tournament has gone soft.