Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Throwing a driver that is too fast for you with an anhyzer (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81227)

MrDarkHorse 01-29-2013 09:45 PM

Throwing a driver that is too fast for you with an anhyzer

My brothers both do this and think nothing of it. (in fact, I think they think this is the "proper" way to throw a fast disc)

Is this just totally bad form, or is this legit?

I can see doing this if you want to get a nice "S curve", but it seems like a pretty unwieldy throw to me.

Thoughts? (thanks for helping the newb)

notroman 01-29-2013 09:57 PM

That's how I learned. It's terrible form that takes years of practice to unlearn if you ever take the game seriously, but if they just play it for fun then who cares.

bholy08 01-29-2013 09:59 PM

this is OAT. not really what you want. Kind of like shooting a basketball without learning to use your legs. Eventually, you will come to the realization that you are lacking an essential piece of the puzzle. Then comes the long process of breaking bad habits.

Dan Ensor 01-29-2013 10:10 PM

Totally wrong. Bad for accuracy, bad for distance, bad for the body.

You can't make them want better form, though. You can only make better form available.

kevdiv48 01-29-2013 10:14 PM

A couple of my buddies do this. Prime examples are throwing Bosses and Xcals with release points at 10 clock back hand and 2 or 3 o clock forehand.
I definitely did this for a while when I tried to throw Wraiths... I was told that was the right way to throw it to prevent it from fading.:doh:

mashnut 01-29-2013 10:19 PM

If all you want to do is go out once in a while and have fun with your buddies, that's a pretty consistent shot that doesn't take a ton of muscle memory and can get ok distance. If you care about shaping different lines and improving your overall form and distance then it's definitely the wrong way to go.

kyledstauffer 01-29-2013 10:26 PM

That my friend is called the wrist roll. It's when you're trying to crank a disc as hard as you can and your wrist follow through causes the disc to be released at an anhyzer angle. Used to have a major problem with it and am still having a hard time not doing it. As others have said...very tough to unlearn

bluedodger 01-29-2013 10:26 PM

I think this is a good way for a new player to avoid the frustration of n00b hyzers...for a while...eventually when lure of their shiny, thick-rimmed warp speed drivers fades away and the lack of distance they get becomes disappointing, I'd direct them to a slower speed fairway driver (river, leopard, etc.)...they'll feel like the kings of the world when they crank a Leo on a flat line for 300'!!

just my $.02

mashnut 01-29-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyledstauffer (Post 1818055)
That my friend is called the wrist roll. It's when you're trying to crank a disc as hard as you can and your wrist follow through causes the disc to be released at an anhyzer angle. Used to have a major problem with it and am still having a hard time not doing it. As others have said...very tough to unlearn

Not necessarily true. You can throw an anhyzer without wrist roll, and throwing a flex shot with an overstable driver is a useful shot to have in your arsenal. Most beginners don't have the ability to throw that anhyzer without wrist roll, but they're not always the same thing.

wake911 01-29-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notroman (Post 1817987)
That's how I learned. It's terrible form that takes years of practice to unlearn if you ever take the game seriously, but if they just play it for fun then who cares.

Perfect answer.