Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   What does the term "more stable" mean? (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82517)

BHolicki 02-14-2013 07:53 PM

What does the term "more stable" mean?

Example: I was at a DD Two disc challenge today and asked the guy running the event how the two plastics fuzion and lucid fly with the escape. And he said the fuzion is "more stable". Can someone clear this up for me?

Allurex 02-14-2013 07:56 PM

inb4 ****storm

prerube 02-14-2013 08:03 PM

It is a huge debate.
to some it means more overstable
while others it means closer to nuetral.

Buiscutboy 02-14-2013 08:12 PM

From what I've heard about that disc, the Fuzion wants to fade earlier and harder than the Lucid, and maybe doesn't turn as much.

That's what I usually think someone means when they say a disc is more stable.

craftsman 02-14-2013 08:12 PM

Internet kids like to say stable refers to the one or two discs that are stable.
Real discers use stable as overstable.

Ted Bratton 02-14-2013 08:13 PM

Personally more stable and less stable makes more sense to me, so that is how I choose to word it. Therefore I think the person who said that means that it is more overstable.

BogeyNoMore 02-14-2013 08:16 PM

IMO, it's a simple matter of understanding the English language. The term "more" is relative to begin with, and has no context without a comparative reference. "I need more money," implies you need more than you currently have, or than the amount being discussed.

One disc can be more stable than another, meaning it has greater stability than the other.
A Firebird is more stable than a Viking, which is more stable than a Valk, which is more stable than a Sidewinder... Road Runner.

Hence the phrase "more stable" can be used to compare two understable discs (Sidewinder and Roadrunner) relative to each other.

Describing a single disc as being more stable makes no sense, as it lacks a basis for comparison.

Within the context of the game, Understable, Stable, and Overstable make sense when describing a single disc, but in actuality, even they are relative terms.

joshuajames 02-14-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 1849140)
IMO, it's a simple matter of understanding the English language. The term "more" is relative to begin with, and has no context without a comparative reference. "I need more money," implies you need more than you currently have, or than the amount being discussed.

One disc can be more stable than another, meaning it has greater stability than the other.
A Firebird is more stable than a Viking, which is more stable than a Valk, which is more stable than a Sidewinder... Road Runner.

Hence the phrase "more stable" can be used to compare two understable discs (Sidewinder and Roadrunner) relative to each other.

Describing a single disc as being more stable makes no sense, as it lacks a basis for comparison.

Within the context of the game, Understable, Stable, and Overstable make sense when describing a single disc, but in actuality, even they are relative terms.

What he said.

Seriously

plastic cannon 02-14-2013 08:25 PM

I get around the whole stable, overstable thing by just calling overstable stuff beefy. I.e That firebird isn't as beefy as this one. Problem solved.

Edit: 2,000 posts.

*Insert speech here*

blackcatsmith 02-14-2013 08:29 PM

My table is more stable than my file cabinet. I think of stable as zero. anything in the negative is under stable, anything in the positive is over stable. The higher your disc is over stable the faster it will hook up and fade . The lower your disc is under stable the more the disc will readily turn away from the direction of it's eventual fade. There should be a disc named the Zero. or is there one? Anyway that's my understanding of stable. There are many many other attributes that go along with a disc's stability, be it over or under....wind comes to mind. Saying something is more stable does remind me of ads for things purposing to have "more taste!". Which only makes sense in neanderthal speak.