Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Disc Golf Courses (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   California courses (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76759)

icedpuck 11-27-2012 08:33 PM

California courses

If I were to go vacationing in Cali what area has the best courses and affodable lodging?

CrashnBansh 11-27-2012 09:19 PM

I am biased in this opinion but I would say the Monterey Bay area. DeLaveaga, Oaks, Pinto Lake, Ryan Ranch, Black Mouse, Cypress, Aptos High and a couple smaller courses. Reasonable lodgings can be found in that area. Find somewhere to stay in Watsonville and you should be in great shape and save a little coin. I am now living in the Central Valley a hundred miles away otherwise I would offer you lodging. Hope this was helpful.

bneely 11-27-2012 09:31 PM

Another spot to look at is the Penn Valley / Grass Valley / Auburn / Rocklin area outside of Sacramento, in terms of a combination of good courses, cheap(by Cali standards) lodgings.

elevated plastic 11-27-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bneely (Post 1707072)
Another spot to look at is the Penn Valley / Grass Valley / Auburn / Rocklin area outside of Sacramento, in terms of a combination of good courses, cheap(by Cali standards) lodgings.

I agree with this. Great courses and cheaper lodging than alot of Cali. If your vacation is in may-oct come to tahoe and play 9 courses and camp. Or there is reasonable lodging all around the courses. There's also the option of staying in Reno and driving a half hour up to the lake.

Billym 11-27-2012 09:44 PM

When are you going, that matters. Santa Cruz Monterey are expensive in summer. Grass and Penn and Auburn are close to the snow line in winter.
There is a Motel 6 in Watsonville that is about $50 a night just minutes from Pinto. Ryan and Oaks and 3o minutes south tops and Dela, Aptos are less than that traveling north.

timothyasteele 11-27-2012 09:45 PM

Big question...Have you ever visited CA before and if not, do you want to actually do anything while visiting or just play Disc Golf?

If you've never been here before, you should fly into San Jose and then hit the coast and play all the Monterey/Watsonville/Santa Cruz courses, check out the ocean, eat some good seafood, etc.

Or, you could fly into San Francisco, stay at a motel in Daly City or somewhere cheaper than SF, and play Golden Gate Park, Stafford Lake, Skyline, Moraga, and enjoy some fun in San Francisco.

If you've done the tourist thing, or just want to play a lot of courses, then fly into Sacramento and stay in a cheaper neighboring town (Dixon, Roseville, Loomis, Auburn) and play all the great courses up that way - Shady Oaks, Condon Park, Auburn Regional, Hanging Oaks, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you want further info. Born and raised in CA, and I've played most all the local courses in Norcal.

Tim S.

icedpuck 11-27-2012 11:13 PM

Main reason is disc golfing and to catch up with a few friends, was thinking Monterey before I posted, may have a free place to stay there and usually can get a cheap flight there from Chicago.

tomsdiscs 11-28-2012 12:13 AM

If course flow matters, some courses are relatively open all the time (Ryan Ranch, Oaks, Pinto Lake), others are usually crowded and slow moving (Delaveaga, etc).

urwatuh8 11-28-2012 12:50 AM

A few things that would help:
- what time of year will your trip be?
- where do your friends live?
- how long of a trip? how many courses do you want to play?

masterlurk 11-28-2012 01:57 AM

I would suggest northern cali over southern cali. as there are more courses i think with better quality and its easier to get around. You cant go wrong with monterey bay or bay area. can't give word on sacramento.