Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Start Line or Final Target/Curve (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76254)

iacas 11-19-2012 12:26 PM

Start Line or Final Target/Curve

So far as I can tell aiming in disc golf is similar to aiming a shot in golf, and scientists (and psychologists) have tended to identify two ways of aiming a golf shot (a fade or a draw) or a breaking putt.

For example, on a breaking putt, some people will choose where to aim and then effectively hit a "straight" putt at that aiming point, letting the ball curve from there. Others will sort of envision the curve of the putt as a whole, and so they'll say they're aiming to "curve" the ball into the hole.

For the purposes of this conversation the first people are considered "linear" aimers and the second "non-linear." Or, to put it another way, the first kind of person is a "start line" aimer and the second is a "finish position aimer."

Note that both may hit the same putt and aim in the same spot (they'd have to to make the same putt), but how they feel they aim is very different.

So that's what the poll question asks: are you a "start line aimer" or a "finish position aimer"? Does it change based on the type of throw you've got? Maybe you start line aim everything except your big sky hyzers and your jump putts.

Curious what people think...

P.S. Didn't see a previous thread on this, but I only searched for a four minutes, so merge if there's already one out there please.

bradharris 11-19-2012 12:30 PM

I adjust my aim point to account for movement I know the disc will do. For putting in particular, I like to aim high and to the right knowing my disc will drop and fade.

iacas 11-19-2012 12:32 PM

Some more examples: let's say you're throwing a control driver on a slight hyzer line. Do you look at the landing area and envision the disc starting out right and swooping into the landing area, or do you look at a tree to the right and try to start the disc there and let it swoop away from the tree towards the landing area?

Or let's imagine an anhyzer line through a gap in the trees off the tee.

Do you look at the gap and know that the disc will curve right to the target after going through the gap, or do you look at the target and know that you have to start the disc left enough that it'll hit the gap before going to the target?

(Those last two may sound very similar, but I hope to have explained things well enough that it makes sense, because people tend to see things one way or the other and not as "the same".)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradharris (Post 1695718)
I adjust my aim point to account for movement I know the disc will do. For putting in particular, I like to aim high and to the right knowing my disc will drop and fade.

That sounds like you'd vote "linear/start line aimer". Thank you.

Brokensaint 11-19-2012 12:38 PM

I aim for placement, trying to account for the discs natural path

Brokensaint 11-19-2012 12:39 PM

Aha. Start line. Get the disc past a certain point, then let it do what it does

jtreadwell 11-19-2012 12:43 PM

I try to envision my entire shot from start to finish, so maybe a little of both? I don't see a gap and think "just hit the gap at an anhyzer". I see a gap and think, "Hit the gap right in line with that leaf in the background then have the anhyzer kick in and pull the disc right, just to the left of that other tree, then start to fade, hit the ground in that area over there, then skip to the green." I think out the whole shot and gauge my chances of hitting all the aspects of the shot perfectly, then consider the repercussions of failure at any given point in the shot and adjust to minimize unnecessary risks. This is likely the result of playing at a heavily wooded course so often. I'm not sure which of the two my complicated analytical process would fall under... Edit - sounds like Non-linear actually.

bradharris 11-19-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtreadwell (Post 1695747)
I try to envision my entire shot from start to finish, so maybe a little of both? I don't see a gap and think "just hit the gap at an anhyzer". I see a gap and think, "Hit the gap right in line with that leaf in the background then have the anhyzer kick in and pull the disc right, just to the left of that other tree, then start to fade, hit the ground in that area over there, then skip to the green." I think out the whole shot and gauge my chances of hitting all the aspects of the shot perfectly, then consider the repercussions of failure at any given point in the shot and adjust to minimize unnecessary risks. This is likely the result of playing at a heavily wooded course so often. I'm not sure which of the two my complicated analytical process would fall under... Edit - sounds like Non-linear actually.

It sounds like you're referring to more of the decision making aspect of the game. The original question is about once you've selected the right disc and shot, how do you actually aim the throw?

jtreadwell 11-19-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradharris (Post 1695761)
It sounds like you're referring to more of the decision making aspect of the game. The original question is about once you've selected the right disc and shot, how do you actually aim the throw?

But that all IS how I aim... I try to control every aspect of the shot and leave myself a certain amount of leeway for each "portion" of the throw. I guess I just don't understand the question.

renoob 11-19-2012 01:01 PM

I voted linear, although I think everyone envisions the entire shot at some point or else you're kind of flying blind. Once I've envisioned my big hyzer around the trees though, I say, "ok, to create that line I have to throw at that point there (somewhere along the path, usually the apex but not necessarily) with the disc at this angle and it will do what I pictured."

The Hammer 11-19-2012 01:18 PM

I do both. I generally use the linear method for longer shots. I use the non-linear for most of my finesse shots and upshots.