Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I think I have a problem, I'm addicted to plastic! (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76018)

JonathanXz 11-15-2012 11:16 AM

I think I have a problem, I'm addicted to plastic!

So as I'm sitting at work, shopping online stores the irony hit me that when I started three months ago, part of the appeal of this game was "how cheap it was compared to ball golf, and that it's free to play once you have your discs. Hell, I only need a putter, a midrange and a driver!" Oh how naive I was.

Here I sit three months later with I don't know how many discs, I'd ballpark in the 30's or 40's, I really don't want to count!

I only have a couple of discs that I don't throw at the moment, a couple high speed drivers that I'm not ready for, that I purchased when I was uneducated.

I know I have more than I "need" but that somehow doesn't stop me from wanting to try and throw everything!

Does anyone out there empathize with me? I'm not looking for a support group or anything because if this is my vice then I'm ok with it ;)

nolangherity 11-15-2012 11:23 AM

yes everyone on this forum.

prerube 11-15-2012 11:25 AM

40 molds would imply overlap. Grab 10 and only play with those 10are for the next 2 months, then add 2 more.
Do not get rid of any yet. As you improve, your throw will change and discs you do not like now could be perfect for you later.
you will be suprised how much less you will buy when you are comfortable with a few, but we have all been there. I was there for 5 years.

davmer2303 11-15-2012 11:25 AM

Speaking for myself...Money just falls out of my pocket when I'm looking at discs...Ceratainly you're not alone.

ohtobediscing 11-15-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonathanXz (Post 1690906)
.......Does anyone out there empathize with me? I'm not looking for a support group or anything because if this is my vice then I'm ok with it ;)

This IS a support group.:popcorn: Thanks for sharing with us, Jonathan. :clap:

DiscJunkie 11-15-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prerube (Post 1690921)
40 molds would imply overlap. Grab 10 and only play with those 10are for the next 2 months, then add 2 more.
Do not get rid of any yet. As you improve, your throw will change and discs you do not like now could be perfect for you later.
you will be suprised how much less you will buy when you are comfortable with a few, but we have all been there. I was there for 5 years.

Great advice, but you'll ignore it.
We all did/do.

Still, try to concentrate on a few molds and use them to cover your different throws.
Here's an example:
Like the TeeBird?
Get a DX, Champ and a Star, also look at the TL, which will similar in the hand.
Also go to the MP and get some used and in different weights and plastics.

Last, save yourself some money and buy from the Marketplace. If you don't want it later, come back to the MP and sell it.
Think of it as a rental, instead of a purchase.
Also, you can help support the biggest plastic addiction group in the world...

cjowo 11-15-2012 12:32 PM

My addiction has subsided a little, but I've been itching for some new plastic lately.

JonathanXz 11-15-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prerube (Post 1690921)

That is great advice and I appreciate it. I'm trying to play with the same set to learn them in and out. I wold say a good third of my molds are putters. I had a difficult time finding a putter that I really liked. I've finally found it in the Yeti.

I do have a lot of overlap as well as the same mold in different weights/plastics. When I first started (and found some advice) I played with only a Buzzz and a Magnet. I fell in love with the Buzzz and own 4 now, overlap? Yes of course, but one if I lose one! Two are Z in different weights, 1 is Ti (which I love by the way) and 1 has a stamp on it from the site that I bought it, I'm not sure what the plastic is, but it has a pinup disc golf girl on it so I had to have it!

I probably don't need 3 eagles a TL and a Teebird when I only. One of the Eagles is an opaque champ which I've never seen before so I love it, one is a DX that I'm trying to beat in. I don't throw the TL I should probably try and trade or sell it. I should probably try and trade a lot of my stuff, maybe that will be an extention of this wonderful hobby for me!

The people in this community (Not just DGCR) seem pretty awesome.

Memphis Newbie 11-15-2012 12:45 PM

I have been trying to limit my number of molds and disc down. I had over 30 discs (not in my bag) and then I won more than 30 discs in a tournament raffle a month ago. I thought that for sure I could stop buying discs now. Sure enough there are a couple discs in my shopping cart online and I'm itching to click "checkout"

Phantom Discs 11-15-2012 02:03 PM

I played for three years buying every disc i could. Then i found out what discs i like to use. Now i just buy those ones over and over. Plastic addiction!! Great thread to read is how many backups do you need. The answer to that is unlimited.