Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   SkillShot Challenge? (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82407)

keltik 02-13-2013 09:54 AM

SkillShot Challenge?

used the google search function and got nothing... /anti-prerube

So after listening to the Jay "Yeti" Reading interview on DGTR (thanks Steve "chainchaser" for your show) I got to thinking about the SkillShot challenge that got brought up. He said that our very own Chuck Kennedy came up with 20 essential skills for every disc golfer. so I went to the E.D.G.E. site and found this: http://edgediscgolf.org/download/SkillShot.pdf

reading the skills/activities it seems like a really good practice routine for the short game. My only question is about the upside down shot. for why?

Chuck could you explain what you intended if possible?

I'd like to hear other thoughts on this as well.

PhattD 02-13-2013 10:24 AM

There are a couple of reasons to throw an upside down shot.
The one I see most is when someone wants the disc to drop down directly behind an obstacle. once it starts to hyzer it just drops.

I've also seen it used on approaches where you want to slide the disc up to the target.

b-mart 02-13-2013 10:59 AM

PhattD got it. I was playing a close round with a buddy in Pullman once and he was behind a big pine tree that had branches almost all the way to the ground. The basket was just on the other side of it, and I knew that he should throw an upside down shot under the branches. I told him so as soon as he threw a disc right into the branches. I wasn't going to give advice if I could gain a stroke on him. Well, he tried the upside down shot for kicks, and it slid right in next to the basket. I don't remember if I beat him that day or not.

A year later I made the mistake of giving advice to someone during a tournament, and the dude beat me by half a stroke (as in, we tied, but he had more birdies).

Moral of the story? Don't give advice until after someone screws up :D.

Aim For The Chains 02-13-2013 11:26 AM

upside down also works really well for STRONG head-wind putts where the disc will lift just leaving your hands or you have to snap it out laser spin style hoping it sticks the chains-- upside down the disc just drops, no glide and very OS flight. Not really a viable option 15' or more outside the pin but great for those close drop-ins that you are worried about floating away.

Cgkdisc 02-13-2013 11:33 AM

One way to use the upside down shot is going over and around obstacles like a big pine tree, bush or building maybe 40-75 feet from the pin. You throw it with your arm over your head along with the disc at a 45 degree angle and either loft or flick it. For a right hander, it will naturally curve to the right and you can (I've done several) sink shots with it. If you miss, it still lands close to the pin (except on snow/ice.) You can also use it as a putting style when you have over 25mph headwinds.

Aim For The Chains 02-13-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cgkdisc (Post 1846231)
One way to use the upside down shot is going over and around obstacles like a big pine tree, bush or building maybe 40-75 feet from the pin. You throw it with your arm over your head along with the disc at a 45 degree angle and either loft or flick it. For a right hander, it will naturally curve to the right and you can (I've done several) sink shots with it. If you miss, it still lands close to the pin (except on snow/ice.) You can also use it as a putting style when you have over 25mph headwinds.

:thmbup: Have used the upside down putts MANY times at Elm Creek'

There is a video somewhere of both of these shots in a putting tutorial.. You are right about the curve much easier than trying to throw a huge anny or flick which end up gliding way past the target-- forgot about this shot!

keltik 02-13-2013 12:30 PM

some of you are describing a flop/pancake shot from what I'm reading (tomahawk with a low angle). I use this a lot for getting up and over or around trees. I guess when I read the description of the challenge I guess I imagined a full backhand throw with the disc upside down. I have heard people suggest upside down putting into the wind before. Still all great suggestions and comments.

Chuck you didn't really talk about how you came up with the SkillShot challenge. You are a "Maven" after all...

Dan Ensor 02-13-2013 01:07 PM

People throw backhand uds for the same reason. Throw it like a spike hyzer, and it goes almost straight up and down.

Also, Feldy uses a "skomahawk" backhand shot that flies like a thumber. It looks like he's throwing a sky roller, but it flips onto its top in the air and then hyzers out like a thumber.

It's a pretty easy shot to control distance on, because you use both release angle and power to control the distance.

I use them instead of anhyzers if I'm worried about bite and roll. It lands on the better edge to lay down if it does bite. Tomahawk release when I'm replacing a bh, thumber to replace a fh. You can stretch out to the same side as both the replaced throws.

sprintermatt 02-13-2013 01:16 PM

It's a thumber, tomahawk or scooby... yes, any shot where the disc flies upside down for some portion of the flight qualifies. Back in the day I threw som that did not qualify while trying to learn the right accurate shot.

Cgkdisc 02-13-2013 05:05 PM

Here's the story on Skillshot and how it got included as a core program for EDGE. It was December 2000 and I was watching the ball golf skills challenge on TV. I was thinking we could do the same thing as a special event somewhere. The Twin Cities was hosting Pro Worlds that summer of 2001. My idea was to get a top player in each age division including women and do a skills exhibition event the next day after Worlds Finals. I was able to pull that off and we even had some spectators. I think Hosfeld may have won. I think we did maybe 10 different shots and the scoring was in rank order of closest to the hole with the closest person of the 8 getting 8 points on down to 1 for farthest away on each skill.

Harold Duvall heard about this event and contacted me sometime later that year after Worlds. Innova had been thinking about an educational program but didn't have a plan worked out yet. They saw that some sort of skills challenge/testing might work. Jon Lyksett had been talking with them about educational efforts. Harold connected Jon with me to discuss. With his background in scouting, he suggested the patch concept as a way to award skills advancement. We "hatched" the idea to use birds for the four levels of patches and figured out what skills would be part of each level.

Separate from the EDGE program, I installed SkillShot stations by installing bricks in the ground on some of our courses so you could play SkillShot hole by hole instead of a regular round. That never really got off the ground though. But EDGE seems to be working well and we continue to do the EDG Skills Challenge at Pro and Am Worlds each year. We've talked about coming up with a more advanced version more challenging for players over 950 rating or so. But that hasn't hatched yet.