Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Not your average Roc vs Buzzz throwdown. (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77712)

beeftrout 12-13-2012 12:44 AM

Not your average Roc vs Buzzz throwdown.

Premise: Disc Speed Limited round/tournament. Nothing faster than a midrange. No limit on how many you can carry. No other rule changes. What do you throw and why?

Rules: Discs may be no faster than a traditional* mid-range. Speed 5 or lower. A Gazelle is a speed 6 and is a definite example of a fairway driver that would be considered "over the speed limit" for said round.

Discussion:
What are some of the tweener discs out there that push the limits of the traditional midrange, without invading on fairway drivers' territory.
--ex: Not sure if a stratus is a driver or a midrange in terms of todays game (it was originally, if not still, marketed as a long range driver). Other discs that come to mind that push the limits of midranges upwards would be the Meteor or Impact from Discraft.

A quick peek at the inBounds guide shows the Scout as the longest flying midrange at 327' and there are a many fairway drivers including the glide, whippet, and viper that are pegged around 300'. (http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431)

What sort of advancements or differences from your current mid-ranges would you start off with?
--For example, I'd be dying to try a 150 class hornet to see if it could be a bomber of a midrange!

Hypothetically you're playing a course that will demand every shot in your bag and where you would normally not dream of leaving your drivers in the trunk.
-- Or not, maybe there is a certain type of course you would think could best express mid-range proficiency. In my mind this does not include just mid-ranged shots, but shots where you're trying to stretch the limits of your disc.

Its a very obscure line between midrange and fairway drivers in todays game, but if some basic laws were set I'd love to organize an event that pushes the Roc vs. Buzzz rivalry to another level.

TL;DR Time machine invented. Disc golf ingenuity is unborn and innovation becomes stagnant leaving us with only with stump-winged mid-ranged flyers for all of time.

ps I've not touched on putters but I'd like to kind of lump them in here working under the assumption that in a parallel universe the PDGA set the maximum wing much, much lower than the current 2.5cm. Feel free to include them in your what and why!

*I realize there is a huge generational gap here. Many folks playing the sport for longer than I've been alive could point out that the definition of mid-range is constantly changing.

Huk Finn 12-13-2012 12:51 AM

Warship is labeled a 6. I would argue its fair game. Looks and feels like a mid. After all Westsides 14 speed King most people consider it a 13.. I'll take 2 Warships and a Wizard.

beeftrout 12-13-2012 12:55 AM

Missed the edit window: I don't mean to start another one of those "list your fav 3 midrange" threads, rather a discussion that invokes situations that wouldn't occur without a limit on disc speed. Sports car racing limits engine output, this is along the same lines. Its meant to increase competition for more specific groups as our sport grows! Can't throw a nuke? Why not show that you can throw a teebird better than the big armed guy. That sorta thing.

(not bashing any posters here, just encouraging discussion!)

Huk: I saw the warship up there on the inbounds guide but I havent thrown em. Looks cool! I'd definitely be taking at least 3 mid-ranged molds in varying weights paired with my usual zone/wiz/aviar combo.

plex 12-13-2012 01:03 AM

Axis any day.

MrGlass01 12-13-2012 01:09 AM

id roll axis pain warships. flirting with the vector. the axis has all but kicked the leopards from the bag and that is saying a lot. Powered down or up the axis is just amazing. The warship is my cheater disc!! Easy distance. I can throw my mids way better than my drivers and can play most of the courses around here with just mids and putters, i do all the time and love it.

jongoff09 12-13-2012 01:13 AM

I'd keep my mid/putter lineup the same as I have it now plus a super overstable mid thrown in since currently I use a xXx for that slot. So...
Something super overstable
Vector
Domey axis
Flat axis
Fuse
Ion
Anodes
seasoned Aviar
beat Aviar

beeftrout 12-13-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGlass01 (Post 1729132)
id roll axis pain warships. flirting with the vector. the axis has all but kicked the leopards from the bag and that is saying a lot. Powered down or up the axis is just amazing. The warship is my cheater disc!! Easy distance. I can throw my mids way better than my drivers and can play most of the courses around here with just mids and putters, i do all the time and love it.

Damn, the Warship is sounding more enticing! My power-up/down disc is my fuse. Well, it doesnt power up as well as it does glide further with a high ceiling and proper form!

This was stemmed from my monthly mid-range and lower only round. I left feeling inspired!

General Scales 12-13-2012 01:23 AM

I like the premise, I think it would be easy to see this work in a tournament. My line up if there was no limitation on how many I could have would be:

New ESP Comet
Tuned ESP Comet
New Z MRV
Tuned Z MRV
New Hornet
Turned Hornet

Grip Line Spike x2
Zero Line Spike x2

MrGlass01 12-13-2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeftrout (Post 1729142)
Damn, the Warship is sounding more enticing! My power-up/down disc is my fuse. Well, it doesnt power up as well as it does glide further with a high ceiling and proper form!

This was stemmed from my monthly mid-range and lower only round. I left feeling inspired!

a flatter warship can be a fuse but way less touchy. it relplaced the fuse in my bag.

Huk Finn 12-13-2012 01:40 AM

Warship is legit. I'm rockin' a VIP 170 and a 179 Tourney. Plastics could be swapped in those weights but so far so good. The Squall is a good underrated disc worth mentioning. I don't use it, but I can vouche for it.