Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Too many mids... what to throw? (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82201)

Grungedude42 02-11-2013 08:52 AM

Too many mids... what to throw?

Well fellow players, I've gotten myself in a place. I'm afraid the answer's probably subjective, but what the heck, let's get some input.
I've got too many mids. I like to keep my mids in different stability slots. I've got a sweet low weight Gold Line Fuse for my understable. I love this disc, and it's a lock in my bag. On the other end of the spectrum, I have a great gummy 175 CFR 2010 Gator. If I need a disc to head left, slam dirt and stick, it's a no brainer. It's a glideless brick of a meathook mid, and is also a lock in my bag.
Now in between is where I have issues. The Core is a great, glidey stable mid. My Cores seem to have very little fade when thrown flat. Thing is, I don't like them under 200'. The glide is too hard to dial in. Off the tee, I love this disc though, it's a great disc to hyzer flip to a straight glide out to 250-275'.
I used to have an amazing Z Buzzz. Less glidey than the Core, and with the fade I could rely on, it seemed to be a great disc from anywhere from 150-250'. Held lines, whatever I asked. Fought out of anny releases to land flat, well most of the time. But I lost it, and haven't "bonded" with a new Z Buzzz since, even though I now own a couple again.
Late last season I added a Pain to the bag to complement my Gator, Core and Fuse. Seems that it lacks the glide of the Core and Fuse, and barely longer than the Gator. Has a decent fade, but it's easy for me to turn it over, and doesn't seem to fade out of that situation. Honestly, I'd rather carry a Hornet, but I don't own any. I've put my Pains up for sale, but part of me wants to keep them since they's so dang pretty. :3
The Ghost is my wild card. Lacks the glide of the Core, but that means I can just sling it and not worry about over shooting my target. Honestly though, I expected more fade. I've not had a lot of rounds with one in the bag, but it seems if I give it a fair chance I could really like it. Meanwhile, I seem to go to my Wizards anytime I'm under 200'. So I'm afraid of a ton of overlap with the Ghost and Wizard combo.
So, I put it out there. Between the Pain, Ghost, Core and Buzzz, what would you carry to fill the gap between the Gator, Fuse and Wizard? My fairways are currently Predator, Eagle X, Volt, Stalker and River, but I'll be putting the River against the Amp this spring. So, I'm not looking for distance longer than the fairways. I'd love to carry them all, but my bag's a Double Nutsac, and 12-13 discs is my hard limit, and mids take up a lot of room.

MyBad 02-11-2013 09:41 AM

Definitely subjective...depending on what you are comfortable with obviously.

Personal thoughts...i would use the pain or buzz depending on your preference for stability - and then use the hell out of it. My game increased drastically when I simplified the mid-range/approach section of my bag. I found I was using 4-5 discs depending on several different factors. While the multi disc approach might work for some who have really dialed in their game over the years, I found it much easier and more consistant to use one disc until I could throw it from numerous angles. Dont get me wrong I still use different drivers off the tee, I have found mid-range/approach to be so much more sensitive though...

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.:thmbup:

KniceZ 02-11-2013 10:19 AM

I carry four mids - over, slight over, straight to slight under, under.

It seems like you've already decided against the Core - "glide is too hard to dial in". Ghost and Gator trajectories look pretty much the same; just the Ghost has more glide. Not sure why yours doesn't have lots of glide and fade.

So I'd go with the Buzzz and Pain.

There is another solution - buy a bigger bag!! :D

Captain Bad 02-11-2013 10:24 AM

Have you tried an Axis? Very neutral flying disc; it'll hold whatever line you give it. Thrown flat it's laser straight and has very little fade. Good glide too I think.

MrFixIt 02-11-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bad (Post 1841744)
Have you tried an Axis? Very neutral flying disc; it'll hold whatever line you give it. Thrown flat it's laser straight and has very little fade. Good glide too I think.

^^^
This. The Axis replaced a Buzzz, Coyote, Aurora, and a couple other discs that I don't remember.
(At least for me)

Grungedude42 02-11-2013 11:25 AM

Got a nice eclipse Axis beat into understable in my glow bag. Been there, nice disc, not what I'm looking for. Really need that touch of fade.
Thinking there's some mid and putter rounds in my future. The one-disc-does all approach is probably gonna leave me with a Buzzz, two disc approach might be Core/Ghost.

rd.bittle 02-11-2013 11:33 AM

I recommend picking up a heavy shark. Not exotic but a great workhorse.

Don't give up on your core. Mine is the greatest pin point shooter I have.

chopz33 02-11-2013 11:56 AM

i hate to add to your issue, but my go to mid right now is the meteor..love that thing

Kingace 02-11-2013 11:59 AM

Roc?

Smigles 02-11-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KniceZ (Post 1841731)
I carry four mids - over, slight over, straight to slight under, under.

I'd follow this sezup and fill it with the discs you like. I dont realy know the discs you use, but for reference, my setup is drone, wasp, buzzz, comet.