Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Reverse sandbagging (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81295)

Mando 01-30-2013 07:08 PM

Reverse sandbagging

As far as I can tell, guys playing up above their ability/rating is much more prevalent than sandbagging. Why do some TD's refuse to acknowledge divisions below intermediate ?
Discuss.

Mando 01-30-2013 07:10 PM

Reverse sandbagging

As far as I can tell, guys playing up above their ability/rating is much more prevalent than sandbagging. Why do some TD's refuse to acknowledge divisions below intermediate and why will some play up anyway ?
Discuss.

PhillyMatt 01-30-2013 07:11 PM

divisionS?

What's below Rec..?

Cgkdisc 01-30-2013 07:12 PM

novice

wake911 01-30-2013 07:13 PM

I don't get it. The divisions are set by a max rating, not a min rating. Consider it extra money for the pool.

Playing up is a great learning opportunity. If you don't care about winning, but about getting better, then play with better people.

mashnut 01-30-2013 07:14 PM

I think the Chicago and Southeastern Wisconsin area is a good model for how well offering those lower divisions can work. They get huge turnouts in all 4 am divisions and get a much higher portion of players playing in divisions appropriate to their rating. I do wish that the names would go away and we could just refer to them by their division codes like MA1 etc. I think that the rec and novice designations end up keeping people out of those divisions out of pride, and also keep some TDs from offering them out of a sense that "novice" and "recreational" players don't belong in tournaments.

Mando 01-30-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashnut (Post 1820098)
I think the Chicago and Southeastern Wisconsin area is a good model for how well offering those lower divisions can work. They get huge turnouts in all 4 am divisions and get a much higher portion of players playing in divisions appropriate to their rating. I do wish that the names would go away and we could just refer to them by their division codes like MA1 etc. I think that the rec and novice designations end up keeping people out of those divisions out of pride, and also keep some TDs from offering them out of a sense that "novice" and "recreational" players don't belong in tournaments.

Good stuff. Pride is definitely a big part of the equation round here. Heck,most un-sanctioned stuff locally is pro and am, with rec level players padding the pro pool and playing with friends.

BigSky 01-30-2013 07:21 PM

Pride?

I play in the "You suck" division. I don't care if you call it Rec, or MA3, or whatever. The only pride I'll have is when I can move up, and improve my game.

Kingace 01-30-2013 07:49 PM

Pro-am is good enough for me

Mando 01-30-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingace (Post 1820176)
Pro-am is good enough for me

I think that is short-term thinking. Novices improve to rec, rec might improve to adv...what's the incentive for anyone below 930 to play ?