Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   tomahawk approach shots (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80788)

Stankyjahnke 01-24-2013 03:39 AM

tomahawk approach shots

i don't know if i'm weird but if i'm on an open field hole and im a 100ft to the basket i feel like i can get closer to where i want with a tomahawk insted of throwing backhand. just wondering if anyone else does this?

Bugz36984 01-24-2013 03:43 AM

Nope. Sounds crazy, and I would never have even thought to have tried that, but if it works for you, use it. 100ft open hole with no wind/tailwind, Ill just backhand a Ion up there, or headwind a piggie.

CBoyle 01-24-2013 03:46 AM

I use overhand shots for approach shots all the time. I release it at different angles and get all kind of skip shots, pancakes, and sometimes just throw it at the basket. I have a soft challenger that I only use for these kind of shots. The more overhands you throw in different situations the easier it gets to put it wherever you want.

JamesGC21584 01-24-2013 03:46 AM

I do it on uphill shots and through the woods

KDDEBOER 01-24-2013 03:52 AM

I've never been very good with Tomahawks, but I've seen a few guys who are incredibly consistant with them and will as you describe just toss one at 100 feet and park it under the basket. If it works, it works!

Tiny 01-24-2013 04:22 AM

I used to do it. On the long hole at my home course 450' I think. I played it once with all overhead. I parred it. I used to use it alot before my approach game was better. Now I don't use it but situational. Sometimes off the tee just for shiggles.

I'm a fan of thumbers more now than tomahawks.

Stankyjahnke 01-24-2013 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugz36984 (Post 1807606)
Nope. Sounds crazy, and I would never have even thought to have tried that, but if it works for you, use it. 100ft open hole with no wind/tailwind, Ill just backhand a Ion up there, or headwind a piggie.

ive never been able to throw putters as approach disc i cant grip them right my hands are too big. i often throw my mids too far. but tomahawking an r pro boss does it right.

DiscJunkie 01-24-2013 07:37 AM

I have a FLX Avenger SS that I use for thumber approach shots all the time.
It's spooky, almost. From about 150' in, I can park it every time.
I can only use it on holes where the thumber has space to work out and back in, but it's uncanny accurate.
There's another hole on my home course that I use a 10x Cheetah tomahawk approach because it allows me to get around a guardian tree and have the disc start back towards the basket. Shaves a stroke off my score just about every round.

DG addict24 01-24-2013 07:57 AM

Anytime I'm between 100-200 ft open or wooded I throw thumbers. Can stick them within 10 ft every time.

goosefraba1 01-24-2013 08:15 AM

I use a beat to crap dx stingray for tomahawks if I have a vertical barrier that I need to get over/ can't get around with a hyzer or anny. I like that if I throw it low I can pancake it to the right.... I I throw it low I can spike it left.