Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Forehand grip Q. Finger pad placement. (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82342)

Darkgreen 02-12-2013 03:50 PM

Forehand grip Q. Finger pad placement.

Iím starting to work a forehand into my game and I want to develop proper technique. My question centers on where to put the pad of your middle finger. On the rim or on the flight plate or wedged into the spot where the rim and the flight plate meet. Would like to hear some opinions.

Iím going to talk this out to give you an idea of where my thinking is at. Feel free to call me a nutty noob on any point.

Pad placement seems to me very important as it seems like how you place your pad is going to dictate how you move your wrist. On the flight plate it seems like you are going to be karate chopping or hammering with your palm facing towards the sky. On the rim you are going to have your hand out like a handshake and making more of a slapping motion. Am I wrong here?

Iíve watched a lot of tutorial videos and Iíve seen both techniques. It seems like the pad on the flight plate will give you power through the hammer motion with the fingers acting like the end of a pendulum. The pads on the rim you get your power more through the snap of the fingers.

Iíve also seen some tutorials (Iím thinking Jeremy Koling here and a couple others) where they have the center of the pad jammed into where the flight plate and the rim meet. I have no idea what wrist motion to use in this case.

jchoate7 02-12-2013 04:04 PM

I personally actually only use my pointer finger underneath the disc. The pad of my pointer finger is rested on the inside of the rim. My middle finger is actually on the outside of the rim and my thumb is placed on top. If your going to use the middle finger as the finger your releasing from make sure the pad of your finger is on the inside of the rim. This is where you will obtain your torque from. Biggest thing is though use what is comfortable and consistent for what works with you.

justactnormal 02-12-2013 04:33 PM

I pretty much use a 2 finger power grip for most forehand shots, especially drives. Forehand is not my strong suit by any means, but I do find it useful when there's no room for a backhand pull or I need to get right.

So for me, it's both fingers (index and middle) pressing against the inside of the rim not flat against the underside of the flightplate. There's a few reasons I do it this way.... it minimizes the drag of the rim across my middle finger where calluses can form from flicking a lot, I can get a lot more snap by keeping my elbow close and pushing the rim with my fingers instead of letting the disc kinda slide out and for me, it helps keep wrist roll in check. It's hard for me to keep a good flat angle of release trying to chop at it with my fingers facing up the whole time. If you power grip it, you really just can keep your arm loose and flick it with your wrist and off the tips of your fingers, no run up necessary.

It's easy to put too much on mids doing it this way, and force them all the way over..... even overstable mids b/c they're just not meant to fly that fast. Get a stack of at least 4 or 5 of the same disc (I like Rocs) and just get to a field and test out what works for you. It's easier to feel and fix problems if you get a few of the same disc and flick 'em, concentrating on release angle. Most mids will need at least some degree of hyzer angle and you'll find that you can release faster discs much flatter and they'll take off out of your hand like a rocket!! (ideally)

Good luck and just have fun practicing it.

DikkaD 02-12-2013 04:33 PM

I have a huge blister/callous on the middle of my index finger. I rest that against the edge of the rim or the bead. I actually use self sticking tape because it can hurt after a full round of playing.

^^Edit I have also been trying this technique to lessen the drag, but I always find my self resting my finger on the bead.

Fraser 02-12-2013 05:07 PM

There really isn't a 'wrong' grip. You should try placing the pads of your finger wherever they need to be to help minimize wrist roll. It is very easy to roll your wrist over at the hit and having a grip that minimizes this will go a long way in having a smooth and controllable FH. I personally use a stack grip (pad of the middle finger half on the rim and on the flight plate.) For me, this helps to control OAT. A two finger power grip (both finger pads on the rim only) for others will help them control their OAT. Others, it might be a split finger control grip or just one finger. You should try them all and find the one that works for you the best.

The first thing I would work on is reducing OAT with mids or neutral fairway drivers with whatever grip gives you the best results. Once you have a smooth and relatively OAT free throw, then you can start experimenting with other grips to maximize your power. Resolving OAT problems at the start will go a long way to maximizing your distance. Having a solid FH before experimenting with power will benefit you much faster in the long run.

It should also be said to try and throw as flat as possible and get a level flight out of the disc instead of throwing with an anhyzer release to flex your drive out. A lot of people that usually do this for distance can't throw understable or slow discs well (I was one of these people). There is nothing quite like hearing someone say, "you just parked this 200' tunnel shot using a putter, with a flick?"

Darkgreen 02-12-2013 05:16 PM

Thanks for the responses. I would love to hear more.

Fraser, with your pad on the flight plate and on the rim, can you describe your wrist movement? Karate chop palm up or more handshake slapping motion? Or something inbetween or something else?

Fraser 02-12-2013 07:03 PM

Darkgreen, I've never really analyzed what I actually do. I actually transition between a two-finger stacked grip to a power-grip during the hit. However, I will not recommend anyone doing this as I'm sure this can compound any wrist-roll that you might have. It's just a natural motion that works for me.

Now for my wrist motion which might be of help to you. This is more of a palm-up karate chop that has a lot of flexibility in the wrist. My wrist goes from open to closed very quickly at the hit. The best way for me to describe this is to grab a disc in whatever grip feels comfortable to you and rotate the disc so that the top of the flight plate is facing left (assuming RH) and the disc being perpendicular to the ground. Now, open your wrist like you were trying to hit the top of your forearm with the edge of the disc and then rapidly closing your wrist, trying to hit the bottom of your forearm. This is the motion that happens at the hit. The faster that this happens and the amount of travel between your wrist being open and closed will result in longer and more stable disc flights. I try to keep my palm facing up as long as possible throughout the entire throw.

Imparting spin on the disc (what I just described in the wrist motion) is the key to distance with a FH. The more flexible, smooth, quick and amount of travel this motion is, the longer the disc will stay in the air before fading out. If you try to muscle the disc (just using your arm without any wrist movement), you will not impart any real spin on the disc causing it to either turn-and-burn or fade-off very quickly.

Without a run-up or a backswing, I can push discs out to about 200'. Every type of disc requires adjustments to your throw to find the balance between speed, spin, how much (if any) run-up and backswing. Just like backhand, you want to feel as you did nothing at all to make the disc fly. Smooth and quick without force.

Karl 02-12-2013 07:21 PM

For me, throwing a fh and writing with a pen is virtually no difference...at least in how I hold each implement. But as has already been said, there's no "right or wrong way", just right or wrong for YOU. I've tried just about every possible grip and settled on the one that's good for ME. That's what field practice is for!

Karl

Mike C 02-12-2013 07:56 PM

I stack my index and middle finger side by side, not on top of each other, and place them right up against the rim so that the side of my middle finger is on the rim and the pads are on the underside of the flightplate. If you click the links in my sig to go to my youtube I have a video of my grips on there.

sidewinder22 02-12-2013 08:23 PM

Middle finger pad always on the rim. I mostly use the power grip with the index bent and pad on the rim. Keep the palm facing/perpendicular to the target line. Wrist snaps at target line and fingers clench. Just like an infielder throwing to 1st.