Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Value for money debate (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80710)

discgolfbandit 01-23-2013 08:49 AM

The Value for money debate

I know this is a topic Ive read on here in the past, but wanted to gauge peoples opinions on pricing/value, that have come up locally.

One event was run, $25 a head. Players pack was a base plastic, standard disc. 20 players in total, 4 divisions. Each div winner took home a $20 voucher and an event trophy.

Is that good value for money? Is that the norm?

Way I see it, 16 people paid 4 people to take trophies and vouchers home with them for very little gain themselves. I know it shouldnt be the case of getting $25 worth of stuff for your $25, but its gotta at least be better then that, no?

Related subject...trophies for smaller events...yay or nay? Obviously if its a cheap, simple, fun option, or a pre-existing trophy, I got no problems. But spending $40-60 of the pool on trophies to me is a little odd...do CTPs etc instead.

Thoughts?

bradharris 01-23-2013 08:57 AM

It's amazing to me how much demand for transparency and need to feel like you're walking away with something there is in disc golf. The tournament experience itself has huge value, but nobody seems to want to recognize that fact. Player's packs, trophies, and payouts are nice, but when I pay an entry fee for a tournament, I'm paying for the chance to compete. What the TD does with that money is up to him.

discgolfbandit 01-23-2013 09:01 AM

I get that, but to what degree. I know you have a choice to play or not to play, but when there is not much else going on in town sometimes you either play or be left out.

Like I said, Im not saying you need to account for every dollar you put in...but its gotta be at least a dent in your investment Id like to think. Or at least offer something unique or intangible that doesnt 'have' a price or value....like a title, an advantage in other comps, season competition building to something etc.

discgolfbandit 01-23-2013 09:04 AM

If you are like me, knowing going in you are the 7th best player in your division, and 5 of them are way better then you...then going in you know you are just tossing your money into the pot. CTPs give something for everyone to play for OR handicaps make it a slightly even field. Miracles can happen, but unless I play down a division (which others did to better their chances at prizes, leading to bigger issues), I am SOL when it comes to a prize.

Other issue that created was equal prizes for all divisions, despite the fact 16 of the 20 players where in 2 divisions!

arcandor 01-23-2013 09:06 AM

It's a matter of matching player's expectations vs similar events, nothing more. If you have a better package for the average player, expect more to attend. If you have a less than average package, expect less.

bradharris 01-23-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discgolfbandit (Post 1805915)
I get that, but to what degree. I know you have a choice to play or not to play, but when there is not much else going on in town sometimes you either play or be left out.

Like I said, Im not saying you need to account for every dollar you put in...but its gotta be at least a dent in your investment Id like to think. Or at least offer something unique or intangible that doesnt 'have' a price or value....like a title, an advantage in other comps, season competition building to something etc.

Entering a tournament is not an "investment." Like I said, I'm paying to participate in competition. The extras (like prizes, ctps, players packs, etc) add to the overall value and might encourage me willing to pay more, but they're not necessary. It's free market, if you don't want to pay the price, don't.

_MTL_ 01-23-2013 09:07 AM

Oh, the “where does my money go” argument.

Well, the numbers should almost always work out. But there are many many many things that people forget about that are costs involved to run an event. For example, here are some common costs I run into when running events that have to come out of the total payout.

PDGA Sanctioning
OB Paint / Rope / Flags
Paper for scorecards
Paper for leaderboard cards
Ink to print scorecards / leaderboard cards
Ice / Water on the course
Course / Park Rental
Shipping of merchandise ordered

It adds up quickly.

discgolfbandit 01-23-2013 09:10 AM

Id rather play $5, can get no prizes, no players pack etc...then yet, it is all about competition and that is PERFECTLY ok. Soon as people throw out numbers like $25 for a smaller event, then yes, I expect some sort of return and potential to at least walk out of it not feeling like I paid for the winners trophies. I can play competitively for free every weekend, you want me to plonk down a quarter hundy...I gotta justify that to the minister of finance!

bradharris 01-23-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discgolfbandit (Post 1805934)
Id rather play $5, can get no prizes, no players pack etc...then yet, it is all about competition and that is PERFECTLY ok. Soon as people throw out numbers like $25 for a smaller event, then yes, I expect some sort of return and potential to at least walk out of it not feeling like I paid for the winners trophies. I can play competitively for free every weekend, you want me to plonk down a quarter hundy...I gotta justify that to the minister of finance!

So you're saying you value the tournament experience at $5?

Martin Dewgarita 01-23-2013 09:12 AM

Was it a charity event? (Ice Bowl?) or a Fundraiser event?

This time of year especially there's a lot of events that take a good % of the entry fees and donate them to the needy.

If you want a $5 competition, try a weekly league.