Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Disc Golf Courses (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Baskets stolen, Black Mouse DGC in Felton, CA (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81241)

nawanda37 01-30-2013 12:01 AM

Baskets stolen, Black Mouse DGC in Felton, CA

DGCR community,

2 of the 18 baskets at Black Mouse DGC in Felton, CA were stolen this weekend.

We have put a ton of work into this course to turn it from a notoriously difficult to navigate, poison oakey, tangled, hidden gem in the Santa Cruz mountains, into a beautiful, tournament ready, hidden gem in the Santa Cruz mountains. I recently moved to Felton, this has become my home course, and I feel like I've been personally kicked in the nuts.

I am writing to this community for a few reasons:
1) A local has offered to lend us a couple Mach3's for our upcoming Felton Freeze Tournament, but the idea of replacing these baskets with the money we've got is daunting, to say the least. I'm hoping that there is some excellent advice out there for fundraising that has worked well for others.
2) In addition to fund raisers, does anyone know of DG companies who might be willing to help out? I will talk to a friend who works at DGA, but I'd love any suggestions.
and last:
3) Please keep your eyes and ears out for either people selling a couple used Mach3's or bragging about installing them in their backyard. It kills me to know that they're likely to get away with this. This course is something special for DGers. It is the most technical course I've ever seen, either in person or on the net. If theft becomes a pattern at The Mouse, I don't know how it can survive.

Thank you guys and gals.

mashnut 01-30-2013 12:02 AM

Have a 50/50 shot at every area tournament and league. People pay $2 into a CTP for a specific hole, half of it goes to the winner and half goes to the basket fund. I've seen that raise enough money for concrete tee pads at a course in just a year or so.

BogeyNoMore 01-30-2013 12:27 AM

^ this works well for course improvements where there's an healthy league or lots of tourneys. Players really seem to like it and even people who don't get into Ace pools jump in on CTP's. Just make it a hole even noodle arms and women can reach - the more people who think they have realistic shot at it, the more $$ it'll generate.

To ensure it goes smoothly:
1) MAKE SURE EVERYONE WHO PAYS SIGNS THE CTP SHEET.
2) MAKE SURE EVERYONE WHO SIGNS THE CTP SHEET, PAYS.
3) tie a 10' length of string to the pole of the CTP hole to facilitate determining if a given lie is closer.

DutchViking 01-30-2013 12:29 AM

I noticed this posted in the facebook group and it just sickens me, especially right before the Felton Freeze. This happened at De La and a few times at Hellyer in San Jose. This is such selfishness and disrespect directed toward the disc golf community I really don't understand it. What also sucks is that I have never heard of anybody getting caught. Maybe people could list some easy to accomplish, tried and true ideas to make baskets harder to steal

nawanda37 01-30-2013 12:33 AM

Viking, that would be valuable information as well. Also, I love your avatar. I actually have a jersey from just after that one.

Skankin77 01-30-2013 12:39 AM

I hope the baskets get returned soon. Its sad to think people would even consider stealig a basket from a course let alone two..

mashnut 01-30-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchViking (Post 1818221)
I noticed this posted in the facebook group and it just sickens me, especially right before the Felton Freeze. This happened at De La and a few times at Hellyer in San Jose. This is such selfishness and disrespect directed toward the disc golf community I really don't understand it. What also sucks is that I have never heard of anybody getting caught. Maybe people could list some easy to accomplish, tried and true ideas to make baskets harder to steal

Engraving some identifying information inside the pole might at least help if you do think you've figured out who took a basket, and doesn't cost anything besides some time.

BogeyNoMore 01-30-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchViking (Post 1818221)
Maybe people could list some easy to accomplish, tried and true ideas to make baskets harder to steal

When you're installing the baskets, fill the pole with cement.
Once it hardens, it makes it reallytough to cut through the pole with a saw, pipe cutter, or even a torch.

Credit goes to John Minicuci.

mashnut 01-30-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 1818261)
Fill the pole with cement. Once it hardens, it makes it really tough to cut through with a saw or pipe cutter.

Maybe even drive some rebar down through it before you pour in the concrete.

BogeyNoMore 01-30-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashnut (Post 1818262)
Maybe even drive some rebar down through it before you pour in the concrete.

:thmbup: :D