Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tournaments (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Minnesota's First Legacy Discs Ace Race (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77826)

smarkquart 12-14-2012 05:58 PM

Minnesota's First Legacy Discs Ace Race

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I can already start taking Pre-Registration now if you are ready. The disc it looks like we are scheduled to use will be Pinnacle Patriots, but I will know more closer to tournament time.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8076/8...58974b9317.jpg

g2avity 12-14-2012 06:23 PM

My home course. I'll be there!

g2avity 12-14-2012 06:27 PM

Ok, 2 rds of 18 holes minimum? Where the extra six baskets going in? Will the original 12 baskets be in play (some tough aces there!). Also, I helped out Don Parker quite a bit with course maintenence this summer...so I'd be down to help you with anything you need for set-up, clean-up, etc.

Cgkdisc 12-14-2012 06:31 PM

I'm pretty certain several of the extra baskets will be placed to turn holes like 8 into three ace runs. There will also be shorter tees flagged on some of the holes. That's how the ace race works. Almost every hole is under 225 with some as short as 75-100 feet.

smarkquart 12-14-2012 07:48 PM

This is all tentative and subject for our league to discuss, but here would be my proposal.

Hole 1 - leave as is.
Hole 2 - temp tee in front of shorts
Hole 3 - temp tee in front of shorts
Hole 4 - leave as is
Hole 5 - move up tee by 30 feet
Hole 5a - throw along patch between Hole 5 basket and long hole 6 tee
Hole 6 - shorts
Hole 7 - long tee to temp basket at bottom of stairs
Hole 7a - temp tee somewhere on left shooting to Hole 7 basket
Hole 8 - long tee to basket on bridge
Hole 8a - short tee to somewhere near turn
Hole 8b - tee somewhere near Hole 9 long tee to hole 8 basket
Hole 9 - long tee to two large trees across creek
Hole 9a - somewhere near or on short tee as long as not in line of fire to Hole 9 basket
Hole 10 - leave as is
Hole 11 - shorts
Hole 12 - long tee to two trees at gap.
Hole 12a - somewhere near picnic basket on right to Hole 12 basket

There would also be room from bridge by Hole 1 to shoot at Hole 1's old location, and Solberg's Hole 13 but with a little modification.

Anyway, that is my plan. We plan to have a handful of Patriots within the next week and if the weather cooperates during winter break, then we should be able to get out and do some testing.

smarkquart 12-14-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g2avity (Post 1731976)
Ok, 2 rds of 18 holes minimum? Where the extra six baskets going in? Will the original 12 baskets be in play (some tough aces there!). Also, I helped out Don Parker quite a bit with course maintenence this summer...so I'd be down to help you with anything you need for set-up, clean-up, etc.

If you want in on the planning committee, send me an email. It is listed on the flyer. Some time during the winter break we are going to have a sit down and discuss everything we need to do. This will be our third ace race, first one for Legacy, so we have a good idea what we need to do, but we are always looking to improve.

smarkquart 12-19-2012 07:26 PM

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8364/8...b62fbae092.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8362/8...d83ee42132.jpg

Here is the disc we are going to use for the tournament. I cannot guarantee color or stamps as of yet, but I have two in possession and I am going to head out this weekend to give them a good testing.

g2avity 12-19-2012 08:48 PM

Let us know how they throw. My guess would be something between a Buzzz and a Teebird for distance with similar control. I'm sure there are reviews somewhere around here but I'm too lazy to look. I'd rather just speculate for now. Ha.

lion 12-19-2012 09:59 PM

Hope this helps

Icon Patriot: this plastic causes the patriot to be less stable then the other two patriots I tested. This disc is extremely easy to throw and shape shots with. I feel very comfortable throwing this disc on drives that require tight lines and quick turns and will also glide longer. Great utility disc aswell, great for rollers and precise upshots. Plenty of grip in the plastic and durable aswell. Can be thrown well with less power.

Pinnacle clear Patriot: this disc feels like a slower turning version of the icon patriot. Goes just as far, but the turn in mid air is slower and smoother. Feels like that fairway driver you beat in and is your go to disc. Plastic feels more durable and is. Thrown with a little hyzer it stands up and turns, then comes back. Requires more power then the icon version. Feels more dependable over longer distances with the not so dramatic turn possibilities as the icon version could have. I felt very comfortable throwing this disc at any power level. Not a roller disc, but a pure fairway bomber.

Glitter pinnacle Patriot: this patriot was by far the most stable version in the bunch. Thrown hard with hyzer it would pop up and go with little to no turn. Very good anhyzer disc that will hold for a long time and come back at the end where the other two didn't seem to as much. Plastic is durable and eye candy for sure. I also liked forehanding this disc on shorter precise holes. Great forehand roller.

My predictions are that the patriot will be Legacys best seller soon.

I threw all these discs today 15 times each with no wind, 50 degree weather, and at 2400 feet elevation.

smarkquart 12-19-2012 10:24 PM

I do not have the measurements of the course yet because my measuring wheel does not work well in snow, but I am guessing most holes are between 150-220. Since they are shorter, we do not have any blind shots or really tight corners. If you know Plymouth Creek, several of the "longs" usually have one tight pinch point, blind corner, or hard corner. The shorts are far cleaner shots, but only one or two of them are now completely open (Hole 6 for example).

A disc that remains controllable, stable, but neutral straight will be a huge asset at this Ace Race. Most shots will require squeezing between trees or holding a line for most of the way. I really am excited about holding this tournament at this course.

At the long tees, though, the Rival performed beyond what I was expecting. I am not sure if the Patriot can top it on the long holes, but we will see and hopefully this weekend.