Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Arm speed (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81791)

emook 02-05-2013 08:01 PM

Arm speed

Hello. I figured maybe some good advise on my arm speed could come from here. Its not really a big issue with me, but perfecting it helps. As you can see my disc is about even with my shoulder when pull through starts. i'd like to get it about 5/6in closer to my chest. Anyone have any good tips to getting my armspeed caught up would be great. These drives went about 415/420 thrown flat. fixing this is mainly for open field shots. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykqCI...ature=youtu.be

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

sidewinder22 02-05-2013 08:44 PM

If armspeed is what you want, then I'd advise experimenting with a Brinster hop and loosening up. The way you reachback is hindering several things as well. You are all crunched up at the reachback, so you can't get any centripetal pump from the ground. You want to go into compression during the throw. Also you reach too far back with the arm to close to the chest and lean too far back over the rear leg. When you lean so far back, you have move back forward with the body which slows your arm speed. You also get stuck weight back. When you reach back with the arm too far, your body gets in the way of the pull line.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

BIGHAFNER 02-05-2013 11:13 PM

This will sound weird, but trust me. Slow down the rest of your body and concentrate on using your hips to propel your arm. Watch the top pros . Are they moving really fast in their run up? Nope. All moving faster is going to do is make your timing off. Slow it down, and the faster you'll go. With your arm that is.

emook 02-05-2013 11:55 PM

My run up is quite slow actually, I just take long strides, but I'm not moving fast. This video has one extra step I don't take on shorter holes. But yeah I notice my reaching back too far rather than just turning. Thanks guys.

rocthecourse 02-06-2013 12:28 AM

That's a pretty long run up, and it looks like you slow down in the middle as you set up for your x-step. It might just be the video. But if you are slowing down then you could probably cut down on the number of steps you are taking. Just a thought.

emook 02-06-2013 01:18 AM

You are correct sir. I don't take this many steps unless I'm trying to throw over 4. I have field practice tomorrow. Gonna work on these fixes. And when I throw,I sort of feel like I slow down,thanks rocthecourse

AWallen90 02-06-2013 01:19 AM

To me it looks as though you are starting to stop your momentum before you release. At the point of release you should be at your peak momentum and then worry about slowing down. If this doesn't make sense it's because I'm tired and doing tax stuff.

Edit: I rewatched your video. What I was talking about occurred in the second shot. The first shot your speed seemed excellent.

Bobby_B5932 02-07-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGHAFNER (Post 1832860)
This will sound weird, but trust me. Slow down the rest of your body and concentrate on using your hips to propel your arm. Watch the top pros . Are they moving really fast in their run up? Nope. All moving faster is going to do is make your timing off. Slow it down, and the faster you'll go. With your arm that is.

Great advice:clap:

Discwrangler 02-07-2013 05:39 PM

It's a function of the hips. Speed is power.

geoloseth 02-07-2013 10:29 PM

From looking at the video you posted it seems most of your arm speed is spent at the beginning of the pull, you're pulling directly into your left pec, and you are stalling your momentum with a pause from your right foot landing and your left foot pushing off.

From what I've learned is that to maximize your effort the beginning pull should be generated by your lower body and your arm should be driving the elbow forward and the disc to your RIGHT pec/bicep. Imagine trying to pull through where your right shoulder was during your reach back.

The acceleration should then start from kicking off with your bag leg. This drives your hips and torso while all you have to do is extend your arm and tighten your grip. Plus a lot of disc speed can be generated from actively extending your wrist at the moment up to the disc releasing.

If you're near Richardson I'd be happy to go throw with you.