Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Course Development (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Disc Golf on Ball Golf Course (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78007)

Sadjo 12-17-2012 03:09 PM

Disc Golf on Ball Golf Course

I have been approached by a community owned ball golf course to add Disc Golf hoping it will create enough additional revenue to help off set the cost of operations. It's a 9 hole Ball Golf Course. It features lots of elevation, enough trees to keep it interesting and water in the form of two ponds and three small creeks.

Here are the options I'm considering including on the proposal...

1. Duel tees & one basket per hole

2. Duel tees & two baskets per hole (choice of playing long of short basket location from either tee)

3. Two sets of duel tees & two baskets per hole (play one round of tees & baskets first time around and different set of tees and baskets second time around) This would utilize one side of fairway for one round and other side of fairway for the 2nd time around the course. There is enough room and separation to make this happen.

4. Two sets of duel tees & two baskets per hole (play two Disc Golf holes per one regular golf fairway. You would play 18 holes over the course of 9 ball golf holes.)

I've been asked to get it done for about $10k. That would cover the cost of the targets and tee material. The design would be done by me or another local player and the installation would be done by employees of the course.

I know we can fit 18 Disc Golf holes on to 9 ball golf holes but what's the best way to make it work, if we add 2 baskets per ball golf hole?

who-dat 12-17-2012 04:04 PM

Will the 'duel' tees be equipped with 'dueling' pistols?

Dual tees might be helpful to your idea though.

Sadjo 12-17-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by who-dat (Post 1735809)

Thinking of having red and blue tees. We can even use the cart path for even more tees, if needed.

keltik 12-17-2012 04:18 PM

do you have a map of the current course?

dashiellx 12-17-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by who-dat (Post 1735809)

:clap:

Homemade Lovin' 12-17-2012 04:21 PM

Check out the layouts for Goat Hill in Oceanside, CA plays on an 18 but good layout. Or even better is Spring golf course in Spring, TX Plays 18 holes on a 9 hole ball golf course. Good luck and I hope that dual course catches on because I hate driving by an empty ball golf course when us Disc golfers could be using that space.

anborn 12-17-2012 04:31 PM

just cause there is a golf hole already, doesn't make it a good dg hole. if the installed course isn't worth $$$ to play it, they won't be getting any repeat business and will have just sunk $10k to make their problems worse.

i'ld treat it as a completely blank property. utilizing features of the golf course where it makes sense, but also utilizing the woods and other features that may be on course, but not apart of a current bg hole. i'd be willing to bet none of the "best DG holes" on your course will match any of the current BG holes.

harr0140 12-17-2012 04:40 PM

PM sent Sadjo . . . I am willing to discuss this including showing you some design ideas I have for certain golf courses.

Without seeing a property it is hard to know how good it will be, but if you can send me an address or name of the golf course I will scout it out on google maps.

BionicRib 12-17-2012 04:52 PM

Getting it to flow properly with the actual golf course isn't easy.

I would recommend talking with Steve West or Dana Vicich as they have some experience involving disc golf on ball golf courses.

What tee surfaces are you proposing? If you are using concrete IMO, unless you know a guy who knows a guy.....yada yada. I highly doubt you could get dual concrete tees, targets, reasonable tee signs and other miscellaneous costs for less than 10k.

Without knowing the location its really hard to give advice. PM me if you want me to take a gander at it.

I would also suggest staying out of the golf fairways as much as possible if they plan to have disc golfers and ball golfers on at the same time. If disc golf is only going to be a seasonal thing then I wouldn't worry about that as much.

JC17393 12-17-2012 04:57 PM

First thing...DO NOT just lay out the entire DG course to follow the existing ball golf fairways. Utilize areas off the ball golf fairways where you can. Design the course like it's a completely blank canvas and make it a disc golf course that happens to share land with a ball golf course rather than making it a ball golf course retrofitted with disc golf targets. That should enable you to design a course that will have wider appeal. Frankly, I'd get bored just throwing down ball golf fairways the whole time.

That said, always be conscious of the flow of the ball golf course when you design. Make sure that in any areas where the courses cross paths, no one is doing it blindly. Last thing you want is disc golfers throwing and walking across fairways and unwittingly being in the line of fire of ball golfers, or vice versa.

I'd contact the guys at Petersham Country Club in Petersham MA. They've recently done exactly what it sounds like your course wants to do, and having played there, I can say they did it rather effectively. Probably 50% of the disc course is independent of the ball golf course (no conflicts of use) and 50% of it shares the ball golf fairways (usually just portions rather than the whole thing). But both courses begin and end in the same area (shared tee 1, basket 18/green 9 within 50 yards of one another and the clubhouse).