Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Form Analysis/Critique (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Approach shots (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81251)

MrDarkHorse 01-30-2013 02:17 AM

Approach shots

So I was practicing approach shots today. I set up a target about 150-175' away and threw just putters and mids. I was trying to employ the "punch toward the target method" and I was actually having pretty good success accuracy-wise, which is why I wanted to get the video.

But watching it, I think I look pretty stiff and it just seems wrong not following through.

I throw fairly well midrange, but I have a terrible habit of completely shanking it to the left about 25% of the time. Part of it is just lack of practice, but I'm trying to establish a better, more consistent mid range release.

Is this just terrible? Or does it seem reasonable? Any suggestions are helpful, the people I play with pretty much suck and/or have very bad form/technique.

Sorry about the video quality, I had my 6 year old son take the video using my phone.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

skurf 01-30-2013 02:34 AM

Those throws don't look like 150-175'...maybe closer to 100', but I could be wrong. Anyway, for approaches, I will always throw a hyzer if the line is available. I find it easier to judge distance with a hyzer and after a bit of practice it's not too difficult to judge left-to-right either.

sidewinder22 01-30-2013 02:40 AM

Your footwork is not helping you use your body. Keep your feet still and move your weight a little back and forth between your feet and then throw after your weight has moved forward. Keep the disc closer to your chest and lead more with the elbow forward.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

skinnylimbs 01-30-2013 02:44 AM

totally agree with using hyzer lines when possible for open approach. and might try letting your back foot release more off the ground so it allows for more follow through on the throw. It is staying almost planted back there like an anchor against your follow through. ( I see that while I typed this comment someone else has brought up footwork as well )

wake_rider 01-30-2013 02:45 AM

Your reach back is worthless if your dropping/scooping your hand downwards just to reach up, pause a long time, then throw. It all is very "step 1, step 2, step 3, now throw." No sport benefits from lack of fluidity, and your motions are very separated and percussive.

Work on keeping your front foot in the same spot and just shifting your weight rather than slide stepping backwards then stepping forward. Either that, or just start a step behind your marker and step forward into your throw. Either way, eliminating all that wasted reverse movement will allow you better timing and less variation to your motion.

With upshots, you want to have just as much snap on at the end of your pull as a drive, but your arm just doesn't reach back as far or pull at as high of a speed in the throw. It's more of a rock back with just a little arm movement and a flick at the release, but keeping the same type of motion on the finish allows you to get plenty of rotation on the disc while finishing on an accurate line with good touch.

Dan Ensor 01-30-2013 09:29 PM

You're missing the poing of "punching the disc out", I believe. It looks like you're just stopping your arm. You punch the disc out by abruptly changing the direction you're pulling (with the arm). You should still be following through, or your arm will decelerate (probably before the hit).

I'm not an expert (so a confirmation/denial would be cool) but I did stay at a holliday inn express last night.

MrDarkHorse 01-31-2013 12:34 AM

So I'm still completely experimenting with different approaches.

Here's what I was trying today. Basically trying to do a mini x-step and more shoulder rotation and follow through.

I threw just putters and mids again. I really slowed down the speed today, especially on the putters. Actually I have a question about that. If you're throwing a slow disc, do you have to either throw it slowly or do a hyzer flip to keep it level? Sorry in advance for the dumb questions. :o

hold up... video still processing

sidewinder22 01-31-2013 01:56 AM

Stable putters can handle a full drive, you just have to throw them clean. Learning to drive far with putters is a great thing to do. You want to use your body to lead and whip your lower arm more. You were trying to throw with all arm and your body was following.

Alcuin 01-31-2013 02:11 AM

My approach shots are either extended jump putts (from around 100' or so) or powered down versions of a shot (from 100-175' or so). In the 100-175' range, I have little to no reach back, loosen my grip so as not to put too much spin on the disc, and pivot more slowly. It's basically a mini version of what I do for a full drive, and I'm definitely pivoting my body fully because that's just what I'm comfortable and consistent with. My body throws the shot, just like a drive, but does so slower and with more focus on control than power. The approach shot is a pared down version of your normal drive.

Like Sidewinder says, throwing putters is key. They take very little to get them going a good distance and are the easiest discs to control. Once you're comfortable getting them out farther, it is easier just to power down and focus on control by shortening or even eliminating your reach back, loosening your grip (i.e. going form power to fan, or loosing a fork grip), and slowing down your pivot. I almost never take a run up for an approach shot, since I can get solid distance from a stand still with the putter and it gives me more control. Getting to that point takes some practice, but it's well worth it. Keep at it!

MrDarkHorse 01-31-2013 08:55 AM

Here's the video from yesterday.

(a couple notes) I know this looks clunky, but I've only been even trying to learn correct form for about 2 weeks. I mean, I basically just discovered that correct form existed. Plus, I just switched hands about a month ago. (I've always thrown RHBH in the past, but I'm a natural lefty and I've discovered I get much better snap from my left hand)

I've been reading these forums like crazy and watching a lot of videos, but there's only so much a video can convey. Most of them focus on distance driving and/or certain aspects of the hit, and ignore things like footwork, or vice versa.

Actually the third video sidewinder posted is one of the best I've seen in terms of putting everything together, despite the quality. (although I have to admit I watched it for the first time last night cause I couldn't see the videos before from my phone)

But yeah, somethings definitely not right cause I wasn't able to get a clean line with my putters yesterday unless I really slowed down the speed of my throw. I mean, I'm focusing as much as I possibly can on keeping the release as flat as can be and keeping the nose angle down, but I while it would start out flat, it was flipping to an anhyzer angle and flutter away. I'm this is OAT, but unfortunately I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I've tried standing still, taking one step, rocking back and forth with my knees bent, but I think I can control the OAT the best if I do a mini x step. (although watching the video I think I'm travelling too far, and need to tighten that up... that was the first time I've ever tried an x step for short distances)

By slowing down the speed of the throw, I was able to maintain a strait line. That's why I asked if you have to throw with a hyzer angle for higher speed throws to get it to flatten out.

Thanks, guys.